Anybody think Pixel 2 XL black look boring?

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
It is a big boring but I spiced mine up with this case. It is just as bright in person as it is in the picture. Gives me the ability to make my phone boring again if I so choose.

At first I was like OMG this is busy but this case with the black front it isn't too bad and the orange/pink power button is awesome.

This is the Google cloth case and it is very nice feeling (like the Google home and pixel buds case) but it will not protect your phone very much. I paired mine with a screen protector (glass) and it is awesome.1515882202400.jpg1515882315644.jpg

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It is a big boring but I spiced mine up with this case. It is just as bright in person as it is in the picture. Gives me the ability to make my phone boring again if I so choose.

At first I was like OMG this is busy but this case with the black front it isn't too bad and the orange/pink power button is awesome.

This is the Google cloth case and it is very nice feeling (like the Google home and pixel buds case) but it will not protect your phone very much. I paired mine with a screen protector (glass) and it is awesome.View attachment 277751View attachment 277752

Love the top case! Good choice!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree. There's a big difference between actual and perceived value and how folks differentiate (or fail to) between the two. I tend to look at actual values...which is why I have a lot of non-name brand clothes.

yeah, I am a function over form person myself. I've always valued utility over appearance when it comes to phones. I could never see myself dropping $40 on a case... or even over $20... I have a Spigen Rugged Armor on my 2XL at the moment, think I paid $9 for it.

Same goes for screen protectors. Even tempered glass I think the max I've spent is about $15 or so. I've been using a IQShield plastic one (under $10) and I couldn't be happier. Work is that Zagg finally came up with a full coverage tempered glass for curved screens, but it'll run upwards of like $50... yeah, all set with that. The point of a screen protector is to protect the screen with a sacrificial layer that's cheap to replace.... $50 ain't exactly cheap... it's halfway to the Pixel Protect deductible for a shattered screen.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I do think the black looks rather 'boring' but then again, I think the Pixel 2/2XL on a whole aren't very attractive devices at all. Compared to all the other flagships (Galaxy S8/8+/Note 8, G6/V30, U11/U11+, iPhone X) I think the Pixel 2/2XL has easily the most boring and ugly design of the lot. Functional sure, but not necessarily attractive for the price it is.

The panda to me looks slightly better, but not much. Hopefully those 2,000 HTC employees can put some hardware design flare into the Pixel 3/3XL next year. I thought the U11 and U11+ looks stunning and I really hope Google get some actual good hardware designers to lead the next phone.

agreed. The Pixels are never sexy phones. The Galaxy S, Note and iPhones look much better.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
^as the above guy says, Pixels aren't 'sexy'. It's the inside that counts with them. Lol.

But for me, any phone I get, back from the days of the almighty 3310, I always get grey or black. It's just sleek and not ostentatiously screaming what phone you have. But that's just me and my preferences. Plus black phones look great when themed with Batman or Darth Vader.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Love the stealth look of the black....so that's the one I chose. If "kinda blue" was a choice for the XL then I would have picked that one because it's different and looks cool.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I'm amazed at how many people care.

Me too. I spend very little time looking at my phone.

I place it on the desk face up - they are all black faced, so all look the same.
When I am using it for calls, I can't see it.

Cell phones have become a way-of-life-fashion-statement item me thinks.
Not that there's anything wrong with that - :cool:

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I always use a case and I think the clear ones look too cheap, IMO.

But I do love the panda look. I'm surprised that someone has not made a case that replicates the panda look. A white hard case with a black piece at the top. Keep stock look with some protection.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I always use a case and I think the clear ones look too cheap, IMO.

But I do love the panda look. I'm surprised that someone has not made a case that replicates the panda look. A white hard case with a black piece at the top. Keep stock look with some protection.

Dbrand does make a skin that resembles the Panda look - I ordered one for my Pixel 2. However, it is a skin so it only provides a slight bit of protection. A case, like you were saying, would add a bit more protection/shock absorption. I'll have to see how it looks and protects when it arrives - and when I actually purchase the phone haha.

Dbrand actually has a slew of customization options, and it was super fun to make one. One of the "displayed" items was actually a Panda skin - I guess lots of people want that look!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Dbrand does make a skin that resembles the Panda look - I ordered one for my Pixel 2. However, it is a skin so it only provides a slight bit of protection. A case, like you were saying, would add a bit more protection/shock absorption. I'll have to see how it looks and protects when it arrives - and when I actually purchase the phone haha.

Dbrand actually has a slew of customization options, and it was super fun to make one. One of the "displayed" items was actually a Panda skin - I guess lots of people want that look!

I guess if you hate cases Panda over Panda might offer minimal protection.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member