SMS While Driving

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've tried Android Auto in the past. My main problem is that it doesn't integrate with Sirius/XM. If I want to listen to Spotify, Auto is fine. If I want to listen to Sirius I need to exit the app first. If I can figure out how to get Assistant to do the job, that would be preferable.

Honestly.... I got rid of SAT radio because I get better stuff through Spotify, Google Play and Amazon Prime.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
But you have to take your mind off driving, and I've responded to many accidents caused by people using their minds for things other than driving. You can stare directly at the rapidly-approaching trunk of the car in front of you and ram right into it - as your mind is in the text you're dictating. People will claim to be multitasking, but the human brain usually fixates on something and ignores more important things.

I don't care if you never post here again, but I'd like you to be able to, physically.

Hands-free has never been an issue for me. I'd rather have people use the hands-free then actually read their text and try to type that's for sure

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hands-free has never been an issue for me. I'd rather have people use the hands-free then actually read their text and try to type that's for sure
It's never been an issue for me, but it has been for many people whose accidents I responded to. "I was using a hands-free" is, to me, an admission of "I wasn't paying attention to traffic". We're kind of "wired" to pay attention to what we're talking about or hearing, like the phone reading a text to us. "Oops, that was a stone wall I just hit. Where did it come from? I never saw it."

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
There are shows I enjoy listening to on Sirius/XM. Most of my listening is through HD Radio on my car's radio, second is Spotify, and third is S/XM. I'd like to have the option of listening to whatever I want, when I want. Auto doesn't allow that.

I spoke with Google Support. The only way for Assistant to read texts out to me while driving is for me to ask it to do so. The only other option is to find a third party app. I'd rather not do that, so for now I'll try asking Assistant.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's never been an issue for me, but it has been for many people whose accidents I responded to. "I was using a hands-free" is, to me, an admission of "I wasn't paying attention to traffic".
Distracted driving is still distracted driving regardless of the distraction. I believe in New Jersey it's against the law to eat or drink while driving.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
There are shows I enjoy listening to on Sirius/XM. Most of my listening is through HD Radio on my car's radio, second is Spotify, and third is S/XM. I'd like to have the option of listening to whatever I want, when I want. Auto doesn't allow that.

I spoke with Google Support. The only way for Assistant to read texts out to me while driving is for me to ask it to do so. The only other option is to find a third party app. I'd rather not do that, so for now I'll try asking Assistant.

What do you have against third party apps? Good ones are what kind of make or break a platform in many ways

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Not at all true; many studies have proven this fact.
What studies?

With AA, my phone stays in my pocket. I don't touch it or look at it. I can put it in the back seat. My eyes don't have to leave the road.

How is this any different than talking to a passenger.

I have to take my eyes off the road to change my climate control. How is that safer?

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
What do you have against third party apps? Good ones are what kind of make or break a platform in many ways

I don't have anything against third party apps. I use them. I was just hoping Assistant would be able to handle this task as well as Moto did. It seems like a simple request. For now I'll test out asking Assistant to read them out to me and see how that goes. If that doesn't work out I'll try a third party app. :)

Regarding the other topic of discussion, my question in the OP wasn't whether or not I should use voice texting while driving. I do. The question was how best to achieve this goal. I appreciate the constructive replies and suggestions.

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Cognitive distraction, those who suffer this while using hands free also suffer with just talking to a passenger.

Some are better than others.

My wife, when hands free, will lose focus of the road over the conversation. I will lose focus of the conversation over the road.

Not everyone is the same.

You believe that, I am sure.

But, science says otherwise. Humans, for the most part, find it difficult to not act as humans do despite their best attempts to do otherwise.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note

I think we are getting a tad bit off-topic. If you want to debate the science of distracted driving I suggest making a post about it in the General Discussion area or something of that nature.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Mod Note

I think we are getting a tad bit off-topic. If you want to debate the science of distracted driving I suggest making a post about it in the General Discussion area or something of that nature.

Thank you.

I'm looking for recommendations for third party apps in case I don't like asking Assistant to speak up. :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you.

I'm looking for recommendations for third party apps in case I don't like asking Assistant to speak up. :)

With Android auto it will prompt you if you want the message to be read and it will do the same for reply..... That won't work for you?

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
With Android auto it will prompt you if you want the message to be read and it will do the same for reply..... That won't work for you?

Android Auto is my last option because it prevents me from opening apps not supported by it, like Sirius/XM. If Auto was compatible with Sirius, I'd be all in.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Android Auto for the last couple of days. I agree that it is easy to use. I do wish that there was a verbal prompt from the system asking if I would like to have an incoming text read aloud. Instead there is a visual prompt with a button to have it read out. It works as is, but it would be better if I didn't need to look at the phone at all.

I had navigation and Spotify running through Auto this afternoon. The navigation got hung up for a minute and then the phone rebooted. After the reboot was complete I had to turn on Auto manually. It didn't come on automatically with Bluetooth as it usually does. After I started Auto, I no longer received any prompts when texts came in. Hopefully that will resolve itself.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Android Auto for the last couple of days. I agree that it is easy to use. I do wish that there was a verbal prompt from the system asking if I would like to have an incoming text read aloud. Instead there is a visual prompt with a button to have it read out. It works as is, but it would be better if I didn't need to look at the phone at all.

Agreed. This is also one of my gripes with Android Auto.

That and while you are on the phone while navigating the navigation takes a back seat to the phone call too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana