Turning on hotspot turns off phone after update

FortMaceo

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Hello all. Samsung Galaxy S10, Android 12. I installed the suggested Android update a few days ago. Ever since then, it's been having the issue I'll describe here.

I use my phone as a hotspot to run a dash-mounted Android tablet when I'm driving. I simply enable the hotspot on my phone when I get in my truck. This has always worked whether or not the phone is connected to wi-fi. Additionally, when my home internet goes out, I turn off the wi-fi on my phone, enable the hotspot, and use internet on my PC.

Since this update, if I enable the hotspot on my phone while it's connected to wi-fi, no problem. But as soon as I get out of range of wi-fi, the phone restarts and the hotspot is off when the phone comes back on. Similarly, if I enable the hotspot on my phone while it's not connected to wi-fi, the phone restarts and the hotspot is off when the phone comes back on.

This happens at all battery levels. I've tried it with battery saver both on and off, same results.

I could not find anyone else having this issue. Searches on google and here both found many instances of the hotspot itself turning off, but not enabling the hotspot causing the phone to turn off.

Any suggestions on settings to change or how to otherwise troubleshoot - and hopefully fix - it? If not, do you have a recommended third-party hotspot app? I used PdaNet+ on a previous Samsung Android phone and while it worked (usually), it was not as easy as the built-in hotspot that has been working great on this phone until now. Thank you.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Have you reported this to Samsung? I'd go to the members app and submit an automated crash report every time the phone restarts. I do have an old s10e if I get the chance later I will blow the dust off it and see if I can replicate the error

Reactions: FortMaceo

FortMaceo

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Have you reported this to Samsung? I'd go to the members app and submit an automated crash report every time the phone restarts. I do have an old s10e if I get the chance later I will blow the dust off it and see if I can replicate the error
Excellent suggestion, thank you. No, I hadn't thought to do that but I just did and will continue to do so on future restarts. And thank you in advance for seeing if your S10e does it. Based on my inability to find others reporting the same issue, I fear I might be the only one, but maybe not. I appreciate your help.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, missed that post, sorry.

If it persists after everything we've tried, I don't think it's fixable by anyone other than samsung. Could be wrong.

Might be worth trying with a different SIM just to rule any network provider weirdness.
Can also have Samsung help in settings under remotely help see if they can do anything that way

Reactions: FortMaceo

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the support doc. I had never put this phone in Safe Mode, so it really helped me. I tested it. Not sure what it tells us, though, that the problem occurs even in Safe Mode with every third party app disabled.
What that means is that the problem isn't due to some 3rd party app you installed, but rather with the system software or hardware. You've done pretty much everything short of factory reset, so the next step would be a factory reset. If the problem persists after the reset, then the only other thing to try would be to reflash the firmware -- @mustang7757 can help with that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What that means is that the problem isn't due to some 3rd party app you installed, but rather with the system software or hardware. You've done pretty much everything short of factory reset, so the next step would be a factory reset. If the problem persists after the reset, then the only other thing to try would be to reflash the firmware -- @mustang7757 can help with that.
Yeah definitely can help with that if they want to try .