What is Kanvas App?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I went to attach an image to a text message (I use Verizon Message+) and was shown the previous three images in preview windows, tapped on the image I wanted, and I got a message "initializing Kanvas App" that got stuck giving me the busy symbol.

I backed out of that, tapped the add image icon then instead of using the offered preview images I went into Google Photos and selected the image I wanted with no problem.

What is the Kanvas app? How did it get on my Pixel 2 XL?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Apparently it is a photo editing app within Message+ that got installed when Message+ updated. Looking at the Verizon forum several users were not too pleased with it (to put it mildly.)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Apparently it is a photo editing app within Message+ that got installed when Message+ updated.
I've got version 6.5.2 of Verizon Message+ and it still behaves correctly. What is the version of the application that added this functionality? I'll put it on the update blacklist.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've got version 6.5.2 of Verizon Message+ and it still behaves correctly. What is the version of the application that added this functionality? I'll put it on the update blacklist.
I'm running 6.5.2 as well. If, when attaching an image to a text message, you go directly into the Gallery instead of attaching from a preview, you won't see Kanvas.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I was using the Verizon messaging app for years, and switched to Textra with the Pixel 2. So much better. I used to hate the way Verizon attaches messages.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm running 6.5.2 as well. If, when attaching an image to a text message, you go directly into the Gallery instead of attaching from a preview, you won't see Kanvas.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you typed. I pretty much exclusively attach images from the preview (the most recent pictures shown in a small area next to the Camera icon) and I don't see any other application/feature. I just type some text for the associated message and hit the Send button.

However, if I select the Gallery icon (just below the Camera icon that the previews are beside) and select a picture there, then some kind of image editing feature (Kanvas? v1.3.09) is shown. I've attached a screenshot of that view, but it's worth noting that I don't see any message that identifies it as Kanvas, and it's certainly not having trouble loading it.
c79f47c650d5222338dc79ea0f2614a8.jpg

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I was using the Verizon messaging app for years, and switched to Textra with the Pixel 2. So much better. I used to hate the way Verizon attaches messages.
Can you be more specific about 'hate the way Verizon attaches messages'? I don't have any particular issues with attachments but I'm open to a better implementation.
The reason that I continue to use Verizon Message+ is that it integrates Glympse within the application and I like not having to switch to yet another application to have that capability. (Plus, the actual Glympse application sucks.) Does Textra include that feature?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you typed. I pretty much exclusively attach images from the preview (the most recent pictures shown in a small area next to the Camera icon) and I don't see any other application/feature. I just type some text for the associated message and hit the Send button.

However, if I select the Gallery icon (just below the Camera icon that the previews are beside) and select a picture there, then some kind of image editing feature (Kanvas? v1.3.09) is shown. I've attached a screenshot of that view, but it's worth noting that I don't see any message that identifies it as Kanvas, and it's certainly not having trouble loading it

I just tested texting images from the preview and from the gallery. My phone is now behaving exactly like yours.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Can you be more specific about 'hate the way Verizon attaches messages'? I don't have any particular issues with attachments but I'm open to a better implementation.
The reason that I continue to use Verizon Message+ is that it integrates Glympse within the application and I like not having to switch to yet another application to have that capability. (Plus, the actual Glympse application sucks.) Does Textra include that feature?

Within a text message, if I want to send a photo, both apps have the + sign. With Textra, the + sign opens up all my images in order. However, with Verizon, the + opens up a window with about 8 different app icons to chose. Egifts, yahoo search, collage, places, etc. Too much noise. You can see the recent images (although very tiny thumbnails), but Verizon also had the problem that those recent images are not always up to date or in order. I would have to scroll forever to find an image I took earlier that day.

There was just too much noise and the extra clicks to attach from within the Verizon messaging app.

There are a few other items I like about Textra better too. Better customization to have it look just like i want. I like the pop up hovering box too when responding, instead of opening entire thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty