Smart Lock's Trusted Location option is gone (UPD: It's back)

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Smart Lock's Trusted Location option is gone

The term "beta" appears to have no meaning to some. I'm happily using Android P beta, no significant problems, and not having my phone unlocked in "trusted places" sure isn't a deal breaker.

For that that it is, go back to Android O and wait for Android P.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

The term "beta" appears to have no meaning to some. I'm happily using Android P beta, no significant problems, and not having my phone unlocked in "trusted places" sure isn't a deal breaker.

The Trusted Places issue is not related to P from what I'm reading here. It isn't a deal breaker for me either since I don't use it, however that does not negate it's importance to others.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

I like it, very convenient, but a deal breaker? Not.
Likin' "P" even with a qwerk or two it is very smooth and the better battery life more than makes up for this issue anyway. :) They will get it ironed out.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

While you may be right in some circumstances ... This isn't just an Android P thing.

Assuming isn't always the best route to go when trying to scold people for something ;).

As you can see @DMP89145 (in this same thread) showed it is gone on Android O ... https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=889491&p=6249934&viewfull=1#post6249934.

lmdroid

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

Sometimes it seems like all of Google's software is beta. I'm on "O beta" and lost trusted locations.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

The point you (all) seem to be missing is that Trusted Places often failed in the worst possible way - that is, it often did not lock your phone when you were - in my case - thousands of miles from home for extended periods of days or even weeks.

It was totally unreliable as can be seen in hundreds of threads on this subject. Google last reported that they were working hard to fix it; my guess is that they have given up on it. At least for now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The point you (all) seem to be missing is that Trusted Places often failed in the worst possible way - that is, it often did not lock your phone when you were - in my case - thousands of miles from home for extended periods of days or even weeks.

It was totally unreliable as can be seen in hundreds of threads on this subject. Google last reported that they were working hard to fix it; my guess is that they have given up on it. At least for now.

I am not missing anything. I had no issues with it at home. I swear I just said something about assuming a minute ago :p.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I stopped using it because I wanted it to lock even in trusted places at specific times. When I did use it never had it fail to my recollection.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Saying we are all seemingly missing a point is a rather concerning blanket statement to begin your post with, and it took away from some of the info in your post that was otherwise valuable.

First, I am not a power user. I don't root my phone or go to betas or anything like that. It just isn't me. There's nothing wrong with that.

Second, in regards to trusted places and its unreliability, I never knew this to be the case. Why? Because it always worked for me, and why would I go research something that has no need to be researched? I know this now, but again, it worked, so why waste time catastrophizing?

Please, take care next time in writing your thoughts. If you would have said, "From my experiences, what I've observed..." instead of what you actually said in blanket assumptions, the whole tone is different.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Google is looking into longstanding issues with Smart Lock's Trusted Places feature
https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/...ng-issues-smart-locks-trusted-places-feature/

Trusted Places seems to have been removed as a Smart Lock option
https://www.xda-developers.com/smart-lock-trusted-places-disappearing/

Trusted Places Smart Lock not working
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/qw3adoEMAr4

This has been a long-standing (years long) issue. I liked the idea of Trusted Places until I realized just how unreliable it was. For anyone who values the security of their device, using Trusted Places is/was a huge mistake.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't think anyone is denying people had issues. You're just saying since you did.. that means I did.

Sorry no. My phone locked at work and was unlocked at home. Not sure what I did to make it work but once I turned it on I was good.
Google is looking into longstanding issues with Smart Lock's Trusted Places feature
https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/...ng-issues-smart-locks-trusted-places-feature/

Trusted Places seems to have been removed as a Smart Lock option
https://www.xda-developers.com/smart-lock-trusted-places-disappearing/

Trusted Places Smart Lock not working
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/qw3adoEMAr4

This has been a long-standing (years long) issue. I liked the idea of Trusted Places until I realized just how unreliable it was. For anyone who values the security of their device, using Trusted Places is/was a huge mistake.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site

Smart Lock never worked well for me. I could set the location, and it would work for a day or so, then stop working. Then I could reset, and repeat, and sometimes it would stop unlocking within minutes even if I stayed in the same location. I suspect some bug has been found, or maybe they just got tired of fielding all the complaints. The location feature is missing for me too.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Apparently even though I value security, and I also never had any issues with it for it worked as intended, I was making a mistake.

This "for anyone" blanket statement stuff is really annoying. I get it. You had a bad experience. It doesn't mean everyone else did, or was guaranteed to experience your issues.

Quit imposing on us as if we are so wrong.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

my P2 didn't always unlock Everytime when at home. Frequently had to use the FPS. Hoping any fix takes care of that.

Rick Laky

May 24, 2018
Visit site

Latest update of Google play services killed the trusted place option. I went to settings. Click on Apps. Then All Apps. Click on Google play services. Upper right click on remove updates. Trusted places option back