OnePlus 6 vs other flagship phones

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My question is if 1+6 was the same price as other flagship phones would people still buy it? Because being 300 or 400 dollars less I can see the interest and bargain if you can do without couple features.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My question is if 1+6 was the same price as other flagship phones would people still buy it? Because being 300 or 400 dollars less I can see the interest and bargain if you can do without couple features.

I wouldn't buy it for less.... Can't see why someone would buy it for more

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
In addition to Mike Dee - Reply : I'd say that all depends
about the Preferences of the phone buyer and their budget..

Say for example a user from an African country without internet
won't be interested in the $400-Phone with more features

The price as well is determined by the changes in the
currency and new materials used on phones :cool:

Armeniandave

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Well I've been comparing these two phones for the last few days since I actually own both and both are awesome. I've taken a ton of pictures and they are very close. The Oneplus 6 will be my new daily driver till the Pixel 3 comes out and then I'll compare them like I normally do and keep which ever one works better for me. That's what I love about tech, you can try different things all the time!!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I've been comparing these two phones for the last few days since I actually own both and both are awesome. I've taken a ton of pictures and they are very close. The Oneplus 6 will be my new daily driver till the Pixel 3 comes out and then I'll compare them like I normally do and keep which ever one works better for me. That's what I love about tech, you can try different things all the time!!

You didn't answer the OP's question. If it was the same price as other flagships would you still buy it?

Armeniandave

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If it were the same price I'd strongly consider it. I don't think either one is worth $850 though. I bought my Pixel new from a reseller for much less than $850. For the price I bought it for it was worth it but not full retail. The OnePlus was the same price as I bought the pixel for so for that price I pick the OnePlus.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Given that a P2 XL is now £629 from Carphone Warehouse unlocked (UK) I think that it is still better than the OnePlus 6, due to its camera. I did the photo comparison test via a YouTube video and I much preferred the Pixel 2 camera shots to the OnePlus 6's shots. To me the colours were all wrong and a lot of detail was missing in comparison to the shots taken by the Pixel 2 XL. I definitely would not pay flagship price for a OnePlus 6.

Vanilla Thought

May 28, 2018
Visit site
I think when you look at the objective specs the 1+6 is better than most (processing, battery, size). Others are not as good (face id, screen resolution). If the phone were priced like the others, I would expect to be able to walk in a store hold it, play with it, and buy it with a finance option. Putting the phone in the store is a big part of the price difference. The real question is: does buying a locked phone from your provider with financing justify a 30-50 percent mark up. The phone is in some ways better and some worse then others. It is the support and convenience that are the real risks. OnePlus says they'll give regular updates. I don't mind paying up front for the phone and prefer to have an unlocked rooted phone. So that is why I buy one by mail order. If it were in a store it would be 800 or more like the others and I would resist paying the mark-up and would consider an Asus or Motorola or some other buy direct phone.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL vs OnePlus 6 Tale of the Tape

Pros of P2XL:
Software, Security, Software, Privacy, USB PD, Updates, Camera, Display Accuracy, Display Resolution, Water Resistance, Dual Front Facing Speakers, Carrier Support, Battery Size, USB 3.1, 2 Year Warranty, Unlimited Photo Storage, Company FAR less likely screw you over

Pros of OP6:
256 GB Storage Option, MOAR RAM, newer SoC

Too soon to tell:
Battery Life (according to reviews they're pretty similar with the edge going to the P2XL)

Subjective:
Build Materials

If both of those devices are the same price, that conversation is extremely one sided. If one is 830 Euros and the other is 520 Euros, then that almost 60% increase in price isn't necessarily going to be worth it to some people. As another user said, in the UK the P2XL starts at a much more similar price point and, in my opinion, that would take the OP6 out of the running as it has far too many compromises and no meaningful advantages.

CristianZamora

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't even deserve to be mentioned. How much do you people get for even mentioning that a junk phone like the One Plus line should be compared to other flagship?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
It doesn't even deserve to be mentioned. How much do you people get for even mentioning that a junk phone like the One Plus line should be compared to other flagship?

It's because of the SoC and RAM; OnePlus is buying high end components, in a few key areas that get widely reported on in laymen reviews.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Not in my opinion. The appeal of OP phones is the price for the specs you get. That's not to say it isn't a good phone but they wouldn't sell them if they went for $850. But at $530 you get a lot for your money, and for some it is a better value by far. You get a Pixel like experience for 60% of the cost. But you may not get the build quality and support.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
You get a Pixel like experience for 60% of the cost.

I propose amending this to: "You get a quasi-sorta, but not really, kind of Pixelish experience... in a way, but ... yeah no it's totally different. But! If you want to pretend it's similar then you can! If that makes you feel better about your extra dollars in your pocket!"

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I propose amending this to: "You get a quasi-sorta, but not really, kind of Pixelish experience... in a way, but ... yeah no it's totally different. But! If you want to pretend it's similar then you can! If that makes you feel better about your extra dollars in your pocket!"
Ok I'll bite, what's the difference? Should I have said "you get an unbloated clean customizable experience that has the essence of something like a Nexus or Pixel"? I guess when I think of a pixel I just think of a mostly clean experience so that's what I was comparing it to in my head. In fact, I think the OP6 might be closer to a pure basic Android experience like you used to get with a Nexus than the Pixel anyway.

Yes, I think the Pixel software is starting to get some bloat to it. I don't need the assistant, I don't want to squeeze it, I don't need effing stickers in my camera because I'm not 12 and I don't give a rats butt about VR on a phone. So you'll have to forgive me if I don't think the Pixel experience is perfect and the best. But by most accounts I've read the OP software is a very nice lightly customizable experience.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Ok I'll bite, what's the difference? Should I have said "you get an unbloated clean customizable experience that has the essence of something like a Nexus or Pixel"? I guess when I think of a pixel I just think of a mostly clean experience so that's what I was comparing it to in my head. In fact, I think the OP6 might be closer to a pure basic Android experience like you used to get with a Nexus than the Pixel anyway.

Yes, I think the Pixel software is starting to get some bloat to it. I don't need the assistant, I don't want to squeeze it, I don't need effing stickers in my camera because I'm not 12 and I don't give a rats butt about VR on a phone. So you'll have to forgive me if I don't think the Pixel experience is perfect and the best. But by most accounts I've read the OP software is a very nice lightly customizable experience.

I agree with several of your points, but not the conclusion that Oxygen OS resembles anything in the same realm as the software that used to be on Nexus devices or the software that's on Pixel devices. Oxygen OS does appear very clean and VISUALLY resembles the more "stock" ish skins, but I guess I'm referring to the actual nature of the software, most of which is not the UI. Under the hood, OnePlus devices are very different. That could be why we think we disagree, because we're talking about two fairly different things using the same terms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith