Android Messages backup & restore

rocko1290

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I have a Google Pixel 2 XL and I have used the Android Messages app for all my SMS/MMS messages since I first got the phone. I currently have the latest version of the app, which is 3.3.044. I am planning to factory reset my phone, but before I do so, I'm trying to ensure that I will be able to restore all of my SMS/MMS conversations afterwards. Some of the messages are extremely important to me and I'm not willing to risk losing them. How can I ensure that I get all my conversations back intact, with both SMS and MMS included, just as they appear on my phone now? I know that Pixel 2 backs up my SMS messages to Google Drive, however it specifically states that this does not include MMS messages, which poses a problem for me. I need my conversations to remain intact, in order, exactly the way they are now, with both SMS and MMS messages included. I was excited when I learned of Android Messages for Web, and thought this may solve my problem. I noticed every single conversation appears on Messages for Web exactly as it does on my phone, including both SMS & MMS. This initially led me to believe that Messages for Web has stored a backup all of my SMS/MMS conversations online, but then I came across where it says 'Stay connected to your phone. Messages for Web connects to your phone to sync messages' on Messages for Web. Does this mean that if I factory reset and delete everything on my phone, a backup will not be stored on the Android Messages for Web? How can I ensure that I retain all my SMS/MMS conversations intact upon factory resetting my phone and reinstalling the Android Messages App? Thank you very much in advance for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm not sure if anything gets backed up using Messages on the Web -- I think that only syncs and shows what's currently on the phone. Try SMS Backup & Restore instead.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I have a Google Pixel 2 XL and I have used the Android Messages app for all my SMS/MMS messages since I first got the phone. I currently have the latest version of the app, which is 3.3.044. I am planning to factory reset my phone, but before I do so, I'm trying to ensure that I will be able to restore all of my SMS/MMS conversations afterwards. Some of the messages are extremely important to me and I'm not willing to risk losing them. How can I ensure that I get all my conversations back intact, with both SMS and MMS included, just as they appear on my phone now? I know that Pixel 2 backs up my SMS messages to Google Drive, however it specifically states that this does not include MMS messages, which poses a problem for me. I need my conversations to remain intact, in order, exactly the way they are now, with both SMS and MMS messages included. I was excited when I learned of Android Messages for Web, and thought this may solve my problem. I noticed every single conversation appears on Messages for Web exactly as it does on my phone, including both SMS & MMS. This initially led me to believe that Messages for Web has stored a backup all of my SMS/MMS conversations online, but then I came across where it says 'Stay connected to your phone. Messages for Web connects to your phone to sync messages' on Messages for Web. Does this mean that if I factory reset and delete everything on my phone, a backup will not be stored on the Android Messages for Web? How can I ensure that I retain all my SMS/MMS conversations intact upon factory resetting my phone and reinstalling the Android Messages App? Thank you very much in advance for your help, I greatly appreciate it.
You need the following app sms backup

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

It can backup to cloud and you must run it before you delete or rest your phone. Then once you have a new phone or a reset phone make sure you install it again and restore the backup from the cloud and your messages should reappear. Has worked for me several times. I set mine to auto backup every single day.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Android Messages backup & restore

Welcome to Android Central! I'm not sure if anything gets backed up using Messages on the Web -- I think that only syncs and shows what's currently on the phone. Try SMS Backup & Restore instead.
I agree with this recommendation. I've used that app multiple times and always had great success. Backs up and restores all SMS and MMS perfectly.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use Pulse SMS. This way I can access all of my messages on the web, PC, phone, etc. And it backs it up. The lifetime is only like 11 bucks but highly worth it IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress