Have a opportunity to get a pixel 2... Is it still worth it

mango1228

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I have an opportunity to get my first google phone being a 2. Want to experience first before buying a 3 or 4. I have only ever had samsung.

What are your opinions on the 2 in 2019

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have an opportunity to get my first google phone being a 2. Want to experience first before buying a 3 or 4. I have only ever had samsung.

I bought a new one in April on sale. I have had one since launch. The battery life is excellent, the phone is fast and responsive and the camera is phenomenal. It is a better buy than a 3a for the same price as it has better stats all round.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Pixel 2xl still a excellent phone , but consider it's age might be smarter to go pixel 3 or 4 , with the 4 you'll have latest of Google

mango1228

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Before i go for the 4 just want to see if i like the whole google system. like i mentioned have only ever had samsung devices. With regards to the 3 xl how is the battery life on that device. Just the notch thats off putting
Pixel 2xl still a excellent phone , but consider it's age might be smarter to go pixel 3 or 4 , with the 4 you'll have latest of Google

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Before i go for the 4 just want to see if i like the whole google system. like i mentioned have only ever had samsung devices. With regards to the 3 xl how is the battery life on that device. Just the notch thats off putting
I own few Samsung and Google phones .
The notch might bother some , for me a non issue as I do like notch phones. Battery life will be up to the individual as how many apps and what your doing with the phone. I personally have great battery life , I only have between 45 to 60 apps installed on the phone and do lots of YouTube watching. Maybe if you stop in a Verizon store or Best buy you can try out the pixel 3xl and see if it's right for you .

mango1228

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately i live in cape town, South affica and the google pixel is not sold here so my husband who is in the states will bring me one home. The pixel 2 is here in south africa and i want to test it first before i purchase one from the states
I own few Samsung and Google phones .
The notch might bother some , for me a non issue as I do like notch phones. Battery life will be up to the individual as how many apps and what your doing with the phone. I personally have great battery life , I only have between 45 to 60 apps installed on the phone and do lots of YouTube watching. Maybe if you stop in a Verizon store or Best buy you can try out the pixel 3xl and see if it's right for you .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately i live in cape town, South affica and the google pixel is not sold here so my husband who is in the states will bring me one home. The pixel 2 is here in south africa and i want to test it first before i purchase one from the states
Oh , ok maybe try looking at some reviews of the pixel 3xl on YouTube to get a better picture of how it will be

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
I'd recommend that you pass on the Pixel 2. If it was a 2xl I would've said go.

If you're getting the Pixel 2 just to experience the Google brand, and coming from Samsung land, you'll might perceive Google land as being extremely outdated and 'not that special.'

Giant giant giant bezels with the mediocre build and screen (compared to Samsung), I'm afraid the first impressions might spoil Pixel experience for you. Being a Pixel fan myself, I don't want that to happen.

So, I'd recommend you either find a used Pixel 2xl in your area or just wait and see what the future holds. 2xl feels much more modern than the 2.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're getting the Pixel 2 just to experience the Google brand, and coming from Samsung land, you'll might perceive Google land as being extremely outdated and 'not that special.'

Giant giant giant bezels with the mediocre build and screen (compared to Samsung), I'm afraid the first impressions might spoil Pixel experience for you. Being a Pixel fan myself, I don't want that to happen.

Hopefully, if mango1228 is an intelligent and rational tech consumer (and let's face it, coming on these forums to ask questions like these is a sign of intelligence;)), he or she will look past some of the design choices and be impressed by the superb camera and regular updates!

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
The build quality is superb on the 2. Built by HTC and they know a thing or two.

Bezels are indeed huge, but I appreciate the symmetry and the speakers in them.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it's cheap enough (I've seen them selling new for US$150 now), go for it. I still like my 2. (And see no reason to go for the 3.) Maybe the 4, but from what I've heard, it doesn't offer anything exciting. I'm still going to get 2 new versions so, by the end of the year in which R comes out, I'll see if the Pixel 6 has anything to offer. If not, I''ll stay with the 2 for a while longer.

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
Hopefully.

But I've seen so many people switch to a wrong (for them) Samsung and hate all Samsung phones. Get the wrong Pixel and hate all pixels (happened to a friend, he got the 3, paid good money, faced bugs, left it for iPhone abusing all android phones saying he tried). So I always try to recommend a relatively successful phone if somebody wants to try something new. Not saying that the 2 isn't a success, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody in 2019 now that the 3a is out and the 2xl exists as well.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the phone still holds up.

Its processor is still a beast and conserves battery well; the camera is either equal to or (arguably) better than some of the flagships out right now (and it does it without having triple lenses!). The operating system is smooth and it's reliable. I've had my Pixel 2 for about 14 months now and I can't give it up!

But this has to be something you yourself can verify - watch reviews, hold the phone in your hand at the store - all that good stuff. Let us know what you decide!

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I personally think the Pixel 2 has shown to be the best generation of Pixels. If you have the opportunity at a reasonable price and you want to test the Google experience, definitely go for it. It's a great device. I still have mine.

Penny111

Jul 21, 2018
Visit site
Have a Pixel 2 XL for 18 months now. Never had any issues or problems & I practically live on it. Google has said it will receive updates for 3 years.

It has the latest operating system.
So my next will probably be a Pixel 5.