$100 for 64gb of storage is robbery

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Most people (me included) believe that Apple rips people off when it comes to storage. They intentionally make the base level storage option too low and 'force' people to pay high prices for extra storage. Well, Google has trumped them. $100 for 64 gb of storage. The iPhone XR offers an extra 64gb for $50 (and it's $50/gb for the XSs too - although no 128gb option).

Google absolutely failed in pricing these phones. $749/$799 would have been a no brainer. Honestly, I would love to see this phone fail miserably in sales, so Google learns a lesson about gouging people.

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm.. Not sure what you're getting at. As $100 for 64gb may actually be the correct pricing. It depends on the quality of the memory being used. Also, the prices on this phone are already over $100 less than the "better" iPhone which is the actual competition. The budget iphones are likely using older memory modules which are cheaper to incorporate.

On top of that, you get unlimited storage for your photos on google photos - even in high res so you really don't need all that storage.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked/deleted.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm.. Not sure what you're getting at. As $100 for 64gb may actually be the correct pricing. It depends on the quality of the memory being used. Also, the prices on this phone are already over $100 less than the "better" iPhone which is the actual competition. The budget iphones are likely using older memory modules which are cheaper to incorporate.

On top of that, you get unlimited storage for your photos on google photos - even in high res so you really don't need all that storage.

Not sure what I'm getting at??? It's in the title. This is the most expensive memory on any smartphone. It's a ripoff. If you can't see that, my guess is you will defend anything. Wake up and expect better.

karqren

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of getting the Pixel 3 but now trying to justify the cost.

I am using an LG G4 on Verizon but want to upgrade my phone and move to Project Fi. The LG options on Project Fi both come with micro SD card support up to 2 TB and Samsung and Sandisk 128GB cards are under $30. The basic Pixel 3 is $799 on Fi but the LG V35 is discounted to $699 and also comes with a $150 Fi service credit so it has an effective cost of $549 (LG G7 has an effective cost of $399). Unless you can qualify for the restrictive 2 for 1 deal on Fi, the Pixel 3 is not competitive on price. The main downside of the LG options seems to be software updates. Choices, choices.

TemporalBeef

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The beauty of smartphones today, especially android devices, is that there are so many to choose from. So if you don't want to pay X for XGB of storage, you can move on to a different manufacturer and find the phone that you think warrants the MSRP. Personally, I pre-ordered the 3 XL 64GB version, because I too couldn't find the value in paying the extra $100 for extra memory that I didn't need. The 3 XL has everything else I wanted in a phone, so after thinking critically about the pros and cons, I pulled the trigger on it.

I don't see the point in complaining about the cost anything phone related. If you think it's too expensive, or not worth it... don't buy it. There's always something else out there that will suit your needs.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I am using an LG G4 on Verizon but want to upgrade my phone and move to Project Fi. The LG options on Project Fi both come with micro SD card support up to 2 TB and Samsung and Sandisk 128GB cards are under $30. The basic Pixel 3 is $799 on Fi but the LG V35 is discounted to $699 and also comes with a $150 Fi service credit so it has an effective cost of $549 (LG G7 has an effective cost of $399). Unless you can qualify for the restrictive 2 for 1 deal on Fi, the Pixel 3 is not competitive on price. The main downside of the LG options seems to be software updates. Choices, choices.

The LG V series and Pixels are two very different devices. I don't know your financial situation but I make my choice based on the things I desire most. The V35 is nice but the V30 is a bigger bargain right now. I was not happy with the V30 camera. If I was shopping for the LG it would be the V40 but that's a bit more money. For my needs I decided to stay with Pixel.

overhear

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I tend to agree with the OP on the overall pricing. I'm as torn as anyone between a cool new phone and saving for retirement, but when you also factor in that your entire investment could accidentally fall into a toilet, well ... Maybe I'll hedge my bets and buy a Pixel 1 or 2 on swappa, like others keep advising.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I tend to agree with the OP on the overall pricing. I'm as torn as anyone between a cool new phone and saving for retirement, but when you also factor in that your entire investment could accidentally fall into a toilet, well ... Maybe I'll hedge my bets and buy a Pixel 1 or 2 on swappa, like others keep advising.

If you are going with either a used 1 or 2 from Swapp and intend on keeping it while the 2 may be better due to less potential battery decline.

overhear

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
The main downside of the LG options seems to be software updates. Choices, choices.

I loved my LG G4, but it began to bootloop due to a manufacturing defect, as did my husband's LG-manufactured Nexus, and both of the phones LG sent us to replace them. So, sadly I'm no longer an LG customer.

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site

The V30 is an awesome phone. Glass is beautiful on it if you get the green/blue from projectFi.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I loved my LG G4, but it began to bootloop due to a manufacturing defect, as did my husband's LG-manufactured Nexus, and both of the phones LG sent us to replace them. So, sadly I'm no longer an LG customer.
For what it's worth, the bootloop issue of the G4 and V10 (I wasn't aware of the same issue on their Nexus line and can't speak to it) were addressed and fixed with their successors. I was hit with it on my G4 as well, but I'm of the belief that all phones are going to have "that one problem," and it's just a roll of the dice what pops up in any line. The V20 I swapped to has an issue of image retention, but at least it isn't permanent burn in like can happen on an AMOLED screen. The HTC One M8 I had was known for weak USB ports that would go bad and the body was easily bent.

So pick your poison.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Justification for the price difference isn't really needed, because people will pay it. That's the great thing about the market, value is derived by what people are willing to pay. There's a lot of people here who have already paid the extra $100.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
While I agree with the premise that cell phones, in general, are going up in price, I wouldn't say that $100 is a rip off.

To put it into perspective, a 64GB iPhone XS Max costs $1,100. I don't care how good the technology is in the phone, no device that only has 64GB of storage should ever cost $1,100.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Why would it get locked or deleted? If people are civil and such I see no reason for that to be done.

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Why would it get locked or deleted? If people are civil and such I see no reason for that to be done.

Well if you read OPs first response you'll see why I was making an assumption. And his multiple threads of dislike. Just assumed that's the way this thread would go ;)

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
The iPhone was one example. Also, the $50 per 64gb also applies to their higher end phones, not just the XR. Googles price for memory is more than EVERY other seller of smartphones. I don't know what kind of memory they use, but I'll bet it's not better memory than everyone else uses.

This is listed under the specs - no brand name though - they may go with the best price/availability - ??

Capture.JPG

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well if you read OPs first response you'll see why I was making an assumption. And his multiple threads of dislike. Just assumed that's the way this thread would go ;)

Nope -- zero reason to close a thread even if we don't agree with it. That wouldn't make it a fun place at all :p.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38