Is the Pixel 3 the 2018 Phone of the year?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
2018 Phone of the year...?

So if you hate it that much, why are you here? I've never understood that line of thought. "People like this so I should go in and tell them how wrong they are." It's like a Chevy guy going to a Ford forum or vice versa.

I’m not trying to tell everyone how wrong they are I’m just annoyed at the lack of objectivity towards the Pixel’s pitfalls whereas the iPhone gets lambasted for the same things.

The arstechnica review was the honest review that nobody wants to acknowledge. Google doesn’t know how to do hardware period. They have the software down pretty solid but the design choices they made are not in line with the rest of the phones from 2018.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I’m not trying to tell everyone how wrong they are I’m just annoyed at the lack of objectivity towards the Pixel’s pitfalls whereas the iPhone gets lambasted for the same things.

The arstechnica review was the honest review that nobody wants to acknowledge. Google doesn’t know how to do hardware period they have the software down pretty solid but the design choices they made are not in line with the rest of the phones from 2018.

But isn't that more an issue of form? Incidentally, if not the Pixel, what's your choice on phone of the year?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
But isn't that more an issue of form? Incidentally, if not the Pixel, what's your choice on phone of the year?

Since I’m an iPhone user, X🅂 max but I’d say the Note 9 would be a heavy contender then possibly the One Plus 6 or 6T heck even the Razer Phone 2 offers more than the Pixel.

Manoj Vemuri

Oct 16, 2018
Visit site

The arstechnica review was the honest review that nobody wants to acknowledge. Google doesn’t know how to do hardware period they have the software down pretty solid but the design choices they made are not in line with the rest of the phones from 2018.

So? Pixel has been popular mainly because of its software. And google has been consistently one-upping themselves. As for hardware? Google might still have a chance to get better at it.

Lambasting apple and lack thereof for google is a result of the expectations their products are met with.

Most of us don't expect Google to beat any flagship in H/w. What we expect is a software experience unlike an other. Whereas for Apple, we expect them to be the pioneer and market changer which they claim so often to be.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Since I’m an iPhone user, X🅂 max but I’d say the Note 9 would be a heavy contender then possibly the One Plus 6 or 6T heck even the Razer Phone 2 offers more than the Pixel.

LoL! Interesting line-up ... I think the XS generation is oh so close... great devices, no doubt. BUT Pixel will win top awards in camera this year and I think the things like how assistant responds while on the wireless charger, will be the difference in the end.

Close, tho... Oh so close!:cool:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Im buying a Pixel 3, its my phone of the year (if it wasn't I wouldn't buy it) but I wouldn't expect it to be on many others. I can see why iPhone XS Max or Note 9 would win it, even though I wouldn't prefer either theyre geared to mass market appeal.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Without question the Note is an incredible device. It's just in a unique user space. Like, IMO, if you don't utilize the S Pen at least 2 times a week, that feature (and the cost associated with it) is wasted. Most people won't use that function to it's maximum potential.

Don't get the Blue Note, it comes with a #2 pencil.... don't believe me, just ask @mustang7757

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Ironically you left out a period after period. That doesn't happen that often.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Back to the original topic....it's hard to call any phone 2018 phone of the year. I think it's got a good shot at 2018 phone camera of the year.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Back to the original topic....it's hard to call any phone 2018 phone of the year. I think it's got a good shot at 2018 phone camera of the year.
Agreed, that's really the defining feature we are left with. It's the reason I'm on a pixel 2 and why I'll probably stay.

Penny_1

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
I think the Pixel 3/3XL is going to be the best pure Android phone of the year, and pure Android is really nice to use these days.

But as someone who was kind of bored of phones and has been using the RED Hydrogen One for a month or so, I'd put that on the table for phone of the year for being bold and doing some really cool things!