Totally disappointed with display and camera.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I received the device yesterday and was excited as could be. I currently have an iPhone XS Max and a Galaxy Note 9. So the first thing I notice is the display on the Pixel is no where near as bright as the iPhone or the Samsung. You can pretty much forget about viewing in direct sunlight light.

2nd thing I notice is I'm taking pictures and the whites all have a bluish tint to them. Yuck. Not sure if this is just me or not. Maybe because I ha e the other phones to compare to. This is no where bear worth the $1,000 premium they are charging. At least for the 128GB version I have.

Any thoughts? Disappointed?

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I am coming from an iPhone XS and agree that the screen in darker at max brightness (but we already knew that). The camera I am going to have to play with a little more to get a feel for it, I have had some good shots and some bad shots with it. Honestly the "Super Res Zoom" or whatever they call it has been the most disappointing thing at this point for me, but that is coming from a phone with 2x optical so hard to complain. Time will tell!

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Well if I was in the same situation and played with every flagship phone released I’m sure I could find a complaint for each one...seems like a fortunate problem for you, for me I am sure will be blown away and not know any different ;)

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
True. It would've been better if I never had the new iPhone or Note
Well if I was in the same situation and played with every flagship phone released I’m sure I could find a complaint for each one...seems like a fortunate problem for you, for me I am sure will be blown away and not know any different ;)

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
No complaints picture wise. However I was surprised that where I have the brightness on my 6P almost all the way down. On the 3 XL the brightness is well past the 1/2 point for a similar level. That said the screen is so much better on the 3 XL it is not even a real comparison. In my very, very limited testing battery life is much better on the 3 XL so there are no concerns with having the brightness cranked up.

That said I have not used it in direct sunlight on a bright day. So it is possible my attitude will change.

JoePa2624

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I received the device yesterday and was excited as could be. I currently have an iPhone XS Max and a Galaxy Note 9. So the first thing I notice is the display on the Pixel is no where near as bright as the iPhone or the Samsung. You can pretty much forget about viewing in direct sunlight light.

2nd thing I notice is I'm taking pictures and the whites all have a bluish tint to them. Yuck. Not sure if this is just me or not. Maybe because I ha e the other phones to compare to. This is no where bear worth the $1,000 premium they are charging. At least for the 128GB version I have.

Any thoughts? Disappointed?

You have a lot of money tied up in 2018 flagships. Return the Pixel?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Display at outdoors is bright enough and comparable to my iPhone Xs Max. I have to agree that Note 9 outdoors visibility is definitely the best out of there and better than Xs Max and Pixel 3 XL.

Coming to camera, not sure what to tell the Pixel 3 XL absolutely best compared to my Xs Max. Videos iPhone is better but still pictures every shot I prefer from my pixel 3 XL. At least that's my preference, probably different for each individual.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I find it takes better photos than my note 9. Never had the new iPhone XS to compare so there I cannot comment. But so far this takes better photos for sure. Haven't tried video.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
All indications are that the sound quality with recorded videos is sub par.

They fixed this issue with a software update on the 2 XL so I would bet they will with the 3/3 XL. That being said, the display may not be the top of the food chain for direct sunlight brightest but it is definitely pretty good. And the photos are definitely the best out there (and there are plenty of software updates coming to improve it even further).

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
All indications are that the sound quality with recorded videos is sub par.

This is one of the things that has me currently has me currently leaning toward a Note 9 instead. I'm waiting to see if Google is able to do anything about it via software (as well as Black Friday deals).

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I need to play with the camera some more but last night I took some photos in poor lighting conditions. I was disappointed with the results. Not sure if that is due to my expectations or the camera. Need to pull out another phone and do some camparisons.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I am coming from an iPhone XS and agree that the screen in darker at max brightness (but we already knew that). The camera I am going to have to play with a little more to get a feel for it, I have had some good shots and some bad shots with it. Honestly the "Super Res Zoom" or whatever they call it has been the most disappointing thing at this point for me, but that is coming from a phone with 2x optical so hard to complain. Time will tell!

I am coming from the iPhone XS Max as well. Just messing around with the Pixel 3 XL and the screen looks good to me. Haven't taken a ton of pictures yet but so far what I have taken seem to all look good.

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
This is one of the things that has me currently has me currently leaning toward a Note 9 instead. I'm waiting to see if Google is able to do anything about it via software (as well as Black Friday deals).

Don't count on black friday deals. They didnt' have any last year on the Pixel 2.