Standby time drain?

yungskeeme88

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone X and standby time on it was far better. I think the screen on time on my phone is amazing (5-7 hours or SOT with average of 18 hours off charger) buy standby is concerning. I take my phone of the charger at 5AM and get to work at 7:30. I listen to Spotify (offline), some Reddit and Tapatalk. On my iPhone I would be around 95%. On my 3XL I'm usually around 85%. Seems like a huge difference to me. I remember on my Galaxy S7 Edge I would use Greenify and that seemed to help but heard it was pretty useless with Pie and it's adaptive battery setting. I get good SOT so I guess that's all that should matter. Anyone else experience this?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone X and standby time on it was far better. I think the screen on time on my phone is amazing (5-7 hours or SOT with average of 18 hours off charger) buy standby is concerning. I take my phone of the charger at 5AM and get to work at 7:30. I listen to Spotify (offline), some Reddit and Tapatalk. On my iPhone I would be around 95%. On my 3XL I'm usually around 85%. Seems like a huge difference to me. I remember on my Galaxy S7 Edge I would use Greenify and that seemed to help but heard it was pretty useless with Pie and it's adaptive battery setting. I get good SOT so I guess that's all that should matter. Anyone else experience this?

If I listen to music especially Bluetooth and streaming during my commute I get results similar to yours.

yungskeeme88

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I've been using the headphones that came with the phone. I was using Airpods before and noticed a slightly bigger drain. Guess it's just Android. Nothing showing in the battery stats to be draining it so I guess it's normal
If I listen to music especially Bluetooth and streaming during my commute I get results similar to yours.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
You need to give Samsung time to analyze power usage accurately. I've noticed on Apple, and had it confirmed, they program the power meter to display a higher percentage at the start of the cycle longer than reality. I see it everyday on my iPad, in that even after I use it for 15 or 20 minutes it will still show 100%. Once it drops below 50, it more depletion in the same time frame.
Also, go to your settings and optimize the power for your usage. Turn off qhd+, Wi-Fi, GPS, bt scanning and all the radios that you don't need but suck the battery dry.

Martin_F

Oct 16, 2018
Visit site
I also noticed that my Pixel 3 seems to lose battery percentage really quick after taking it off the charger.
But during the day it doesn't seem as bad.
Coming from an iPhone as well, I understand where you coming from, and the comment from @methodman89 above fits right in with that observation.
Battery life on my Pixel 3 has been good, but I also don't use the phone heavily all day.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone 7+ i can also concur the standby time isnt good on my Pixel 3, i expected different in 2 years being from Android but it is actually exactly as i remembered it. I bought into the Adaptive Battery hoping that it would resolve some of the standby drain but so far it hasnt...however im only on day 5. Thankfully fast charge and getting free pixel stand make it less painful (although the charge time i would get from AA is much less than my iPhone).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone 7+ i can also concur the standby time isnt good on my Pixel 3, i expected different in 2 years being from Android but it is actually exactly as i remembered it. I bought into the Adaptive Battery hoping that it would resolve some of the standby drain but so far it hasnt...however im only on day 5. Thankfully fast charge and getting free pixel stand make it less painful (although the charge time i would get from AA is much less than my iPhone).

Standby time on IOS is incredible. My iPhone is mostly a work item so on the weekends it usually just sits and the battery lasts forever. I must admit though I've never tried that with my Android devices.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
You will have a hard time beating an iPhone when it comes to standby time. Don't worry about it honestly, I would only compare the standby time of the Pixel VS other Android phones and not an iPhone. It's a battle it won't win.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You will have a hard time beating an iPhone when it comes to standby time. Don't worry about it honestly, I would only compare the standby time of the Pixel VS other Android phones and not an iPhone. It's a battle it won't win.

Technically I would never need that kind of standby time but agreed....iPhone lasts forever

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Technically I would never need that kind of standby time but agreed....iPhone lasts forever

The most beneficial aspect of it is not needing to put it on a charger at bed time, which I think has helped my battery health since it still shows 100% capacity. I can leave it at say 43% when I go to sleep and I wake to 40-41% in the morning.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The most beneficial aspect of it is not needing to put it on a charger at bed time, which I think has helped my battery health since it still shows 100% capacity. I can leave it at say 43% when I go to sleep and I wake to 40-41% in the morning.

Overnight drain is not an issue on my Androids as long as I have a decent amount of battery. I don't lose that much.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Overnight drain is not an issue on my Androids as long as I have a decent amount of battery. I don't lose that much.

My Galaxy sucks for overnight drain. I will lose 10-12% easy. When I had my Pixel, I recall about a 8% drain usually.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Indeed, I could literally go to sleep with 5% battery left and know I'll wake up with it on so I could plug in morning.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yeah you won't get as good of standby time as an iPhone for the simple reason that iPhone limits a lot of background processes versus Android.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My Galaxy sucks for overnight drain. I will lose 10-12% easy. When I had my Pixel, I recall about a 8% drain usually.

That's quite a bit depending on what's running in the background. I haven't actually tested the numbers on the 3XL but 2XL was very conservative.

yungskeeme88

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
What is QHD? Don't think I've seen that on my Pixel. I have WiFi scanning off and Bluetooth when I'm not using it. Is GPS the location icon in the which settings? Also, if I have WiFi scanning off and leave the icon it on so it can connect to my trusted networks, does that drain battery?
You need to give Samsung time to analyze power usage accurately. I've noticed on Apple, and had it confirmed, they program the power meter to display a higher percentage at the start of the cycle longer than reality. I see it everyday on my iPad, in that even after I use it for 15 or 20 minutes it will still show 100%. Once it drops below 50, it more depletion in the same time frame.
Also, go to your settings and optimize the power for your usage. Turn off qhd+, Wi-Fi, GPS, bt scanning and all the radios that you don't need but suck the battery dry.

yungskeeme88

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. The Pixel bests any Samsung phone I've had. Standby sucks but battery life is still really good lol. How is that possible?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
What is QHD? Don't think I've seen that on my Pixel. I have WiFi scanning off and Bluetooth when I'm not using it. Is GPS the location icon in the which settings? Also, if I have WiFi scanning off and leave the icon it on so it can connect to my trusted networks, does that drain battery?

High Definition Screen resolution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress