Fingerprint Sensor

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
From my experience, even the slow and deliberate swipe down for notifications is normally hard to trigger. Or when it does work with the swipe down, then the swipe up won't. Still hoping this is due to Google software trying to reduce unintentional triggers.

I had issues with the swipe up on my Pixel 2 as well, but on the 3 it seems less sensitive. Don't know why, either they lowered it in software, or perhaps they're using a different sensor module or manufacturer.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Noticed the fingerprint sensor is not as fast as expected. Getting a lot of unrecognized scans.

Additionally, seems the swipe down for notifications gesture is difficult to trigger. Is it a software issue? Anyone else experiencing the same?

I'm right handed and I always hold my phone in my left hand and keep it in my left front pocket. So I originally registered my FP with left index finger. It wasn't working as well as my Pixel 2 XL did, so I added a second finger, but used the same left index finger again for the additional finger. Now my FP sensor is working as it should and seldom ever misses with the first tap.

Blancos4lyf

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Is no one going to mention the fact that Pixel imprint learns your fingerprint over time and adding a second fingerprint for the same finger is useless?

What you should do is go into the fingerprint section in settings and while in there tap on your fingerprint scanner from different angles with your selected fingers until it learns, usually what I do every single time I set up my fingerprints on my Pixels. You'll notice it learning your fingerprint from new angles as you tap away.

On my P2XL I was able to unlock it coming out of the shower with my finger all clammy, thanks to how it learns.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Is no one going to mention the fact that Pixel imprint learns your fingerprint over time and adding a second fingerprint for the same finger is useless?

What you should do is go into the fingerprint section in settings and while in there tap on your fingerprint scanner from different angles with your selected fingers until it learns, usually what I do every single time I set up my fingerprints on my Pixels. You'll notice it learning your fingerprint from new angles as you tap away.

On my P2XL I was able to unlock it coming out of the shower with my finger all clammy, thanks to how it learns.

What do you mean by learning over time? As far as I know the only time it learns your print is as you set them up. Yes you should try different angles. Setting the same print on more than one slot does still helps even with trying different angles.

Blancos4lyf

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by learning over time? As far as I know the only time it learns your print is as you set them up. Yes you should try different angles. Setting the same print on more than one slot does still helps even with trying different angles.

It learns your fingerprint over time I don't get how that's hard to understand? The more you use it the more of your fingerprint it learns it's a well known fact of pixel imprint and one of the reasons why setting up your fingerprint is so quick on a pixel.
Like I said go into your fingerprint section in settings and just start tapping your already registered finger at different angles and watch/notice it learning the more you tap the more infrequent the failed taps become.

It either learns every time you use it. Or you can go into the fingerprint section and tap away like I said earlier.

Setting up a second fingerprint for the same finger is redundant af.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...sa_the_fingerprint_reader_gets_more_accurate/

Mind you this feature has been available since the Nexus 5x and 6p days.

What it basically does is every time you tap it with a part of your fingerprint that's already learnt it'll add any data it finds around the finger that's currently missing, And voila Machine learning at its finest :D

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It learns your fingerprint over time I don't get how that's hard to understand? The more you use it the more of your fingerprint it learns it's a well known fact of pixel imprint and one of the reasons why setting up your fingerprint is so quick on a pixel.
Like I said go into your fingerprint section in settings and just start tapping your already registered finger at different angles and watch/notice it learning the more you tap the more infrequent the failed taps become.

It either learns every time you use it. Or you can go into the fingerprint section and tap away like I said earlier.

Setting up a second fingerprint for the same finger is redundant af.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...sa_the_fingerprint_reader_gets_more_accurate/

Mind you this feature has been available since the Nexus 5x and 6p days.

What it basically does is every time you tap it with a part of your fingerprint that's already learnt it'll add any data it finds around the finger that's currently missing, And voila Machine learning at its finest :D

It doesn't learn your finger print over time ,only learns different angles when you first initially put your prints after that no other learning. So the concept of putting a 2nd print or more of same finger is that it can register even more angle because you not going put the first prints the same as the 2nd and third.

Blancos4lyf

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't learn your finger print over time ,only learns different angles when you first initially put your prints after that no other learning. So the concept of putting a 2nd print or more of same finger is that it can register even more angle because you not going put the first prints the same as the 2nd and third.

... I just explained how it works and that's exactly how it works I speak from experience you are wrong, please stop trying to prove your point when you are wrong lol..

Pixel imprint learns your fingerprint over time..

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/co...nexuspixel_imprint/?utm_source=reddit-android

Here's another link proving my point. It was first introduced with Nexus imprint being the main feature and then obviously moved over to Pixel Imprint.

Like I've said a couple of times now, go into your fingerprint section in settings and tap on it with an angle that it doesn't recognise, now tap it from an angle it does recognise and slowly but surely move back to the angle it didn't recognise making sure to keep majority of the sensor covered by the part of your finger it does recognise. You will legitimately notice it learning as you tap away. No need to add another fingerprint.

I don't know how many more times I can explain this..

Blancos4lyf

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

... No sir you are incorrect that is a feature of Pixel Imprint it was first introduced with Nexus Imprint im literally talking fact and from experience I don't understand why you're arguing with facts? *facepalm*

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
... No sir you are incorrect that is a feature of Pixel Imprint it was first introduced with Nexus Imprint im literally talking fact and from experience I don't understand why you're arguing with facts? *facepalm*

I don't know this article you got from Reddit not familiar with this site.

I'm familiar with facts also let me explain
Go to fingerprint setup in your pixel device and hit help from there , now tell me do you see anything mentioned that it will learn your fingerprint over time?

Wouldn't the manufacturer explain that as you put your fingerprin?

Please show me where Google says this by Google themselves.

Attachments

• 1716.jpg
    1716.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 33

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't know this article you got from Reddit not familiar with this site.

I'm familiar with facts also let me explain
Go to fingerprint setup in your pixel device and hit help from there , now tell me do you see anything mentioned that it will learn your fingerprint over time?

Wouldn't the manufacturer explain that as you put your fingerprin?

Please show me where Google says this by Google themselves.

Screen shot

Attachments

• 1715.jpg
    1715.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 31

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

I think you'll need to come with something more than a reddit post from some random user as source to support your "facts". The Nexus 5X has a Qualcomm 808 chip in it. There's no neural processing engine in that chip.

Considering FPS aren't unique to Pixels, there is nothing native in past OS (I think the 5X launched with 6.0) that would suggest that ML/AI is involved at all with the process.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think you'll need to come with something more than a reddit post from some random user as source to support your "facts". The Nexus 5X has a Qualcomm 808 chip in it. There's no neural processing engine in that chip.

Considering FPS aren't unique to Pixels, there is nothing native in past OS (I think the 5X launched with 6.0) that would suggest that ML/AI is involved at all with the process.

That's exactly what I'm trying to tell him

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Fair enough, but there doesn't seem to be an explanation of what that means..

https://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-imprint-still-hasnt-learned-anything-me

It's a article that was written by that author which probably where they got on reddit. Google itself hasn't come out and said it does this . I had the nexus p and still have the 5x and it doesn't learn more you use it even the article says no improvement have been seen. So if I dont see this by Google I'm sorry cant go by this .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's a article that was written by that author which probably where they got on reddit. Google itself hasn't come out and said it does this . I had the nexus p and still have the 5x and it doesn't learn more you use it even the article says no improvement have been seen. So if I dont see this by Google I'm sorry cant go by this .

Here one article this guy also talked to David burke but doesn't mention adaptive fingerprint.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...vcwJ&ust=1546215640976344&cshid=1546129239639

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

I can't find anything from Google suggesting ML/AI is involved at all with Pixel Imprint. Lots about the on device storage and the TEE, though .. LoL!

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress