Pixel stand

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Double tap to wake stops working.

I believe he was referring to Google Play Music not displaying what was currently playing while on the stand not the now playing feature. I could be wrong but that's what I got out of it. I don't think "now playing" needs to indentfy what songs are playing on an app.

I too am not immune to misunderstanding. :)

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Bluetooth works fine when my 3 XL is connected to my Pixel Stand.

"Now Playing" knows very little about classical music so it's not of much use to me. I do use my Google Play Music subscription quite a bit and I have no problem with Bluetooth connectivity with my several Bluetooth listening devices.

To clarify - I did mean the media player display that appears when listening to Google Play Music or Spotify when the phone is on the Pixel Stand (PS). The screen shows the album cover of the song (now) playing plus music player controls (pause/play, next/last track). I've found A) Like PS photo frame, it won't work if the device perceives it's dark and, B) When it does work it times out after exactly 10 minutes and reverts to the PS ambient display. The former is annoying, the latter is hopefully a bug that will be fixed.

Gary I know you use Play Music with a some sweet new Sony WH-1000XM3's, so I was wondering if you have a similar experience when using the PS. I use this setup with 1000XM2's (Spotify) and really wish this PS feature would work properly.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

To clarify - I did mean the media player display that appears when listening to Google Play Music or Spotify when the phone is on the Pixel Stand (PS). The screen shows the album cover of the song (now) playing plus music player controls (pause/play, next/last track). I've found A) Like PS photo frame, it won't work if the device perceives it's dark and, B) When it does work it times out after exactly 10 minutes and reverts to the PS ambient display. The former is annoying, the latter is hopefully a bug that will be fixed.

Gary I know you use Play Music with a some sweet new Sony WH-1000XM3's, so I was wondering if you have a similar experience when using the PS. I use this setup with 1000XM2's (Spotify) and really wish this PS feature would work properly.

When I'm working I often listen to complete albums on my Google Play Music subscription while my Pixel 3 XL is on my Pixel Stand. While I'm working I keep my Pixel on the Stand. It works with no problems.

I've never tried using my Pixel Stand in the dark as that isn't how I use it, so I cannot address your problem with using it in the dark. However, from what I've read, it would seem that is a feature of the Stand to automatically turn off when it's dark. I would think a better solution would be to have a user option to control ON/OFF and if ON, how long to play before turning OFF.

I've never used PS Photo Frame, so I cannot address that feature.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

When I'm working I often listen to complete albums on my Google Play Music subscription while my Pixel 3 XL is on my Pixel Stand. While I'm working I keep my Pixel on the Stand. It works with no problems.

While on the Pixel Stand listening to G-Play Music does the media player display stay on for the entire complete album? Or does media player display shut down at some point and revert to the PS ambient display?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

While on the Pixel Stand listening to G-Play Music does the media player display stay on for the entire complete album? Or does media player display shut down at some point and revert to the PS ambient display?

Recently I've been listening to "Mozart Complete Symphonies - Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, conducted by Neville Mariner" which consists of 12 CD's. On my Google Play Music subscription the music plays continuously through the entire set. After 2 minutes, the screen time I've set, my screen dims, but I can still see what symphony and movement is currently playing. My display does not shut down, it only dims. As each symphonic movement is played, I will sometimes need to scroll the screen up to see what is currently playing which brings back full screen brightness. Sometimes I will tap the screen to bring back full brightness just to make the screen easier to read. Throughout hours of listening on my Pixel Stand, Google Play Music never shuts down and never reverts to the PS ambient display.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Recently I've been listening to "Mozart Complete Symphonies - Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, conducted by Neville Mariner" which consists of 12 CD's. On my Google Play Music subscription the music plays continuously through the entire set. After 2 minutes, the screen time I've set, my screen dims, but I can still see what symphony and movement is currently playing. My display does not shut down, it only dims. As each symphonic movement is played, I will sometimes need to scroll the screen up to see what is currently playing which brings back full screen brightness. Sometimes I will tap the screen to bring back full brightness just to make the screen easier to read. Throughout hours of listening on my Pixel Stand, Google Play Music never shuts down and never reverts to the PS ambient display.

View attachment 296670

So do you not get this display when the phone is on the Pixel Stand and playing something from Google Play Music? I get this for 10 minutes and then the screen goes to the PS ambient display (while music continues - this doesn't impact the music playing app).

Where is the setting to have the screen just dim (but not shut off) after two minutes? Thx.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 296670

So do you not get this display when the phone is on the Pixel Stand and playing something from Google Play Music? I get this for 10 minutes and then the screen goes to the PS ambient display (while music continues - this doesn't impact the music playing app).

Where is the setting to have the screen just dim (but not shut off) after two minutes? Thx.

Your attachment says it is invalid.

The setting I made is:
Settings > Display > Advanced > Sleep
And I chose the button for "2 minutes" because I just hate having the screen sleep before I'm done with it. :)
My screen will stay on my chosen album and never go to the PS ambient display. In fact after the music stops playing my screen still stays on the Google Play Music app.

Maybe the problem is that I'm using Google Play Music and you're using a different app?

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Your attachment says it is invalid.

It was fine before the mods moved these posts. Here it is again. This is playing Google Play Music (GPM) and this is a Pixel Stand display (note the Google Assistant logo at the bottom). Do you get this display on your PS?

IMG_20190111_122702.jpg

The setting I made is:
And I chose the button for "2 minutes" because I just hate having the screen sleep before I'm done with it. :)

Yes, I also have this set for 2 minutes for the same reason. However, this setting should turn the screen off after two minutes, not just dim the screen. I'm not aware of any PS setting that would change this from screen off to screen dim after two minutes.

If if place the phone with the screen on playing GPM onto the PS, the phone will keep the screen on for ~1:45 and then dims for ~15 seconds. After the full 2 minutes the screen changes to the one shown above. That new screen stays on for 10 minutes and then closes to the PS ambient display. If I have GPM playing with the screen off and place it on the PS it goes directly to display above. In neither case will the display stay on indefinitely (dimmed or not) showing GPM.

This behavior is the same for GPM and Spotify. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the PS app a couple of times with no change.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I think I see where we differ. Before I load the Google Play Music app, I use my fingerprint to log in. Then I place my 3 XL on the Stand. While I'm listening to music I'm staying logged in the whole time!

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

I think I see where we differ. Before I load the Google Play Music app, I use my fingerprint to log in. Then I place my 3 XL on the Stand. While I'm listening to music I'm staying logged in the whole time!

I too use my fingerprint to log in every time I use the phone. Fingerprint wake/log in > Open GPM or Spotify > Select/Play content > Place phone on Pixel Stand. When I do that the behavior I described above occurs.

And I chose the button for "2 minutes"...

This display setting should put your phone display back to sleep after two minutes. Using a fingerprint to wake/log in doesn't change or negate that setting, so I don't see how you get an always-on GPM display with that setting. To be clear - media content continues indefinitely but the screen goes to sleep after two minutes.

Also, sorry to ask again, but do you get the Pixel Stand media display I posted above? Thx.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

This display setting should put your phone display back to sleep after two minutes. Using a fingerprint to wake/log in doesn't change or negate that setting, so I don't see how you get an always-on GPM display with that setting. To be clear - media content continues indefinitely but the screen goes to sleep after two minutes.
Sounds like TraderGary has some SmartLock thing enabled which prevents his phone from locking after the two minute timeout.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I too use my fingerprint to log in every time I use the phone. Fingerprint wake/log in > Open GPM or Spotify > Select/Play content > Place phone on Pixel Stand. When I do that the behavior I described above occurs.

Also, sorry to ask again, but do you get the Pixel Stand media display I posted above? Thx.

No, while I'm connected to Google Play Music I never see the screen revert to the Pixel Stand Media Display. It stays on Google Play Music with the current album cover.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like TraderGary has some SmartLock thing enabled which prevents his phone from locking after the two minute timeout.

Bingo! That's it, GSDer! I checked and I have Smart Lock Location set as ON! I had totally forgotten I had set Smart Lock eons ago! Nice catch!

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Bingo! That's it, GSDer! I checked and I have Smart Lock Location set as ON! I had totally forgotten I had set Smart Lock eons ago! Nice catch!

Yes, but smart lock doesn't change the behavior of the display settings. Even with smart lock enabled, if the display settings are set to sleep after two minutes the screen will turn off after two minutes. Smart lock just means you don't need a passcode or fingerprint to wake the phone. I have my 1000xm2's set as a smart lock trusted BT device and that makes no difference to the behavior I describe.

I appreciate the help and feedback guys and I'm not trying to be difficult. But with display settings set to sleep at two minutes (and a max allowable of 30 minutes) I don't see how to get Google Play Music (or Spotify) to stay displayed on screen indefinitely, with or without the Pixel Stand.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Yes, but smart lock doesn't change the behavior of the display settings. Even with smart lock enabled, if the display settings are set to sleep after two minutes the screen will turn off after two minutes. Smart lock just means you don't need a passcode or fingerprint to wake the phone. I have my 1000xm2's set as a smart lock trusted BT device and that makes no difference to the behavior I describe.

I appreciate the help and feedback guys and I'm not trying to be difficult. But with display settings set to sleep at two minutes (and a max allowable of 30 minutes) I don't see how to get Google Play Music (or Spotify) to stay displayed on screen indefinitely, with or without the Pixel Stand.

I can give another option , don't Know if it will help but in developer option you can set screen stay on while charging not a fan of this option though.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

I can give another option , don't Know if it will help but in developer option you can set screen stay on while charging not a fan of this option though.

Hmm, well that would do it but it's kind of a nuclear option. Lol.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

It was fine before the mods moved these posts. Here it is again. This is playing Google Play Music (GPM) and this is a Pixel Stand display (note the Google Assistant logo at the bottom). Do you get this display on your PS?

View attachment 296676

Yes, I also have this set for 2 minutes for the same reason. However, this setting should turn the screen off after two minutes, not just dim the screen. I'm not aware of any PS setting that would change this from screen off to screen dim after two minutes.

If if place the phone with the screen on playing GPM onto the PS, the phone will keep the screen on for ~1:45 and then dims for ~15 seconds. After the full 2 minutes the screen changes to the one shown above. That new screen stays on for 10 minutes and then closes to the PS ambient display. If I have GPM playing with the screen off and place it on the PS it goes directly to display above. In neither case will the display stay on indefinitely (dimmed or not) showing GPM.

This behavior is the same for GPM and Spotify. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the PS app a couple of times with no change.

I use the Pixel stand in my office for music and what you describe is exactly the behavior on my device. I use GPM.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Hmm, well that would do it but it's kind of a nuclear option. Lol.

Hahaha ...not just that you don't want something staying static image for long time might run into screen burn in . Because that mode will leave screen on all the time charging.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Double Bingo! This is getting ridiculously funny. I set this option some time ago when I was using my phone in the car and I wanted my screen to stay on while charging for an app I was using. I never did turn it off. It still does what I want though. It's easy enough to just turn the screen OFF while charging if that's what you want to do.

The bottom line is that I'm leaving the option ON simply because of my wanting my music app to stay on while on my Pixel Stand. After two minutes my screen does dim, so burn-in isn't a problem at all.

I really do appreciate everyone coming up with the reasons why my Pixel Stand is doing what I want it to do with my apps. The Android Central forums have had so much value to me over the years.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Double Bingo! This is getting ridiculously funny.

Lol. Welp, at least we solved that mystery. Ask a simple question and we had to chase down rabbit holes to find the convoluted answer. Thanks for sticking with it.

Now, if we can just get Google to fix the bug that causes the Pixel Stand media player display to time out after ten minutes...