Phone charging rapidly and slowly on same charger.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
At the bottom of the lock screen when I plug my phone in to charge, it would tell me "rapidly" or "slowly" or somethings just "charging".

Yesterday I noticed something strange happening. I had never seen the "slowly" response before until I realized I had my USB cable in a different port on my laptop. I changed back to my normal USB port and then it stated that it was charging "Rapidly" again. However, when I took my phone off to use and then plugged it back in, it said "slowly" from this port.

Then when I was going to bed and I placed my phone on the dock, it said charging "slowly" again. I rebooted the phone and placed it back on the dock and it then said charging "rapidly".

Clearly this is happening not just from the USB but from the wireless as well. Why is my phone bouncing back and forth on charging status?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"Rapidly" happens only during one phase of the charge - usually up to about 70%. From that point on, it reverts to normal charge (or the battery would overheat). Some phones get confused about which part of the cycle they're in and report it improperly. (If the phone was charging to, say, 69%, it would indicate about 71% [due to the way we measure state of charge, the fact that the charger is plugged in makes it seem as if it's charged a little more than it really is - which is why, if you remove the charger the moment it hits 100%, it drops down to 99%]. Then is would be charging normally. If you remove it from the dock it's at 69%, so if you put it back on the dock it's going to be charging rapidly - but not for long - it will revert to normal after a short time.)

"Slowly" is 480mA. That's from a USB 2.0 port. The port can't provide more than 500mA.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
At the bottom of the lock screen when I plug my phone in to charge, it would tell me "rapidly" or "slowly" or somethings just "charging".

Yesterday I noticed something strange happening. I had never seen the "slowly" response before until I realized I had my USB cable in a different port on my laptop. I changed back to my normal USB port and then it stated that it was charging "Rapidly" again. However, when I took my phone off to use and then plugged it back in, it said "slowly" from this port.

Then when I was going to bed and I placed my phone on the dock, it said charging "slowly" again. I rebooted the phone and placed it back on the dock and it then said charging "rapidly".

Clearly this is happening not just from the USB but from the wireless as well. Why is my phone bouncing back and forth on charging status?

I dont think anything to worry about because your switching between slow charging to rapid and got confused and restart got it going again.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
"Slowly" is 480mA. That's from a USB 2.0 port. The port can't provide more than 500mA.

So thats where it is weird. On my USB port it actually charges pretty fast. And most of the time it will state "rapidly" on the phone. Just yesterday was the first time it was saying "slowly" and then when I unplugged it and plugged it back in it went back to normal.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I dont think anything to worry about because your switching between slow charging to rapid and got confused and restart got it going again.

Well, that just happened to be the first time I caught it. Ill have to start paying attention when I plug my phone in from now on.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Your laptop USBs are not charging ports, unless so indicated. While they are indeed powered and can charge a phone, it's not their main purpose. Since one gave you fast charging, you probably have a USB 3.0 and a 2.0 which you switched between.
Side Note : Charging off any device not yours could inject malware.

Last edited:

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Since one gave you fast charging, you probably have a USB 3.0 and a 2.0 which you switched between.

Yes, I discovered I had one 2.0 and one 3.0 and my phone is normally plugged into the 3.0. It was just weird that the 3.0 was giving me "slowly" and then when I took it out and plugged it back in it went to "rapidly".

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Just an update on this. I have found that sometimes on the same charger, at the bottom of the screen it will say "Charging", "Charging slowly", or "Charging rapidly". On the same USB cable out of my laptop sometimes it bounces between "Charging" and "Charging rapidly". I also see this happening on my dock.

One other strange thing I have noticed about the dock is sometimes my phone will go in and out of charging mode the first 10 or so minutes I put it on there. I can tell because Ill be laying in bed and the screen will pop out of the darker ambient display and brighten up the room with the home screen. It doesnt do this the rest of the night though. Sometimes I wonder if having a case on the phone does this(even though its rated to work with the dock). I also find that if the phone isnt DIRECTLY centered on the dock, the charging goes in and out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just an update on this. I have found that sometimes on the same charger, at the bottom of the screen it will say "Charging", "Charging slowly", or "Charging rapidly". On the same USB cable out of my laptop sometimes it bounces between "Charging" and "Charging rapidly". I also see this happening on my dock.

One other strange thing I have noticed about the dock is sometimes my phone will go in and out of charging mode the first 10 or so minutes I put it on there. I can tell because Ill be laying in bed and the screen will pop out of the darker ambient display and brighten up the room with the home screen. It doesnt do this the rest of the night though. Sometimes I wonder if having a case on the phone does this(even though its rated to work with the dock). I also find that if the phone isnt DIRECTLY centered on the dock, the charging goes in and out.

That's a good question about case , as the one I have won't charge unless I take it off . Now on my iPhone x with it's case probably is more wireless friendly charges on the pixel stand

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
That's a good question about case , as the one I have won't charge unless I take it off . Now on my iPhone x with it's case probably is more wireless friendly charges on the pixel stand

Yeah, I have the Ringke with the clear plastic back. One of the main features was that it works with the Google dock. Which it does, just sometimes it doesnt lol.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I have the Ringke with the clear plastic back. One of the main features was that it works with the Google dock. Which it does, just sometimes it doesnt lol.

One way to Know if that case is the causing a problem is try one night without it see what happens.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
One way to Know if that case is the causing a problem is try one night without it see what happens.

I think its only happening when the phone isnt exactly centered. The test here is if, without a case, the phone can be off center but still keep the charge connection.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think its only happening when the phone isnt exactly centered. The test here is if, without a case, the phone can be off center but still keep the charge connection.

Good question, I think a little off center it Should charge without a case. But u have to test it out

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Good question, I think a little off center it Should charge without a case. But u have to test it out

Ok, Ive been too lazy to try this, only because my case is annoyingly tight so taking it off is a chore. That being said, I have still noticed it will still sometimes choose between "Charging" and "Charging Rapidly" while on the dock. My phone is typically put on the dock at the end of the day with at least 50% still left. Not sure at what point the phone determines which rate to charge at.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok, Ive been too lazy to try this, only because my case is annoyingly tight so taking it off is a chore. That being said, I have still noticed it will still sometimes choose between "Charging" and "Charging Rapidly" while on the dock. My phone is typically put on the dock at the end of the day with at least 50% still left. Not sure at what point the phone determines which rate to charge at.

I'll have to test myself but I would think I as you get closer to 100 percent it wouldn't need rapid charging meaning from 75 or 80 percent could be wrong but I haven't paid attention.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a Pixel 3 with the Pixel stand charger. It does a good job with the charging aspect . However, I get no notification of the charging rate. What am I missing? Thanks

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There is no notification. But on the bottom of the lock screen, it will show current charging mode, e.g. charging rapidly, charging slowly or just charging.

You can also see this info in settings app.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Assuming you're looking for audible notifications the only thing available for the Pixel is a sound when plugging in to let you know you plugged in. If you are looking for much more than that my suggestion would be to search the Google Store

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty