05-21-2019 08:02 PM
60 123
tools
    Context: I have been a pixel user since the first one, but lately I've been really underwhelmed by their products and their attitude towards providing users what they want. I always thought best camera and great software isn't enough. It can't be because anybody can do that.

It's the middle of 2019. All the big boys are out (well almost). Samsung LG OnePlus. But none of them could nail these two things at the same time; camera and software. Even the pixel 3a at 399 is doing what all the big boys couldn't.

Samsung, yes, their software has gotten way better but still isn't as fluid as Google and OnePlus.

LG, I don't understand their pricing. The products are good but the price is just too high in this climate.

OnePlus, while eeeeeeverything is amazing about the 7 pro, the cameras aren't. Plus, the pop-up camera? Anyways.

Apple, comes close to nailing the mix only if you like iOS. I don't.

I was wrong. I guess nailing this mix of amazing camera and software is something I can't take for granted anymore. Nobody can do what Google does. I used to be a Google fanboy but then I lost them. I'm a Google fan boy again!

What do you think? Is this mix overrated? What mix do you look for in a phone?
    05-14-2019 12:59 PM
    You're overlooking one thing - no one is going to come close to Google's camera capability until they design their own silicon (as Google did) or someone designs something similar and sells it to other manufacturers. (Or phones get fast enough to do all that processing in software in a small fraction of a second - that's how the OP did it, and it was slow. It's still going to be slow with a Snapdragon 855.) I guess that's why everyone was comparing their cameras with the Pixel 3 - it was almost a "See how close we can get to the Pixel 3?" contest.

The rest? They still don't have an SD slot (and probably won't ever). And they still don't have a user-replaceable battery (and probably never will). But 128GB and TWRP is almost as good as an external SD card. And the battery? We'll see if it lasts as long as my Note 3 did (4 years).
    eric002 likes this.
    05-14-2019 01:18 PM
    Context: I have been a pixel user since the first one, but lately I've been really underwhelmed by their products and their attitude towards providing users what they want. I always thought best camera and great software isn't enough. It can't be because anybody can do that.

It's the middle of 2019. All the big boys are out (well almost). Samsung LG OnePlus. But none of them could nail these two things at the same time; camera and software. Even the pixel 3a at 399 is doing what all the big boys couldn't.

Samsung, yes, their software has gotten way better but still isn't as fluid as Google and OnePlus.

LG, I don't understand their pricing. The products are good but the price is just too high in this climate.

OnePlus, while eeeeeeverything is amazing about the 7 pro, the cameras aren't. Plus, the pop-up camera? Anyways.

Apple, comes close to nailing the mix only if you like iOS. I don't.

I was wrong. I guess nailing this mix of amazing camera and software is something I can't take for granted anymore. Nobody can do what Google does. I used to be a Google fanboy but then I lost them. I'm a Google fan boy again!

What do you think? Is this mix overrated? What mix do you look for in a phone?
    No no you're review of all smartphone manufacturers is 100% accurate. I've been thinking this for years at this point. I used to have an LG Android phone and the Samsung Galaxy s8. The user experience on pixel phones and older Nexus phones with far Superior. Yes touch was has gone smoother, but it's nowhere near stock Android. I don't think it ever will be. And besides, Samsung Android phones are too gimmicky for my taste. That's why they need the more RAM and processing power to process and smooth out all the features that the phone is capable of.

LG Android phones are decent from what I've heard, but LG in the Android smartphone area does not have a good reputation. I've never bought an LG phone, although I've come close once. LG used to have good cameras on their phones and they still might, but everything else about their phones is pretty crappy. They're Android skins sucks, And they have just as many software gimmicks as Galaxy phones do.

OnePlus phones from what I've heard are very good all around. I almost bought the 6T but I'm so so happy went with my 3 XL. Regardless though, You're right, overall OnePlus phones are very good although they're just not very popular in the United States and the 7 pro not sure if it will be compatible in the United States either. Overseas their much more popular but not in America. With that being said though, their camera is overall are okay at best. by the way you're absolutely right, the second so that OnePlus 7 pro pop up selfie camera, I started laughing...

Apple as always had very good cameras on their phones. There's no denying that. However, you're right once again unless you're an IOS lover, It doesn't matter one way or another. Apple softwares to proprietary , and too restrictive for my taste and from any Android users tastes. Also not very customizable not user friendly in my opinion.

I've always been on Google fanboy; and an opinionated one at best haha. I've always known machine learning/algorithm/artificial intelligence would rein supreme. I mean I'm not discounting that a wide angle lens wouldn't be nice on the phone but I don't personally have used for it. If I want to take a picture of the distance or get an entire scene of a shot I just walk a few steps back as long as it's safe for me to do so. Every single time I take a picture with my 3XL, I'm floored at the results. HDR plus enhanced plus machine learning image processing does the work for me. I admit, I'm no pro photographer by any stretch of the imagination. I take regular shots with my cameras and the phone does all the work which is one of the main reasons why I, along with everyone else here got their pixels! As far as the future smartphones, the next generation will be 5G but we are nowhere near that. There's just something to always be said about software updates, stock Android, and a very smooth fluid user experience! all of Google services including applications are so much smoother on Pixel phones as well.
    05-14-2019 01:30 PM
    I've always enjoyed the Pixel phones but have been digging my iPhone XS Max lately. I'm cool with iOS especially since iOS 12. I used to not but the stuff I can do for sharing and communicating with the family is a big hook.

For me it's always iPhone or Pixel mainly for the security updates. Majority don't care about that but I'm part of the few who do .
    bhatech likes this.
    05-14-2019 03:13 PM
    I've always enjoyed the Pixel phones but have been digging my iPhone XS Max lately. I'm cool with iOS especially since iOS 12. I used to not but the stuff I can do for sharing and communicating with the family is a big hook.

For me it's always iPhone or Pixel mainly for the security updates. Majority don't care about that but I'm part of the few who do .
    Yes. I've always loved iPhones too for their hardware and cameras. I don't miss android at all when I'm using it, but as soon as I pick up an android phone I'm reminded how amazing it feels to even just place an icon wherever you want.

I think it's the iPhone which helps sell android phones and vice versa. It's so refreshing to go back to such a polished OS after using Google OS for a long period of time and similarly going back to such a customisable OS after being locked down with iOS.

I agree with you when you say that Apple and Google are providing a unique (and similar to each other in many ways) mix of features which is doing the trick. I think where Apple takes a hit is in pricing and Google with their hardware. Wish Apple would come down with price a little and Google would up their game in hardware a bit.

Having said that, let's not forget the industry leading manufacturers such as Xiaomi and Huawei. Clearly they're doing something right too. They're providing a rich mix of hardware, features and pricing.
    Almeuit and Vega007 like this.
    05-14-2019 04:47 PM
    No no you're review of all smartphone manufacturers is 100% accurate. I've been thinking this for years at this point. I used to have an LG Android phone and the Samsung Galaxy s8. The user experience on pixel phones and older Nexus phones with far Superior. Yes touch was has gone smoother, but it's nowhere near stock Android. I don't think it ever will be. And besides, Samsung Android phones are too gimmicky for my taste. That's why they need the more RAM and processing power to process and smooth out all the features that the phone is capable of.

LG Android phones are decent from what I've heard, but LG in the Android smartphone area does not have a good reputation. I've never bought an LG phone, although I've come close once. LG used to have good cameras on their phones and they still might, but everything else about their phones is pretty crappy. They're Android skins sucks, And they have just as many software gimmicks as Galaxy phones do.

OnePlus phones from what I've heard are very good all around. I almost bought the 6T but I'm so so happy went with my 3 XL. Regardless though, You're right, overall OnePlus phones are very good although they're just not very popular in the United States and the 7 pro not sure if it will be compatible in the United States either. Overseas their much more popular but not in America. With that being said though, their camera is overall are okay at best. by the way you're absolutely right, the second so that OnePlus 7 pro pop up selfie camera, I started laughing...

Apple as always had very good cameras on their phones. There's no denying that. However, you're right once again unless you're an IOS lover, It doesn't matter one way or another. Apple softwares to proprietary , and too restrictive for my taste and from any Android users tastes. Also not very customizable not user friendly in my opinion.

I've always been on Google fanboy; and an opinionated one at best haha. I've always known machine learning/algorithm/artificial intelligence would rein supreme. I mean I'm not discounting that a wide angle lens wouldn't be nice on the phone but I don't personally have used for it. If I want to take a picture of the distance or get an entire scene of a shot I just walk a few steps back as long as it's safe for me to do so. Every single time I take a picture with my 3XL, I'm floored at the results. HDR plus enhanced plus machine learning image processing does the work for me. I admit, I'm no pro photographer by any stretch of the imagination. I take regular shots with my cameras and the phone does all the work which is one of the main reasons why I, along with everyone else here got their pixels! As far as the future smartphones, the next generation will be 5G but we are nowhere near that. There's just something to always be said about software updates, stock Android, and a very smooth fluid user experience! all of Google services including applications are so much smoother on Pixel phones as well.
    I agree with all of what you said.

What about Xiaomi and Huawei? Do you think Apple and Google can learn a thing or two from them? What that might be in your opinion? I say that because clearly they're doing something right too.
    05-14-2019 04:49 PM
    Having said that, let's not forget the industry leading manufacturers such as Xiaomi and Huawei. Clearly they're doing something right too. They're providing a rich mix of hardware, features and pricing.
    For me I just don't trust those companies. No matter how good their phone is I won't use them.
    J Dubbs and BillyBreathes like this.
    05-14-2019 05:25 PM
    I agree with all of what you said.

What about Xiaomi and Huawei? Do you think Apple and Google can learn a thing or two from them? What that might be in your opinion? I say that because clearly they're doing something right too.
    I had a Huawei phone the Nexus 6P. from manufacturer standpoint, the phone was pretty legit actually except for the whole damn inevitable boot loop issue. Huawei's customer service sucks. They wouldn't warranty my phone out after I had the boot loop issue. Now, Xiaomi, I've never owned a phone from them before, I probably never will because they're strictly at Chinese manufacturer. They're not sold in the states from Verizon or compatible with the Verizon LTE network. As far as their phones I don't know if I would trust any Chinese company ever again either including Huawei. Privacy issues etc etc.

I'm not sure what Google or Apple would learn from Chinese Android phone manufacturers. I mean as far as software is concerned, the fact of the matter is Huawei and Xiaomi once again put their own custom skins over Android. It's a simplified skin but it's still a skin. And their phones don't feature anything special versus Samsung LG or of course Pixel phones. Apple rose the fame with the iPhone simply because it's Always been pretty good at multimedia. Apple's been a multimedia company since Steve Jobs days. For example, I mean that iOS was created on the iTunes premise and that's where applications started. Then came Android. The iPhone camera is always been pretty decent. however like I said you wouldn't notice it if you're not an iOS lover simple as that. As far as why can't these other companies use machine learning like Google can? That's a wonderful question but no other Android manufacturer has yet That's the fact of it. Now, does that suggest that I'm going to happen in the future I don't know... Unfortunately I just can't predict the future haha, but what I can say is as long as Google keeps up there digital habit of algorithms, AI, machine learning, and excellent excellent software and HDR plus enhanced picture taking, it'll be very hard if not impossible to supersede them in the smartphone cameras arena. sorry if this sounds too Google Pixel bias but I am 100% guilty of that AKA I'm a Google fan boy!
    05-14-2019 06:40 PM
    For me I just don't trust those companies. No matter how good their phone is I won't use them.
    I couldn't agree with you more so!
    J Dubbs likes this.
    05-14-2019 06:43 PM
    Especially with talk of spyware from China.
    eric002 and J Dubbs like this.
    05-14-2019 07:10 PM
    Especially with talk of spyware from China.
    I think it's just hoax constructed to keep these giants out of the western market but hey, everybody has their own opinions. No company is more guilty of spying than Google. At this point, honestly, I think we should just let go of this argument because nobody is safe. But that's another debate.

I think MiUi is really amazing. I've used it on their budget as well as high end phones and it's blazing blazing blazing fast, smooth and responsive. Also, it's asthetically uniform all around and I prefer the look more than OneUi. There's that. Their hardware is really beautiful too. I live in the UK so Huawei and Xiaomi are really apparent here. Apple Samsung and Huawei dominate the UK market.

Unfortunately, brand value counts in the west. Name matters. Just like Apple Google and Samsung aren't trusted in the east, Xiaomi and Huawei aren't trusted here. What Apple Samsung and Google can learn from these brands, however, (in addition to the amazing reviews Pixel 3a has gotten) the budget and mid-range market is still the place to be. Competition in this space will help bring down the prices and force manufacturers to make better products for that segment.

The importance of delivering quality at a lower price, is what these companies can learn from Xiaomi and Huawei.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    05-14-2019 09:57 PM
    For me my favorite phones have always been the near stock android phones. Such as the Nexus/Pixel line .I don't care for the china made phones for that reason of spyware.I just don't see any android phone that impresses me enough over the Pixels at this time. I do wish they were not as pricey but that's about it.

Samsung phones just have to many built in bells and whistles for my taste.

I have used apple phones and have one currently the XR. I use it along side whichever Pixel I have on my other line. I don't think I could use an apple phone as my only phone.
    Dual wielding works for me though.
    05-15-2019 05:30 AM
    For me my favorite phones have always been the near stock android phones. Such as the Nexus/Pixel line .I don't care for the china made phones for that reason of spyware.I just don't see any android phone that impresses me enough over the Pixels at this time. I do wish they were not as pricey but that's about it.

Samsung phones just have to many built in bells and whistles for my taste.

I have used apple phones and have one currently the XR. I use it along side whichever Pixel I have on my other line. I don't think I could use an apple phone as my only phone.
    Dual wielding works for me though.
    Yep yep, that's exactly how I feel. I'm not trying to discount Samsung Galaxy phones at all. They are of horse packed with tons of features and they're also packed with a crab ton of resources because they need the resources in order to run smoothly in Quickly. They are not fluid and they're not into it to use though. I've always loved Nexus pixel phones. I always will. I don't plan on giving up my 3XL for quite a while. LG username good Android phones and they still do but again like I said, they're skinned over Android isn't just blow it but it doesn't work and the user's favor. they had one of the first wide angle cameras on the phone but then The company just stopped caring for some reason. I mean on that notion, HTC used to make great Android phones as well. I remember years ago when Verizon's 4G LTE network first came out the HTC thunderbolt was the phone to have. And now it has been bought over by Google, and the rest of their smartphone business is pretty much non-existent.same thing with Motorola, they're about over by la Nova. Now, Motorola does have a few different Android phones one with some 5G mod but a lot of people just have buying them I don't know why. They have near stock Android and the reason I don't buy them? There's no advantage of buying them over a pixel phone. I remember years and years ago Samsung had started that whole entire spec war then Apple got into the game then they said they could do the same thing with less resourcesvv That's exactly when users got power hungry And then The spec war was really really heated up! Then Google said what the heck is going on? Google then showed off their other manufacturers And a lot of people in the world that you don't need to have a crap in a resources to have a very enjoyable experience!
    05-15-2019 06:42 AM
    Yep yep, that's exactly how I feel. I'm not trying to discount Samsung Galaxy phones at all. They are of horse packed with tons of features and they're also packed with a crab ton of resources because they need the resources in order to run smoothly in Quickly. They are not fluid and they're not into it to use though. I've always loved Nexus pixel phones. I always will. I don't plan on giving up my 3XL for quite a while. LG username good Android phones and they still do but again like I said, they're skinned over Android isn't just blow it but it doesn't work and the user's favor. they had one of the first wide angle cameras on the phone but then The company just stopped caring for some reason. I mean on that notion, HTC used to make great Android phones as well. I remember years ago when Verizon's 4G LTE network first came out the HTC thunderbolt was the phone to have. And now it has been bought over by Google, and the rest of their smartphone business is pretty much non-existent.same thing with Motorola, they're about over by la Nova. Now, Motorola does have a few different Android phones one with some 5G mod but a lot of people just have buying them I don't know why. They have near stock Android and the reason I don't buy them? There's no advantage of buying them over a pixel phone. I remember years and years ago Samsung had started that whole entire spec war then Apple got into the game then they said they could do the same thing with less resourcesvv That's exactly when users got power hungry And then The spec war was really really heated up! Then Google said what the heck is going on? Google then showed off their other manufacturers And a lot of people in the world that you don't need to have a crap in a resources to have a very enjoyable experience!
    Yeah my sister has had Samsung phones and loves them.
    So have a few other people I know. There is nothing wrong with that.
    Get what works for you and makes you happy is the bottom line.

That's what I do anyway.
    I do read up on phones I don't get.Just to stay a little bit informed on them.

Edit : btw the HTC Incredible was my very first Android Phone
    I also had the 2013/2014/2015 Moto X line
    05-15-2019 06:51 AM
    Yeah my sister has had Samsung phones and loves them.
    So have a few other people I know. There is nothing wrong with that.
    Get what works for you and makes you happy is the bottom line.

That's what I do anyway.
    I do read up on phones I don't get.Just to stay a little bit informed on them.
    Yes, the first lot of people like Samsung devices but it's a lot of hype and marketing too. I mean when I had my Galaxy s8, It was a decent photo best for me. I love tweaking and modifying the system settings so it didn't work very well for me but I'm a geek so I'm in a very niche market as many of us here are.I feel like Galaxy phones are good for the general American. they just want good overall features on a phone and most of them do not use half of making gimmicky features on the phones.oh without a doubt , the bottom line is get the phone that makes you happy. Done deal.

For the record, yes when I HTC incredible the first one, definitely was great. Great looks great specs It was just awesome and I wound up rooting it and putting custom ROM on it. The problem is that HTC couldn't keep up with the times and they would under very quickly. They also put some weird features into their cameras which no customer bought.
    05-15-2019 07:01 AM
    I've been a pixel user for years as well, but I'll tell you what, if you put the G cam APK on your oneplus6t, you can't tell the difference between 99.999% of the photos. At that point, everything else on the phone outweighs the Google and makes the OnePlus 6t better
    05-15-2019 07:57 AM
    Yes, and that's almost what I did. It's not that one plus ones are not good they're just not heavily sold in the United States. They are mostly overseas phones. When I was And the process of upgrading my phone, if Verizon hadn't given me a good promotional deal on the pixel 3 XL I was going to buy the OnePlus 6T. At the time, Verizon had a very good promotion for new customers for $400 off of pixel phone which I'm sure many of us remember. now that, coupled with the fact that I've always wanted a pixel phone or another Google phone help me out a lot! OnePlus phones are very near stock Android phones with very decent software updates and indeed. Again, not to harp on it too much but, one plus and other Chinese manufacturers just don't have a Very good sales presence in the United States, Let alone on Verizon. And some of that is due to carrier issues to such as pixel sales. But that's another story... I will say that if I were ever going to buy a Chinese branded Android phone, I would get a OnePlus phone obviously. But that will probably never have been
    05-15-2019 08:15 AM
    I had a Huawei phone the Nexus 6P. from manufacturer standpoint, the phone was pretty legit actually except for the whole damn inevitable boot loop issue.
    I had a 6P and right after 1 year of owning it (i was a late bloomer too, came in 6 months later) it had major battery problems and the bootloop issue eventually presented itself. That was enough for me to never buy another product from the company, Google supported or not.
    05-15-2019 08:37 AM
    I had a 6P and right after 1 year of owning it (i was a late bloomer too, came in 6 months later) it had major battery problems and the bootloop issue eventually presented itself. That was enough for me to never buy another product from the company, Google supported or not.
    yep you're correct! Before that and I Had the boot loop and battery issue of the 6P, I never used Huawei before the same most Americans never had. Unless you're a heavy phone reviewer, or you actively buy unlocked GSM phones from overseas, you've never used Huawei. so, figured why not... Let me give a shot. And like you said, for the first almost a year of my ownership of the phone, it was great dual stereo speakers sell a built quality stock Android with my first Nexus phone and I absolutely freaking love the phone! Then one day the phone unfortunately shut that on me, and I tried to move into bootloader but I couldn't, and between the battery smoking itself out and the boot loop issue, the phone fried itself out. I tried to call Huawei customer service and they were less than helpful and refused to warranty my phone out and I said to hell with it. then basically I was forced into buying my Galaxy s8. I hadn't had a Galaxy phone since the Galaxy S3 then I forgot how gimmicky and how many useless features it had on the phone for me. My mom has a Galaxy note 2 And is perfectly fine with it. She sucks with technology and she might never upgrade ever again. But to her, the phone is great.
    05-15-2019 08:46 AM
    That's actually really interesting. Yes, you're right about that. But another thing is that visual core allows apps such as WhatsApp Snapchat and Instagram to use the HDR processing of the Pixel cameras. Correct me if I'm wrong but I guess Pixels are the only phones which allow that? I do know that Snapchat and Instagram stories do look far superior than those coming from other android phones.

It's the whole package with the camera and the software which I put emphasis on. It's not just inside the camera app where Pixels excel, but also in other social apps. While I don't mind having mediocre quality in those social apps, it's refreshing to see that I CAN indeed get amazing results too.
    05-15-2019 08:53 AM
    Google has done a great job with their devices and accessories without a doubt. I am a long time smartphone user and use both android and apple, I just picked up the pixel 3 and love it. I carry the pixel and a iPad mini so I have the best of both worlds.
    05-15-2019 09:01 AM
    Yep you're right it's all about the experience. Google plays is a huge game with software experience.now, the only thing that I really wish Google didn't do was make the pixel stand so expensive! Otherwise I would pick one up. But plugging my phone into a fast charger is not a big deal but it's still nice to have one. I'm not spending 80 bucks on a charger though. Even on eBay that cheapest I found one is $45 which is still a little too expensive considering the amount of time I actually spend charging my phone.
    05-15-2019 09:02 AM
    You're right, I was an HTC man from Incredible to M8 to 10 (with a pitstop or two with Moto) and didn't see the big deal about Pixel until selling my 10 for the P2XL. Wife has had Samsung. Nothing compares to Pixel. Nothing. (Wife even switched to P2XL)...family always wants to use our devices for pictures because it's just better than their iDevices.
    05-15-2019 09:16 AM
    Yep yep absolutely correct once again. no other phones camera hardware and software can compare to the pixels. Google knows that! It's one of their bread and butter for the company. I can take a picture of anything and with HDR plus and hands mode turned on all the time, that picture will come out looking great. any silent picture on the pixel looks amazing. And I really don't take video with my phone all that much.The only thing that my older Nexus 6P didn't have that Samsung Galaxy phones had at that time was automatic brightness. So basically what I always did was had to manually remember to adjust the brightness slider from dim to bright depending on where I was indoors or outdoors. Thankfully Google got the hint and created adaptive brightness , and adaptive battery! The big hoopla about Google phones is that the software works with users versus against users or not in users favor... Unfortunately, that's all I would have bought down to. The pixel phone is for everyone. It was never meant to be a niche phone it just became one because of marketing from Samsung from their Galaxy phones on their Galaxy note line of phones. And also to compete against Apple. now, of course, you have Google's marketing of the pixel line for premium phones and then the pixel 3A series for the affordable version of the phone. For the record though, I really do believe that if more and more customers really did use a pixel phone, they would absolutely love it. Now, whether or not that actually happens is another story but you get my point. on a separate point, the one thing I really find annoying fresh came back other Android phones especially Galaxy phones as the fact that I have two different photo apps. Google photos and then the manufacturer's own photo application. And one plus does this too. again, not a streamlined user-friendly experience in my opinion. Because which photo application does the user actually use, without being taught?
    05-15-2019 09:49 AM
    I think it's just hoax constructed to keep these giants out of the western market but hey, everybody has their own opinions. No company is more guilty of spying than Google. At this point, honestly, I think we should just let go of this argument because nobody is safe. But that's another debate.

I think MiUi is really amazing. I've used it on their budget as well as high end phones and it's blazing blazing blazing fast, smooth and responsive. Also, it's asthetically uniform all around and I prefer the look more than OneUi. There's that. Their hardware is really beautiful too. I live in the UK so Huawei and Xiaomi are really apparent here. App
    Mmmm..... Spying means they do it and you don't know. Google literally tells you up front "We will do (X), (Y), and (Z) if you turn these things on. If you don't want this then turn it off"

Unfortunately, brand value counts in the west. Name matters. Just like Apple Google and Samsung aren't trusted in the east, Xiaomi and Huawei aren't trusted here. What Apple Samsung and Google can learn from these brands, however, (in addition to the amazing reviews Pixel 3a has gotten) the budget and mid-range market is still the place to be. Competition in this space will help bring down the prices and force manufacturers to make better products for that segment.
    I simply don't trust them for things that have happened and been discovered. Simple as that. Just like I don't trust OnePlus after they had an "oops" on sending clipboard data to China. That makes me not trust it as much.
    Vega007 and J Dubbs like this.
    05-15-2019 11:30 AM
60 123