connecting issues with car

2crazy98

Jul 4, 2019
Visit site
I know the pixel has android auto and i drive a 2015 mazda cx5 that doesn't support android auto, so if i connect by bluetooth i can play my music but if i connect by usb it will only charge my phone. Is there a way to disable android auto i guess so that if i connect my phone by usb i can just play my music?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That has nothing to do with Android Auto at all.
It depends on two things:

1. Does you car radio plays music from USB port.

2. Once connected, did you config your phone USB connection to File Transfer mode, not the default Charge Only mode?

You don't have to disable Android Auto for this to work.

2crazy98

Jul 4, 2019
Visit site

2. Once connected, did you config your phone USB connection to File Transfer mode, not the default Charge Only mode?

1. Yes i use to have an iphone and it worked when i connected it by usb.

2. No i haven't tried that but i will go give that a shot!

2crazy98

Jul 4, 2019
Visit site

I just gave it a try and sadly no change, my phone still charged but the car never picked up the phone's connection.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Then, your car radio probably don't support uSB audio files or MTP media protocol, only iPhone specific interface. Also, you need to have music locally on the phone.

2crazy98

Jul 4, 2019
Visit site
Then, your car radio probably don't support uSB audio files or MTP media protocol, only iPhone specific interface. Also, you need to have music locally on the phone.

oh really? ok that may be an issue then since i mostly stream from apple music. I guess my car radio is just out of date :( Thankfully i can still connect by bluetooth

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
When you connect your phone via USB, it will just like you connected a USB flash drive. The actual playback is done by car radio's media player. Other wise, you have to use either Bluetooth or Android Auto.

I just had my 2013 Miata's radio replaced with a wireless Android Auto and Car Play headunits. Having Google Maps on my car screen is well worth the money, IMO.

2crazy98

Jul 4, 2019
Visit site
When you connect your phone via USB, it will just like you connected a USB flash drive. The actual playback is done by car radio's media player. Other wise, you have to use either Bluetooth or Android Auto.

My car's radio typically when i connect a usb the tab becomes white indicating something is plugged in and ready to use, thats what it did for my iphone but with my android it says grayed out. Like you said tho i'll just stick with bluetooth then, better than nothing! Thanks for your help!!