Is your Pixel 3 spontaneously rebooting after Android 10?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
You can do a debug dump, but I doubt that you'd be able to make much sense of it. (I've been writing software for 46 years, but I still can't,) But Google can. Call customer support, report the problem, tell them that you'll probably have to do a debug dump and email it to an engineer, and they'll eventually kick the call up to someone who can help you. (That's one reason I stay with Google - great customer support.)

I was thinking of contacting Google and asking for their specific troubleshooting procedure before I start. I want to say I did what THEY recommended in case they need to swap my phone. I'm also going to ask about this debug dump.

Can you tell us how to do this debug dump? I did something in recovery mode that brought up a lot of code but I bet it wasn't this.

Thanks!

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone seen mentions of particular apps that have caused issues? Apple Music was mentioned above. Any others?

(I'm trying to separate the posts into topics)

Ok - let's get in this. Looking at my app notification history, these apps were active in the middle of the night:

Google Play Music
Citi Mobile
Clock
Digital Wellbeing

I am disabling digital wellbeing right now! --- Guess not, I can't. I disabled its usage access instead.

@KPMcClave - Do you use any of those apps? Do you have smart home apps (e.g., Nest, Ecobee, etc)?

swampbaby

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Last edited:

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I have AdGuard installed and at least once a day I encounter a random restart. AdGuard said they're aware of bugs with AdGuard and Android 10 and are working on a fix.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Adguard/co...ixel/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...boot/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...arts/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Bingo. The last two Reddit threads identify the exact same issue I am having. Before I read this, I already emailed AdGuard earlier today. Curious what their latest status is. Feels a little better knowing the cause may have been identified. Would have never found this without the forum and thanks @swampbaby!

Standing at a cashier's counter this afternoon, unlocked my phone to use Google Pay, two seconds later, it rebooted in my hand. Shoved it in my pocket and used a credit card. I may turn off AdGuard and wait for the fix.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

(I'm trying to separate the posts into topics)

Ok - let's get in this. Looking at my app notification history, these apps were active in the middle of the night:

Google Play Music
Citi Mobile
Clock
Digital Wellbeing

I am disabling digital wellbeing right now! --- Guess not, I can't. I disabled its usage access instead.

@KPMcClave - Do you use any of those apps? Do you have smart home apps (e.g., Nest, Ecobee, etc)?

I use the clock, of course. None of the others (have usage access disabled for Wellbeing.

I do have smart stuff. Nest (thermostat and Protect smoke/Co2 detectors), Simplisafe alarm).

My Pixel 3 XL has rebooted at some point during the overnight the past two nights.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I have AdGuard installed and at least once a day I encounter a random restart. AdGuard said they're aware of bugs with AdGuard and Android 10 and are working on a fix.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Adguard/co...ixel/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...boot/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...arts/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Thanks! I also have AdGuard. I'm on the "nightly" releases, because I'm a dork like that.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Circling back to say that shutting off AdGaurd did stop the reboots for me for a day and a half or so.

I took the recent (9/23) update on my Pixel 3 XL yesterday, turned AdGuard back on, and so far haven't had a reboot...

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I took the recent (9/23) update on my Pixel 3 XL yesterday, turned AdGuard back on, and so far haven't had a reboot...

I have bad news. I got the Pixel update last night. My phone just rebooted about 20 minutes ago. This time, I sent the logs to AdGuard. I can also confirm your finding because I turned AdGuard off for two days and had no reboots.

-----

FYI - Here is what AdGuard said in an email to me 2 days ago:

Hello!

Thank you for reaching out to AdGuard Support!

We are indeed aware of this issue, but we need some additional data in order to determine what's causing your phone to reboot while AdGuard is active.

Here’s what we need you to do:
1. Collect the debug log as described here;
2. Remember the exact time when the issue was reproduced, as we will need it to locate corresponding records in the log file;
3. Additionally, capture the system bug report after reproducing the issue;
4. Send both files back to us. If you've opened a GitHub issue regarding this case, please mention the Github issue number.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Best wishes,
AdGuard Support​

-----

And if you want a little more on this, plus the links that came with that email above:
https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?threads/adguard-causing-phone-reboot-on-android-10.35158/

-----

I just turned AdGuard off. It rebooted while I was driving today and I had to pull over to get Auto and Maps running again. Don't want to deal with it.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Circling back to say that shutting off AdGaurd did stop the reboots for me for a day and a half or so.

...and, reboot.

AdGuard off again.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
FYI... Just noticed this. AdGuard turns back on after a reboot. I mean the voluntary kind which I just did myself. Had to turn AdGuard off again.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I got the October 5th security patch. I didn't see any mention of VPN in the changelog but I'm still hopeful.

I just re-enabled "block ads in all apps" under content blocking in AdGuard.

Now, I wait. If it goes 48 hours without a reboot, problem likely solved.

I also got a System Webview update after the patch was done. Early on, someone suggested I check that.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I got the October 5th security patch. I didn't see any mention of VPN in the changelog but I'm still hopeful.

I just re-enabled "block ads in all apps" under content blocking in AdGuard.

Now, I wait. If it goes 48 hours without a reboot, problem likely solved.

I had an issue with Do Not Disturb not automatically starting or stopping after the mid-month update. It worked as expected last night after grabbing the October security release yesterday afternoon. That issue was not listed as patched, so fingers crossed for the AdGuard related reboots.

I have my AdGuard running now, too.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My phone just restarted.

This sucks.

(and I just got another System Webview update after this reboot)

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
My phone just restarted.

This sucks.

(and I just got another System Webview update after this reboot)

I had a reboot yesterday, as well.

My System Webview has been up to date throughout.

I'll just continue manually starting and stopping AdGuard when doing something that is particularly ad-y, and when I can afford risking the short reboot. At least for now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch