Op Ed: Google's Looming Pixel 4 disappointment

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think you think there's a greater emphasis for them in hardware then there really is. If OnePlus doesn't sell handsets, then that's problems for the business as a whole. Don't sell them for a long time and your business is over.

Google could stop selling hardware tomorrow and wouldn't miss a beat. It's practically a rounding error for accounting at this point. That's a bit of hyperbole, but you get my point. Hardware exists to extend the brand, nothing more. They aren't "living and dying" off of phone sales like other OEM's.

As enthusiasts, we may not like it, but Google is company that's more diverse than just selling phones. Phone sales are comparatively more important to One Plus or even Apple. That said, even Apple is preparing for a world where phone sales are deemphasized.

https://youtu.be/1_2-aPCGW2U

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Majority of people can care less about specs , they want a phone to work , problem free and be seamless through what they have going on in everyday life , that's why iPhone is popular. Us here care about more then that ,we love top notch specs , well majority of us geeks . This is why I say the pixel is the iPhone of Android .

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Samsung don't work for in top notch specs.
And gives you the hardware.
Look at the note.

And it has a SD card .
Look at the battery.
Memory.
HD size.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Majority of people can care less about specs , they want a phone to work , problem free and be seamless through what they have going on in everyday life , that's why iPhone is popular. Us here care about more then that ,we love top notch specs , well majority of us geeks . This is why I say the pixel is the iPhone of Android .
Not one person in my immediate or extended family knows or cares about specs outside of storage, size and color. In fact, even a small group of I.T. employees nearby my work area don't care much about specs. There's one I.T. manager I work with that discusses Android vs iPhone with me on occasion and he doesn't even have the latest iPhone. Most spec differentials between 2 years don't matter or aren't noticeable but pick your poison. The two new ones that people are going to argue about are UFS and refresh rate. A year ago no one cared....lol

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not one person in my immediate or extended family knows or cares about specs outside of storage, size and color. In fact, even a small group of I.T. employees nearby my work area don't care much about specs. There's one I.T. manager I work with that discusses Android vs iPhone with me on occasion and he doesn't even have the latest iPhone. Most spec differentials between 2 years don't matter or aren't noticeable but pick your poison. The two new ones that people are going to argue about are UFS and refresh rate. A year ago no one cared....lol
Yup... but I have faster UFS storage then you :)) and more ram

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess a good question is what to compare the device to? The Pixel 3? Of course it's an incremental, if not noteworthy upgrade. But from the 2? It's a bit more significant.

To a degree, the Pixel line is still a lot like the Nexus line. Very few people know about it, and it's for a somewhat niche portion of users.

As far as price is concerned as a whole: I'm not too wild about devices targeting the price point that they are. Let's consider some of the flagships....you can easily pay anywhere between $900-$1,100 for a phone; something you will most likely have to replace in about 3 years due to battery performance. That's a fair amount of cash to spend on that kind of life cycle.