I'm happy with my 4 xl

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I like my 4XL after a few weeks.

I wouldn't mind a screen capable of 650 nits brightness and a 4200-4500 mah battery. Have I had to use the screen at full brightness? No
Have. I run out of battery? No but I would like extra if needed for both

No doubt if you're outside, brightness needs to be up and if you're outside alot, that would hit your battery with the brightness up.

I'd gladly accept a 1 mm thicker phone for extra battery. I would prefer that to a wider phone.

The next one has to be 5G and have these things IMO, and a fingerprint on the display or on the back like before would be good also. Also 4k60fps

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Had the Pixel 4xl for several days. I like it but not in love with it.

Battery life has actually been pretty good so far. Not seeing the what the complaints are about.

Motion Sense is gimmicky for now. Maybe that changes with future updates but right now its useless for me. The reach for phone doesnt work as good as I would like it too. I ended up turning off motion sense all together.

I find it easier to just rely on tap the phone awake.

Brightness is ok, usually hover around 60% which equals like 40% on my note 10.

Face lock is good but not as good as a fingerprint sensor. I find when I am in bed, its finicky and I end up inputting my pin code. Happens way too much. The rest of the time when I am out and about its fine.

Google dropped the ball a bit with this. They should have held off on the face unlock and gestures and go all in on the camera. Update to a newer sony sensor and add a wide angle lens. Save the face unlock and motion gesture so that it has more time in development and allows time for google to push updated api so more companys are able to ad face unlock. I'd rather google kept the physcial fingerprint sensor for more more generation.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Nice to see some fellow 4XL fans out there. I came here this morning looking for just such a thread as this because I'm loving mine. No complaints whatsoever (well, I wouldn't mind fingerprint unlock back, but..)

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I've only had mine since Friday, but I really like it so far. Forget all the nonsense about battery life. I took mine off the charger this morning at 7 a. m. at 100%. I used it fairly light today with playing some videos, taking pictures, reading this forum among other tasks and as I write this at 7:19 p.m., I currently have 84% battery left. That's after 12 hours. I also have brightness set manually to 80%, 90Hz refresh rate is forced on and adaptive battery is off. I read or listened to every review and read every thread in several forums before I decided to buy. I checked the unit in stores and knew exactly what I was buying. I don't use either face unlock or fingerprint scanner so neither was an issue. I have an S10 with wide angle camera when I need one so no problem there either. I'm always near a charger, but I don't think I will need to use one during the day as I do with my Pixel 3. So far, I couldn't be happier.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I love my Pixel 4 XL. I have only had it a few days and so far for me it is the best phone I have owned. I was always a Samsung person. Mainly for the excellent cameras that they had on the phones. I had been hearing about the cameras on the Pixel phones and wanted to give them a try. I did an early upgrade from my year-old Note 9 to the Pixel 4 XL and all I can say is WOW. This phone is amazing. It's fast, intuitive, very fun to work with and the photos are fantastic. I really don't think I could go back to Samsung. I highly recommend this phone.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
You guys are wrong from my use case. I don't even charge overnight anymore with the Pixel 4 XL. I use Android Auto on the way to work, lunch and on the way home. I have a Pixel Stand at work which I usually use to top off the Pixel 4 XL, not needed every day though.

I've used the phone for 2 weeks now and I've never gone below 60%. Use case matters. For me this battery is much better than the 3 XL.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree that usage dictates all. I saw a thread where somebody was complaining about getting only 18 hours of battery.... yet he/she has 7 hours of screen time. 7 hours! Seriously? What kind of life is that?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
You guys are wrong from my use case. I don't even charge overnight anymore with the Pixel 4 XL. I use Android Auto on the way to work, lunch and on the way home. I have a Pixel Stand at work which I usually use to top off the Pixel 4 XL, not needed every day though.

I've used the phone for 2 weeks now and I've never gone below 60%. Use case matters. For me this battery is much better than the 3 XL.
Don't even remember the last time I charged my phone overnight. Dang been few years. Chargers everywhere. Like you, in the car, at work, and multiple at home. I'm always topped off. Rarely go to bed with less than %40 power. In the morning, I have a charger on the bathroom counter top. By the time I get ready in the morning, the phone is over 80% lol. Easy stuff. But I don't have a pixel LOL. note 10+ right now. Traded my pixel 3 XL for $600. Hellllzzzzz yes.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't even remember the last time I charged my phone overnight. Dang been few years. Chargers everywhere. Like you, in the car, at work, and multiple at home. I'm always topped off. Rarely go to bed with less than %40 power. In the morning, I have a charger on the bathroom counter top. By the time I get ready in the morning, the phone is over 80% lol. Easy stuff. But I don't have a pixel LOL. note 10+ right now. Traded my pixel 3 XL for $600. Hellllzzzzz yes.
Yup.... That was a sweet deal

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is this the time to mention that people are going to hate the move to 5G? Wait till y'all see the price increases....

Granted, it's on the margin Uber alles iPhone, but analysts are already expecting a $300+ increase in prices across the board for any 5G iPhone.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Is this the time to mention that people are going to hate the move to 5G? Wait till y'all see the price increases....

Granted, it's on the margin Uber alles iPhone, but analysts are already expecting a $300+ increase in prices across the board for any 5G iPhone.
I'm thinking more of the increased battery draw. Anybody remember what it was like on your first 4G phone? I remember my Thunderbolt started to sweat when I got into a 4G zone.

finzel01880

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I use the Pixel 2XL. I love everything about this phone. I'm using my original purchase I bought about a month after release. I've had zero issues with this phone except now that it's a few years old it's lost some battery longevity. I can deal with it but I want to the P4XL.
Thanks OP for the review, I'll be picking one up on Black Friday!

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I use the Pixel 2XL. I love everything about this phone. I'm using my original purchase I bought about a month after release. I've had zero issues with this phone except now that it's a few years old it's lost some battery longevity. I can deal with it but I want to the P4XL.
Thanks OP for the review, I'll be picking one up on Black Friday!
Can't wait to hear your impressions!

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Like many others, I really like this phone. There are no frills, and I love it. The speakers are nice and loud, the screen is sharp, the phone is fast, the battery lasts long enough, and the integration of AI through Google Assistant is really good.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You know, one of the things that actually stand out are the speakers. I was a little skeptical when I heard they were going with bottom speakers. My experience with those is basically constantly having to adjust my grip when holding it because I covered the port and it went mute.

These? Even if I purposefully cover the entire bottom, sound is only marginally affected.

And for small speakers, they have a good amount of depth... Better than any other phone I've come across. They did a great job.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez