How does the Samsung release affect your views and/or opinions on the Pixel 4?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm in the minority here but I think that the Pixel 4 is really awesome looking. It's one of the many reasons I wanted it.
Looks will always be subjective and user opinionated. I personally think that the Pixel 3's and Pixel 4's are pretty good looking. are they the prettiest phone out there..no. But I think they're pretty cool looking. And yes you're right, it's Google's AI and software intelligence that reigns supreme! It always will!

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
OneUI (TouchWhiz in disguise) is pure trash. The review today cemented it. As long as Samsung sticks with their own bloated trash UI with all of the duplicate Samsung bloatware, it's a hard pass. IfI got one for free, I would just sell it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Unless the camera reviews blow me away I’m not seeing anything that would make me pick it up. I’d rather hold out for the Note come August. Maybe they could figure out a camera array that looks less like my child stuck a mega block to the backside.

If you are referring to the depth I don't think there was away around it without making the whole device thicker. If it was just the optical zoom it might have been thinner but putting in a larger sensor requires more distance between the lens and the sensor.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
if I could get Samsung's s20 ultra with Google's fast update schedule I'd be down. I don't think I'm gonna buy the s20. slow software updates kind of kill if for me. still have a fold that isn't even on the latest os
Samsung updates have been timely since the release of the 10 series phones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Didn't watch it and not interested. Haven't had a Samsung since the s3 but know people how do and can't say I will ever own another, just don't like em. I think they are over priced, over hyped, poor UI, not supported, and lags quickly. Just my 2 cents. Honesty, if my choice was either an iPhone (never had one) or Samsung, I'd probably go with iPhone.
The UI has much improved since the S3

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Not the depth as much as the the entire square footage it takes up on the back. I said square footage because it’s nearly as big as my first apartment after college. Lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
OneUI (TouchWhiz in disguise) is pure trash. The review today cemented it. As long as Samsung sticks with their own bloated trash UI with all of the duplicate Samsung bloatware, it's a hard pass. IfI got one for free, I would just sell it.
OneUI is much improved over TouchWhiz. Prior to OneUi I avoid Samsung like the plague. I used the S10 side by side with the Pixel 3XL and OneUi was just as fluid.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not the depth as much as the the entire square footage it takes up on the back. I said square footage because it’s nearly as big as my first apartment after college. Lol
Yeah...most devices seem to be going that route. I dont like block look of any of the current camera arrays but it's where we are right now.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
OneUI is much improved over TouchWhiz. Prior to OneUi I avoid Samsung like the plague. I used the S10 side by side with the Pixel 3XL and OneUi was just as fluid.

Fluid at first. As the slowing updates pile up on all but three of the Samsuck devices, it slows down, also, the bloat is still there.

Hard pass.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Fluid at first. As the slowing updates pile up on all but three of the Samsuck devices, it slows down, also, the bloat is still there.

Hard pass.

I don't agree with this, my last 2 Samsung devices were just as fluid day 1 as day 300. That's just an old urban legend that refuses to die.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't agree with this, my last 2 Samsung devices were just as fluid day 1 as day 300. That's just an old urban legend that refuses to die.
I will say this much, I used to have a Galaxy s8, My older Galaxy s8 was starting to slow down on Android Oreo 8.0. it wouldn't even be upgradable to 8.1.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
If there's any more motivation to get the s20, this could be the pixel 5: https://www.androidcentral.com/appa...utm_campaign=social&__twitter_impression=true

Nobody does ugly quite like Google...

Could be, but could be two other designs as they said that is 1 of 3 renders they are working on. I haven't seen one ugly Pixel yet, maybe not my favorite but they are very restrained and conservative with design and that's not necessarily a bad thing. If that design is the winner it would be a hard pass for me, that is just not a good look at all.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Could be, but could be two other designs as they said that is 1 of 3 renders they are working on. I haven't seen one ugly Pixel yet, maybe not my favorite but they are very restrained and conservative with design and that's not necessarily a bad thing. If that design is the winner it would be a hard pass for me, that is just not a good look at all.

Yep. Sincerely hope it's not the one picked, but also not very hopeful the other two designs would be much better.

Samsung has out engineered Google in nearly every way with the S20. The regular S20 is smaller in every direction -- width, height, and thickness -- yet manages to get in more cameras, a much larger battery, and only a .1" smaller screen when compared to the Pixel 4 XL.

I don't understand what Google is doing here. They've had four+ years to mature their design, and they're just not goin there. I own the 4 XL and it looks and feels fine, but no question Google can do better in so many areas.

Pixel 5 rumor mill is not off to a promising start.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Hard pass.
I've had the S10+ for almost year. It's as fast as it ever was. What was the last Samsung you owned?

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
My last was the S6. Several friends have had all of them. They're are vary common.

Does it still have the Samsung Bloatware? If yes, then it's a hard pass.

I hate Samsung Messenger. It's ugly. Samsung app, store? No thank you. Samsung music still comes on it? No. The size of one UI is large because of the Bloatware. That's the issue with One UI.

You can put lipstick on the pig, it's still a pig. One UI is just TouchWhiz trying to remove the stank of being TouchWhiz by, calling it a a new name.

No.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress