Pre-ordered a 4a 5G

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I got used to gestures back on BlackBerry10. It's funny how some criticised BlackBerry for the confusing gestures as opposed to buttons, but I feel like BlackBerry's implementation was very elegant and in many ways still better than what iOS or Android can do.
Blackberry definitely had some good features that were underrated for sure I agree..

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
YAAAASSSS! How are you liking it so far?
So far... I'm not sure what word does it justice. I've had some hiccups that I'm still sorting through - I'm still working on getting my cards set up in Google pay, I had some issues getting my maps cached. I think some of that comes from doing a transfer from my old device.

This thing is so light! The speaker on speaker phone is great. The plastic back does feel a little less "premium" , and I've already had an easily-resolved separation issue but I'm still happy with it.

I still have 2 work email accounts to get set up, I can't get an idea of battery life compared to my 2xl until I figure that out (both will want to use the work profile, I'll find out tomorrow if I can have two set up).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So far... I'm not sure what word does it justice. I've had some hiccups that I'm still sorting through - I'm still working on getting my cards set up in Google pay, I had some issues getting my maps cached. I think some of that comes from doing a transfer from my old device.

This thing is so light! The speaker on speaker phone is great. The plastic back does feel a little less "premium" , and I've already had an easily-resolved separation issue but I'm still happy with it.

I still have 2 work email accounts to get set up, I can't get an idea of battery life compared to my 2xl until I figure that out (both will want to use the work profile, I'll find out tomorrow if I can have two set up).

Setting up a new device and figuring out how it will fit into your life are always tedious processes! Let us know how it holds up!

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Crazy good deal at Rogers right now for the 4a and the 4a 5G. $10/month for the 4a over 24 months, $20/month for the 4a 5G and a free Sonos One speaker with either purchase and a plan.

Data prices are pretty good too right now (for Canada prices that is)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Crazy good deal at Rogers right now for the 4a and the 4a 5G. $10/month for the 4a over 24 months, $20/month for the 4a 5G and a free Sonos One speaker with either purchase and a plan.

Data prices are pretty good too right now (for Canada prices that is)

Uh oh, I'm with Rogers... That *does* sound like a pretty good deal.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The phone rep told me the Sonos speaker is going fast.

EDIT: the Pixel 5 is also $20 per month over 24 months.

Thank you for letting me know! Unfortunately this year I am basically using my Black Friday deal searching for others and not for myself! Well, I did get one thing - LOOL. But hopefully when I get the Pixel 5 (if I do, anyway), Rogers will have a good deal on it!

El Squish

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 4a 5g for 2 days now. I upgraded from an OG Pixel XL. I was leaning towards getting the Pixel 5 for $50 off but when Google Fi offered the 4a 5g for $200 off, it was a no brainer, especially since I planned to leave AT&T anyway. $300 for this phone is a ridiculously great deal. I do wish it was a little smaller but I wanted the better battery and camera than the 4a. I also keep using a device as long as I can stand it and wanted the 5g for future proofing.

It's been a very good experience so far but I've run into one annoying thing. I use split screen when I drive to have Waze at the top of my screen for navigation and a podcast app in the lower half. Once it's split I slide the center bar down to make Waze use more of the screen than the podcast app. With the 4a 5g I can only have the screen split 50/50. I can't adjust the size at all, it just snaps back to 50/50. Is this a change to Android 11? I'm on the December update. I was largely looking forward to the bigger screen for the extra split screen usage so this is frustrating the hell out of me. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I just tried a couple of apps in split screen and noticed that it only goes in 25% increments.

I've had my 4a 5g for 2 days now. I upgraded from an OG Pixel XL. I was leaning towards getting the Pixel 5 for $50 off but when Google Fi offered the 4a 5g for $200 off, it was a no brainer, especially since I planned to leave AT&T anyway. $300 for this phone is a ridiculously great deal. I do wish it was a little smaller but I wanted the better battery and camera than the 4a. I also keep using a device as long as I can stand it and wanted the 5g for future proofing.

It's been a very good experience so far but I've run into one annoying thing. I use split screen when I drive to have Waze at the top of my screen for navigation and a podcast app in the lower half. Once it's split I slide the center bar down to make Waze use more of the screen than the podcast app. With the 4a 5g I can only have the screen split 50/50. I can't adjust the size at all, it just snaps back to 50/50. Is this a change to Android 11? I'm on the December update. I was largely looking forward to the bigger screen for the extra split screen usage so this is frustrating the hell out of me. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I use split screen when I drive to have Waze at the top of my screen for navigation and a podcast app in the lower half
Curious - why do you need the podcast app on screen all the time? Did you know you can use Android Auto even without an in-car system that supports it? That would give you the ability to have Waze full-screen, move to the podcast app for controls if needed then return to Waze without losing your in-progress navigation.

El Squish

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I just tried a couple of apps in split screen and noticed that it only goes in 25% increments.

Yeah, that's what I expect it to do but now it won't even do that. It just stays at 50/50. Are you on the latest version of the OS? Thanks for checking that, btw. I can't find any reference to this problem online.

Last edited:

El Squish

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Curious - why do you need the podcast app on screen all the time? Did you know you can use Android Auto even without an in-car system that supports it? That would give you the ability to have Waze full-screen, move to the podcast app for controls if needed then return to Waze without losing your in-progress navigation.

I tried Android Auto in the past but didn't like the interface. I should look at it again but regardless I use split screen at other times too and it's not good if Google removed the ability to adjust the amount of screen split.

Last edited:

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the December patch and I have the latest Waze. I just tried it with Waze and the Android Central app. Worked as expected.

Yeah, that's what I expect it to do but now it won't even do that. It just stays at 50/50. Are you on the latest version of the OS? Thanks for checking that, btw. I can't find any reference to this problem online.

El Squish

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the December patch and I have the latest Waze. I just tried it with Waze and the Android Central app. Worked as expected.

OK, that's good news. Just something weird going on with my device. At least that makes me think it's just a bug and not a feature removal. Thanks!