Whats the consensus regarding cases for the 4a? I like this one I found on Amazon but was wondering if I need one at all. Whats the scoop on a bare naked 4a? Comfortably Do-able? Does the back get messed up with finger smudges?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-13-2021 02:03 AM
    Whats the consensus regarding cases for the 4a? I like this one I found on Amazon but was wondering if I need one at all. Whats the scoop on a bare naked 4a? Comfortably Do-able? Does the back get messed up with finger smudges?

https://www.amazon.com/Bellroy-Leath...cUvbUpU6930235
    I've never felt the need to put a case on any of my phones until I got my Pixel 4a. As much as I like the size it always felt like it was going to slip out of my hand. My wife felt the same way about hers as well. After a couple of days of use we decided we needed cases.
    My suggestion is use your phone for a few days and see how you feel about whether you would feel better using it with a case or not.
    Enjoy your Pixel 4a. We love these phones.
    cbreze likes this.
    03-13-2021 02:57 AM
    I bought a caseology case for my 4a 5G. I tried it without but it was rather slippery. I also gorilla glued a popsocket on the back and it is very comfortable.
    cbreze likes this.
    03-13-2021 04:01 AM
    As a rule of thumb, no matter how careful you may be, drops will happen. The question becomes not if it happens, but when, and what kind of surface will it fall upon, and from how high. I simply prefer a case that has edge protection for drops, and has a front lol that prevents the phone from falling directly on its face. Some protection is better than none, speaking from experience. Even my el cheapo Samsung J2 wears protection. My son's didn't, and it looks like it's been through a blender. He learned, and put a case on his new Motorola G Power.
    cbreze and J Dubbs like this.
    03-13-2021 04:48 AM
    I put a case on everything... cheap insurance And if you get bored a case swap can make you feel like you got a new phone....kinda
    cbreze likes this.
    03-13-2021 05:11 AM
    Great input, thanks.
    Looking forward to getting the 4a. Coming from a pixel2. The price and positive reviews is what sold me. That and no more updates on the 2. Years ago when all phones were plastic backed I don’t recall using a case much as they were pretty grippy to hang onto.
    Good to hear what everyone is doing.
    03-13-2021 02:01 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Bellroy-Leath...cUvbUpU6930717
    Out of curiosity did you order the black or blue color? Regardless I congratulate you on an excellent choice of phone! The Pixel 4A and the prior 3A series has further convinced me I no longer need a flagship device. I absolutely love the 4A and have no regrets.

For two weeks I was rocking the phone naked and while I could have kept going like this I chose to get a case primarily because I want a higher value for my phone if I can keep it in mint condition and choose to sell it later. The black version (which I have) does develop smudges from the oil in your hands and I also have a feeling the coating on the plastic would begin to get a shiny look after a long time if rocked naked. The 4A does have some grip but again the oils in your hand can make it slip after a while. It all comes down to your preference and how comfortable you feel needing to replace a device if it got serious damage from a fall or general scratches that are bound to happen. Even if it is made of plastic you might end up dropping the phone on its face or corner of the phone and a case would definitely minimize that damage.

You can always use a dbrand skin if you don't even want a case at all.

If you do opt for using a case I can recommend the below minimal cases.

Very thin case that feels similar to the back of the 4A without smudging. This was the first case I bought:
    https://www.amazon.com/X-level-Googl...cUvbUpU6930717

This is the second case I just bought and have been using for a week just because I wanted to try something different. It's just slightly thicker than my first case but is both aesthetically and physically nicer:
    https://www.amazon.com/Caseology-Vau...cUvbUpU6930717

As for tempered glass protectors this is the one I use because I wanted a protector with a cut out for the front facing camera:
    https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Protec...cUvbUpU6930717

Hope this helps!
    J Dubbs likes this.
    03-15-2021 08:39 PM
    Out of curiosity did you order the black or blue color? Regardless I congratulate you on an excellent choice of phone! The Pixel 4A and the prior 3A series has further convinced me I no longer need a flagship device. I absolutely love the 4A and have no regrets.

For two weeks I was rocking the phone naked and while I could have kept going like this I chose to get a case primarily because I want a higher value for my phone if I can keep it in mint condition and choose to sell it later. The black version (which I have) does develop smudges from the oil in your hands and I also have a feeling the coating on the plastic would begin to get a shiny look after a long time if rocked naked. The 4A does have some grip but again the oils in your hand can make it slip after a while. It all comes down to your preference and how comfortable you feel needing to replace a device if it got serious damage from a fall or general scratches that are bound to happen. Even if it is made of plastic you might end up dropping the phone on its face or corner of the phone and a case would definitely minimize that damage.

You can always use a dbrand skin if you don't even want a case at all.

If you do opt for using a case I can recommend the below minimal cases.

Very thin case that feels similar to the back of the 4A without smudging. This was the first case I bought:
    https://www.amazon.com/X-level-Googl...cUvbUpU6930734

This is the second case I just bought and have been using for a week just because I wanted to try something different. It's just slightly thicker than my first case but is both aesthetically and physically nicer:
    https://www.amazon.com/Caseology-Vau...cUvbUpU6930734

As for tempered glass protectors this is the one I use because I wanted a protector with a cut out for the front facing camera:
    https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Protec...cUvbUpU6930734

Hope this helps!
    I ordered the black as that has always been my preferred color for phones. Glad to hear you like yours so much. I really didn’t read or see anything negative about them. The price point is the clincher.
    I sometimes use my pixel two without a case and it feels very nice in hand but yeah, there is always the drop possibility. I sort of have a thing for very minimal cases made of leather. Like the one in my link. The iPhone also makes an excellent leather case. Very minimal and then it looks good and is grippy. The case in your link is really really minimal almost like a skin. That looks like a good possibility as well.
    I had read from others there was a slight issue of finger grease and smudges on the backside and it looks like you concur with that. I’ll probably go with the leather case for the time being and I actually ordered it so I would have it on hand when the phone gets here.
    Really digging all the positive reviews and this will actually be my first non-flagship phone in quite a number of years. If it works out I would see no need to throw money at a flagship when a mid range works as well. You never know what Google is going to give us though.
    Thanks for your input.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    03-15-2021 09:43 PM
    Maybe post a picture of that leather case! I considered it but thought it a bit too pricey!
    03-15-2021 10:44 PM
    Maybe post a picture of that leather case! I considered it but thought it a bit too pricey!
    There's a link to it in my first post but I'll post a pic in a few days when I get both the case and phone. The reviews were good and all said the quality was top shelf. Apple makes a similar one which I have on my SE20. Minimal and good feeling/looking. Might help make the phone look a little less mid range not that that matters.
    03-15-2021 11:32 PM
    I bought both the Belroy blue leather and Nomad tan leather cases for my pixel 3XL. I haven't had the chance to use them yet but they both seem high quality.... the Nomad is the much pricier case normally, and it does look better made and more durable. I got them both on sale, paid $14.99 for the Nomad and $24.99 for the Belroy I believe. For me nothing beats the feel of leather

You should see my collection of leather jackets.... my wife says I have a problem, she's right... I don't have enough of them
    mustang7757 and cbreze like this.
    03-16-2021 05:14 AM
    That leather case actually went out of stock on Amazon. I didn’t check the bellroy store.
    There were 4 left when I ordered mine. Must be a hot item.
    03-16-2021 01:50 PM
    Received my new 4a this morning and have been setting it up. The problems with a cheaper phone? Nothing!!
    At least nothing I can see. The build quality is top notch, feels great, clicky buttons no mushiness at all. Can’t believe this only costs $350. Speakers sound great, way better than the pixel 5’s I tried out previously and at least as good or better than my pixel 2. The top one is in the smallest little slit of space and it’s amazing me how good it sounds considering how tiny and skinny it is.
    Will be wanting a case on this phone tho, one is coming in another couple of days, hopefully Monday. It’s hard to tell the backside is plastic because it feels so solid. In any case that’s some first impressions from my perspective, glad I decided to retire the 2 and jump on this one.
    03-18-2021 04:31 PM
    I would say as a general precaution, having a case would be a good idea - or a screen protector. It's totally up to you, though! Many Pixel users here decide to use their Pixels case-less.
    03-18-2021 05:46 PM
    I've used some kind of case for the last 10 years. Phones have always been somewhat slippery, but as they got larger it became harder to hold securely. Even the smaller phones of today, like the Pixel 4a, are much larger than 10 years ago.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-19-2021 10:59 AM
    I've used some kind of case for the last 10 years. Phones have always been somewhat slippery, but as they got larger it became harder to hold securely. Even the smaller phones of today, like the Pixel 4a, are much larger than 10 years ago.
    That's true - larger phones seem to be less slippery. Interesting point.
    03-21-2021 01:55 PM
    I was actually trying to say the opposite. Larger phones are harder to hold. To me, even when slippery, a smaller phone is easier to hold since I can wrap my fingers around it.
    03-22-2021 06:46 AM
    I always put a case and screen protector on my phones. It will help prevent a cracked or chipped case or screen, and the case color allows you to add your own taste to your phone.
    Some of the cases offer a better feel and superior grip than the naked phone itself. And with a case you are more confident that it can take a hit. 🎯📱
    Morty2264 and J Dubbs like this.
    03-24-2021 09:21 AM
    The last phone I rocked without a case was the LG G4. The leather back was great for grip. I had the brown leather and the black leather. Since then I've preferred Spigen cases.
    03-24-2021 09:46 AM
    I always put a case and screen protector on my phones. It will help prevent a cracked or chipped case or screen, and the case color allows you to add your own taste to your phone.
    Some of the cases offer a better feel and superior grip than the naked phone itself. And with a case you are more confident that it can take a hit. 🎯📱
    I couldn't have said this better, myself. Great points! I also find that having a case on my phone helps me to get a better grip on it.
    03-24-2021 10:42 AM
    I love the caseology case on my 4a 5G. I stuck a popsocket on with gorilla glue and it is really comfy in my hand.
    Morty2264 and bkdodger2 like this.
    03-24-2021 11:26 AM
    If the side rails aren't slippery, then I won't consider a case. I'll slap a skin on the back for some form of grip. I use a Pixel 4XL, Galaxy Note9, iPhone Xs, OnePlus 7Pro and an LG G8, and the only phone that I have a case on right now is the iPhone Xs. The sides are just too slippery.
    03-24-2021 12:05 PM
    I’m liking the belroy leather shell case I put on my 4a. I generally prefer to go case-less when possible but the 4a was just slippery enough to warrant putting a case on. There is a link above to it on Amazon but they are sold out now so might be popular. While pricey at $40 it is real quality leather and worth it to me. I like the look and feel, very minimal and fits perfect. Also good protection for the camera bump.
    I upgraded from a pixel 2 and am thinking it was a excellent move. Pleased with the 4a.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    03-24-2021 12:18 PM
    I love the caseology case on my 4a 5G. I stuck a popsocket on with gorilla glue and it is really comfy in my hand.
    Caseology is a great company. I've loved all of the cases I got from there.
    gendo667, bkdodger2 and J Dubbs like this.
    03-27-2021 12:28 PM