Question on Verizon version vs Unlocked Pixel 5

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have Verizon and I am thinking of upgrading to the Pixel 5. From everything I see, the same 5g bands are in all versions of the 5g in the US. Is there any reason to buy the "Verizon version" as opposed to just getting the unlocked version? I know the Verizon version will be "UW" certified... but wouldn't the general unlocked version carry the same certification, just without the marketing sticker?

I may drop Verizon at some point in the future, so I don't want to be locked to them if for some reason the Verizon version wouldn't work with other carriers, but I also don't want to buy the unlocked version if it wouldn't currently work on Verizon.

Help??

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have verizon and I am thinking of upgrading to the Pixel 5. From everything I see, the same 5g bands are in all versions of the 5g in the US. Is there any reason to buy the "verizon version" as opposed to just getting the unlocked version? I know the verizon version will be "UW" certified... but wouldnt the general unlocked version carry the same certification, just without the marketing sticker?

I may drop verizon at some point in the future, so I dont want to be locked to them if for some reason the verizon version wouldnt work with other carriers, but I also dont want to buy the unlocked version if it wouldnt currently work on verizon.

Help??

Thanks!
I've been using unlocked phones on Verizon since the Pixel 2XL. There is no difference using unlocked Pixels on Verizon.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been using unlocked phones on Verizon since the Pixel 2XL. There is no difference using unlocked Pixels on Verizon.

But would an unlocked P5 be able to use verizon's UW 5g, or would it not? that's where I am running into the question. It appears that they all have the same antennas, so the answer should be yes. However, what the hell is the point in having a verizon specific version, unless it is 100% marketing, and nothing more.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
But would an unlocked P5 be able to use verizon's UW 5g, or would it not? that's where I am running into the question. It appears that they all have the same antennas, so the answer should be yes. However, what the hell is the point in having a verizon specific version, unless it is 100% marketing, and nothing more.
The unlocked Pixels have the useless mm wave and the main reason the phone is expensive at $700 instead of $600. There is already big controversy going on that Google bent over back the useless US carriers pressure and included mm wave on even the unlocked Pixel 5 which makes the phones expensive.

Basically unlocked model from Google store, Verizon model and all models are same hardware.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...e-5g-on-the-pixel-5-was-a-big-mistake-google/

For the Pixel 4a 5G that's not the case, the unlocked 4a 5G from Google store unlocked doesn't include the mmwave 5G and costs $500 whereas the Verizon version 4a 5G with mmwave costs $600.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The unlocked Pixels have the useless mm wave and the main reason the phone is expensive at $700 instead of $600. There is already big controversy going on that Google bent over back the useless US carriers pressure and included mm wave on even the unlocked Pixel 5 which makes the phones expensive.

Basically unlocked model from Google store, Verizon model and all models are same hardware.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...e-5g-on-the-pixel-5-was-a-big-mistake-google/

For the Pixel 4a 5G that's not the case, the unlocked 4a 5G from Google store unlocked doesn't include the mmwave 5G and costs $500 whereas the Verizon version 4a 5G with mmwave costs $600.

Thanks. Thats exactly what I thought, but wasnt positive. Its frustrating for sure, because I dont live in a market thats going to see mmwave any time soon, so its useless to me, but I just wanted to ensure that it everything was compatible.

appreciate the response.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

It's a safe assumption most US sales of the Pixel are Verizon customers, Verizon heavily promoted the series in the past and very few buy unlocked phones. Although with them selling the unlocked phone internationally without mmWave you've got to wonder why they can't do the same in the US.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
We were having that same conversation in the Samsung s20FE thread , it's hard to say until people get in their hands , and if they have that 5g UW in the area to connect to .

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
That uW of Verizon is like a waste now.. IMO... I will have a new phone before it's useful..

Last edited:

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Thats exactly what I thought, but wasnt positive. Its frustrating for sure, because I dont live in a market thats going to see mmwave any time soon, so its useless to me, but I just wanted to ensure that it everything was compatible.

appreciate the response.
I pre-ordered mine through Verizon not sure itll apply to you but they're doing a trade deal with upgrades. Got 500 for an old turbo 2 I had sitting in a drawer so I end up being 199 out of pocket.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered mine through Verizon not sure itll apply to you but they're doing a trade deal with upgrades. Got 500 for an old turbo 2 I had sitting in a drawer so I end up being 199 out of pocket.
I have a Turbo 2 I'll go try it

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Did you guys see that trade in for current customer... I only see new lines...
I was being sarcastic in my reply. There's no way anyone is getting 500 for a Turbo 2 through Verizon, unless they know each other.
I mean I was offered 122 for my 3XL but I decided to keep it.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I was being sarcastic in my reply. There's no way anyone is getting 500 for a Turbo 2 through Verizon, unless they know each other.

Lmao I wasn’t following the exchange beforehand ...I’m like what !

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
That's what I was thinking but that's what it had said I'll let ya know once it is sent in and everything

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
That's the offer on my account
f1ad20ee3a43eb53d91439acee11fb24.jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If Verizon did the same thing with the 5, you won't be able to unlock the bootloader on the Verizon version (which means, among other things, no rooting and no custom ROMs).