11-10-2020 04:56 PM
70 123
tools
    I'm coming from the P2XL. I've pursued large phones since the huge HTC EVO and then the Note 2. Smaller phones look 'cute' to me. Awh, isn't it adorable?

This P5 has the same size display as my current P2XL, it's just a cute size to hold.

Will I get used to this size or end up with the Note 20 Ultra? I do love Pixels, just wish there was a larger one.
    J Dubbs and Morty2264 like this.
    10-29-2020 07:34 PM
    My wife's Pixel 5 arrived today. Compared to my Pixel 4XL it does look tiny, even though it's not really a lot smaller. It just looks so much smaller at first glance. Maybe that's the problem? We have all grown so used to these "XL" and "Ultra" phones that we forgot what a normal size phone is supposed to be?
    AnnDroid and J Dubbs like this.
    10-29-2020 07:44 PM
    Well, I pre-ordered the sage green Pixel 5! Compared to my Pixel 3 XL, you cannot wait to see the size difference, And all the other hardware differences. AKa 90 Hertz refresh rate for the screen, 8 gigs of RAM, much much improved battery life, and wide angle camera lens etc! Congrats to your wife on having hers arrived today. My Pixel 5 is backwards till December first week. Oh well...
    10-29-2020 08:16 PM
    The aspect ratio would suggest the P5 screen is narrower than the 2XL. Do you notice this, especially with the keyboard?

I'm coming from the P2XL. I've pursued large phones since the huge HTC EVO and then the Note 2. Smaller phones look 'cute' to me. Awh, isn't it adorable?

This P5 has the same size display as my current P2XL, it's just a cute size to hold.

Will I get used to this size or end up with the Note 20 Ultra? I do love Pixels, just wish there was a larger one.
    eric002 likes this.
    10-29-2020 08:30 PM
    The aspect ratio would suggest the P5 screen is narrower than the 2XL. Do you notice this, especially with the keyboard?
    I'm curious of this myself...
    10-29-2020 08:33 PM
    I noticed it when I first powered it up coming from a 2XL. Now one day in, I don't notice it at all. The screen is superior in brightness and color, the 90hz display is buttery smooth, the colors are vibrant, those are the things I noticed and that jump out at me. Not the slightly narrower screen...
    gebco likes this.
    10-29-2020 09:46 PM

Funnily enough, upgrading from the p2 (non-XL) to the p5 I was struck by how similar in size they are, while the increased screen size was a delight!
    AnnDroid likes this.
    10-29-2020 11:41 PM
    You are so right. I'm struggling getting used to the keyboard. It's that tiny feeling again. I swipe to type and I'm getting incorrect words more often.
    Pixelfan56 likes this.
    10-30-2020 05:07 AM
    Google finally got it right. This phone is everything it should be and still has the best camera. I tried to drain the battery yesterday and could not kill it. I made the right decision getting rid of my S20 and coming back to the Pixel
    10-30-2020 06:26 AM
    Google finally got it right. This phone is everything it should be and still has the best camera. I tried to drain the battery yesterday and could not kill it. I made the right decision getting rid of my S20 and coming back to the Pixel
    I'm considering the Note 29 Ultra. I think i remember you having Pixel XLs previously, as opposed to the Pixels. Besides the camera, which the Ultra shouldn't have the same problems the S20 has, why is the P5 good for you?
    10-30-2020 08:30 AM
    Why did you get rid of the S20? Just curious how that was the "right" decision.
    Dont really see any areas the Pixel just clearly makes a case to be that great. (FTR I just point and shoot for pictures, not a photophile)
    10-30-2020 09:15 AM
    I have owned every Nexus and Pixel phone and brought the S20 when I got rid of my 4XL. This phone is the best of all these phones.

Man how I missed the rear finger print sensor, much better than face unlock during covid and the tech for in screen finger print sensor cant touch this.

Size is perfect for one handed use and is smaller and lighter than the S20.

Battery as of today, I have had it off the charger for 8 hours, with 3 hours and 40 minutes on screen time and sitting at 50%, I am being heavy on watching videos etc trying to see if I can kill it before I go to bed.

The speaker is good enough for what I use it for and the under glass speaker is great for phone calls and that about it.

In my opinion, this is one really nice phone and I have yet to find anything not to like, happy to answer any questions.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    10-30-2020 11:12 AM
    I'm considering the Note 29 Ultra. I think i remember you having Pixel XLs previously, as opposed to the Pixels. Besides the camera, which the Ultra shouldn't have the same problems the S20 has, why is the P5 good for you?
    Size, battery, camera, smoothness of screen, screen to body ratio, only thing I am missing is Samsung Pay
    AnnDroid likes this.
    10-30-2020 11:21 AM
    Interesting, I have the S20U and am considering getting the Pixel 5.
    10-30-2020 11:26 AM
    I was wondering about other people's reaction to the screen size too. My wife and I got one and we both came from a Pixel 3 XL. The size difference is definitely recognizable, but I think I'm adjusting to it because I dont feel I miss it too much. Like another poster said, maybe we're so used to a big screen this feels off. The phone so far is great. I love every aspect of it. The battery is $%^& awesome. In regards to the batter, is it still recommended to charge to 80% and start a recharge when it reaches 40%, or is that cycling stuff old news?
    elvee68 likes this.
    10-30-2020 11:58 AM
    Got mine yesterday and the screen is perfect. I've never bought an XL or oversized phone and don't want to. Loving this so far.
    10-30-2020 12:18 PM
    Got mine yesterday and the screen is perfect. I've never bought an XL or oversized phone and don't want to. Loving this so far.
    I was wondering about other people's reaction to the screen size too. My wife and I got one and we both came from a Pixel 3 XL. The size difference is definitely recognizable, but I think I'm adjusting to it because I dont feel I miss it too much. Like another poster said, maybe we're so used to a big screen this feels off. The phone so far is great. I love every aspect of it. The battery is $%^& awesome. In regards to the batter, is it still recommended to charge to 80% and start a recharge when it reaches 40%, or is that cycling stuff old news?
    So so happy to hear that! Can't wait to get mine first week of December! Coming from a Pixel 3 XL!
    10-30-2020 12:22 PM
    I received my Pixel 5 on 10/29 and am returning it 10/30. Very disappointing coming from a Pixel 4 XL owner. Camera isn't noticeably better, battery was getting hot and draining quickly out of the box and definitely not worth the higher price. I was primarily interested in switching due to the re-introduction of biometric unlock vs the facial recognition (due to Covid and wearing a mask all the time) and the upgraded camera but it's certainly not an upgrade and Google has really dropped the ball on this phone imo. I have 2 pixel 2 XL's and a Pixel 4 XL on my plan and have been happy until the 5. Hopefully they'll come up with better hardware/processor soon - or an answer to the facial recognition (it's annoying to have to go through a keyed pass code to unlock while wearing the mask). My experience may be a one-off but I'm not impressed.
    Eggmundo and AnnDroid like this.
    10-30-2020 01:07 PM
    only thing I am missing is Samsung Pay
    Samsung pay isn't as necessary as it was years ago. Google pay should be more than adequate from here on out.
    eric002 likes this.
    10-30-2020 01:17 PM
    Another great thing I noticed was "screen attention" setting. My Pixel 3 XL was running android 11 and didnt have this feature, so I guess its native to later pixels? I love the screen not going dark after a minute of timeout. I realize i could set the timeout longer but this way I dont have to!
    ChuckG73 likes this.
    10-30-2020 01:59 PM
    Another great thing I noticed was "screen attention" setting. My Pixel 3 XL was running android 11 and didnt have this feature, so I guess its native to later pixels? I love the screen not going dark after a minute of timeout. I realize i could set the timeout longer but this way I dont have to!
    Oh, crap, it has that feature? Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you are!! I'm always having to reactivate my screen's brightness and I don't want to have my screen time out for 5 minutes cuz that'll just suck the battery dry! Nice, nice, nice, something else to look forward to!
    10-30-2020 02:10 PM
    Samsung pay isn't as necessary as it was years ago. Google pay should be more than adequate from here on out.
    I agree excepy my bank still is not on Google Pay, dang you SunTrust/Truist
    10-30-2020 02:16 PM

I have the N20 Ultra and this thing is like holding a ham sandwich to your ear. One handed operation is not user friendly.
    J Dubbs and k2ldc10 like this.
    10-30-2020 02:38 PM
    I have the N20 Ultra and this thing is like holding a ham sandwich to your ear. One handed operation is not user friendly.
    That is flat azz funny!
    J Dubbs, k2ldc10, ibcop and 1 others like this.
    10-30-2020 02:51 PM
    I am also coming from a S20 and still prefer the pixel. The 90hz is not really noticeable compared to the 120hz of the S20. I'd say that 90hz has 95% the fidelity of 120hz to the naked eye. Also, a lot of reviews kept saying that the back felt like cardboard (negative connotation) but I think it feels more like really smooth stone or matte ceramic. It definitely feels premium in the hand. I usually wear a case, but as far as naked phones go I actually prefer the hand feel of the Pixel 5 over the S20.

These were my only two concerns with leaving my S20...the build quality and downgrade to 90hz. I do not do gaming on my phone so I couldn't care less about the mid range chip in the Pixel 5.

I am a long time google fan. I had every Nexus phone except the last one, the Nexus 5x remake of the original Nexus 5. I left google phones when the Pixel launched and have been on every Galaxy S device since. (I buy a new phone every year). Needless to say, I am SO glad to be back on stock android. All I wanted were symmetrical bezels small-ish bezels and a decent battery. Took you long enough, google.
    dannyro77 likes this.
    10-30-2020 02:55 PM
70 123