So Far, So Good. Only...

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's not really worth getting for us 4 XL owners. The 6 needs to bring back Soli because that has so much potential, and I'm annoyed they dropped it so soon.
I put my sim card back in my 4 XL last night after 8 days with the Pixel 5 and I'm sending the 5 back. Don't get me wrong, the 5 is a nice phone and would be a great upgrade for someone coming from a 2 or maybe even a 3, but for my usage I value the things the 4 XL does well over the things the 5 does well. For me, it mainly came down to screen size and speaker/call quality. I just couldn't get used to the marginally smaller screen and I felt the call quality was pretty poor. I did enjoy the return to a fingerprint scanner, and the battery life was fantastic, but that wasn't enough for me to keep it. If I could get a 4 XL-sized screen with triple camera and rear fingerprint scanner, I'd be 100% on board.

Matt Rhoades1

Nov 10, 2020
Visit site
Coming from the Pixel 4XL, I notice a large difference in battery life. Running my buds all day at work for muaic and I still have 60 percent battery life. My 4XL would be in battery saver mode.
The size is very reasonable even in my Otterbox case. It feels better and less like a brick.
Lastly, I notice it connects to my radio on my motorcycle in seconds. It is much faster than my 4xl. It is also so much louder through my stereo. Perhaps this has to do with new bluetooth technology or... Something.
So far, I am very pleased with my Pixel 5 albeit fingerprint scanner takes a bit to go back too, coming from facial recognition. FR was pretty convinient when I work with gloves on

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hooray! Can't wait to see them!
Haha oh yeah absolutely dude. Can't wait myself!
I put my sim card back in my 4 XL last night after 8 days with the Pixel 5 and I'm sending the 5 back. Don't get me wrong, the 5 is a nice phone and would be a great upgrade for someone coming from a 2 or maybe even a 3, but for my usage I value the things the 4 XL does well over the things the 5 does well. For me, it mainly came down to screen size and speaker/call quality. I just couldn't get used to the marginally smaller screen and I felt the call quality was pretty poor. I did enjoy the return to a fingerprint scanner, and the battery life was fantastic, but that wasn't enough for me to keep it. If I could get a 4 XL-sized screen with triple camera and rear fingerprint scanner, I'd be 100% on board.
Yeah a lot of the tech YouTubers or saying the same thing that if you have a Pixel 4/XL, then upgrade to the 5 may not make sense for you. But if you have an OG pixel/2/3, then the upgrade is well worth it. That's also why I'm excited to get mine in a few weeks! Don't get me wrong, I love my 3XL, but I would love to one-hand the phone safely without feeling like I'm going to drop it (lol) My 3, 420 mAh battery has weekend and it is on the charger all the time. The performance is still very very good for what I do on my phone honestly. like I keep on saying, more RAM and a much bigger capacity battery I'm never going to complain about. Lol. With that being said, everything about the Pixel 5 I'm excited about of course.
Coming from the Pixel 4XL, I notice a large difference in battery life. Running my buds all day at work for muaic and I still have 60 percent battery life. My 4XL would be in battery saver mode.
The size is very reasonable even in my Otterbox case. It feels better and less like a brick.
Lastly, I notice it connects to my radio on my motorcycle in seconds. It is much faster than my 4xl. It is also so much louder through my stereo. Perhaps this has to do with new bluetooth technology or... Something.
So far, I am very pleased with my Pixel 5 albeit fingerprint scanner takes a bit to go back too, coming from facial recognition. FR was pretty convinient when I work with gloves on
Yeah the battery capacity I'm majorly majorly excited about. I mean, I've just gotten used to charging it all the time. And figured that's the way of life, but it really isn't. I want to be able to go along durations without needing a charger. And that's what everyone's saying about the 5, so I'm excited! Also forgot to mention the 90 hz screen haha!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Haha oh yeah absolutely dude. Can't wait myself!Yeah a lot of the tech YouTubers or saying the same thing that if you have a Pixel 4/XL, then upgrade to the 5 may not make sense for you. But if you have an OG pixel/2/3, then the upgrade is well worth it. That's also why I'm excited to get mine in a few weeks! Don't get me wrong, I love my 3XL, but I would love to one-hand the phone safely without feeling like I'm going to drop it (lol) My 3, 420 mAh battery has weekend and it is on the charger all the time. The performance is still very very good for what I do on my phone honestly. like I keep on saying, more RAM and a much bigger capacity battery I'm never going to complain about. Lol. With that being said, everything about the Pixel 5 I'm excited about of course. Yeah the battery capacity I'm majorly majorly excited about. I mean, I've just gotten used to charging it all the time. And figured that's the way of life, but it really isn't. I want to be able to go along durations without needing a charger. And that's what everyone's saying about the 5, so I'm excited! Also forgot to mention the 90 hz screen haha!

I agree with you: a "bigger leap" from a Pixel 2 or 3 would better warrant the upgrade. And the battery life sounds more than decent!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you: a "bigger leap" from a Pixel 2 or 3 would better warrant the upgrade. And the battery life sounds more than decent!
Hey thanks man. Yeah, absolutely. At first, I wasn't going to upgrade immediately but I was going to win my 3XL was fully paid off so I just accelerated the process a little bit lol! I mean for me, my Pixel 3 XL is running just fine of course! No stutters no lags. battery Life completely off the charger isn't outstanding anymore... A slight camera upgrade will be nice, but like I said it's the RAM, and the 90Hz screen, and the battery that really sold me! You're also right though, if you have a Pixel 4/XL, then an upgrade to the 5 might not be worth it. Which is completely understandable.

flumdog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm 5 days into the P5 and I'm on the fence. For me, the sound quality on calls is a potentially fatal issue. I don't care about speaker mode but holding it in phone mode is weird. Coming from a P3 it's the perfect size and I love everything else about it. I did a trial run with an S20 FE and liked it better...except for the size. Oh well.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm 5 days into the P5 and I'm on the fence. For me, the sound quality on calls is a potentially fatal issue. I don't care about speaker mode but holding it in phone mode is weird. Coming from a P3 it's the perfect size and I love everything else about it. I did a trial run with an S20 FE and liked it better...except for the size. Oh well.
I'm sorry, but what do you mean about the sound quality on calls? You mean when holding the phone up to your ear?

flumdog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but what do you mean about the sound quality on calls? You mean when holding the phone up to your ear?

Yes, it's weird when you hold it up to your ear because it sounds buzzy and the whole screen tends to vibrate. In fact, I can feel the vibration through the phone with my hand, even with a case. Pressing it tightly to the ear dampens the vibration, but that's not completely comfortable and it's distracting because the effect really changes depending on how you hold it and makes me reach for the volume rocker. It also seems the ideal listening spot is a little below where a normal speaker would be.

Is it terrible? Not at all. Could I get used to it? Maybe, but having a high quality experience when I'm talking on the phone holding it to my ear is a high priority. Bluetooth solves the issue but there are obviously lots of times when I don't have the headset and just want to pull the phone out of my pocket for a call.

The S20 FE I tried had great sound in every respect but I was used to the smaller size of the P3, and the screen sensitivity on the FE was funky, which is apparently a known problem. (For me, the P5 had a better overall scrolling experience.)

The price seems to be coming down on the original S20 and the size is about right, so maybe I'll give that one a try.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's weird when you hold it up to your ear because it sounds buzzy and the whole screen tends to vibrate. In fact, I can feel the vibration through the phone with my hand, even with a case. Pressing it tightly to the ear dampens the vibration, but that's not completely comfortable and it's distracting because the effect really changes depending on how you hold it and makes me reach for the volume rocker. It also seems the ideal listening spot is a little below where a normal speaker would be.

Is it terrible? Not at all. Could I get used to it? Maybe, but having a high quality experience when I'm talking on the phone holding it to my ear is a high priority. Bluetooth solves the issue but there are obviously lots of times when I don't have the headset and just want to pull the phone out of my pocket for a call.

The S20 FE I tried had great sound in every respect but I was used to the smaller size of the P3, and the screen sensitivity on the FE was funky, which is apparently a known problem. (For me, the P5 had a better overall scrolling experience.)

The price seems to be coming down on the original S20 and the size is about right, so maybe I'll give that one a try.
I'll come okay got you got you. I mean for me, I barely talk on the phone as it is lol, and when I do I'm usually on speaker phone or my pixel buds. I hope you have a good experience with your S20FE though!