So Far, So Good. Only...

maddogmoffit

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
My wife's Pixel 5 arrived today. Compared to my Pixel 4XL it does look tiny, even though it's not really a lot smaller. It just looks so much smaller at first glance. Maybe that's the problem? We have all grown so used to these "XL" and "Ultra" phones that we forgot what a normal size phone is supposed to be?

Really? Who did set the standard for what size a phone should be? I grow up with an Ericofon Cobra, https://images.app.goo.gl/aJj1ruq173pJ7VHKA and my first mobile phone was a Nokia 2110. I remeber when I had my Nokia 8210 and thougt it was a good size, now I have a Huawei P30 pro and is wondering if I should step up in size as my eyesight get worse. There is always a good size for you but that varies with use and time. There is not a normal size.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm trying to call or find out if rhino shield will make a bumper case for the Pixel 5. Tried to call them directly, but of course no one answers saying that they don't have any live over the phone support...

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Really? Who did set the standard for what size a phone should be? I grow up with an Ericofon Cobra, https://images.app.goo.gl/aJj1ruq173pJ7VHKA and my first mobile phone was a Nokia 2110. I remeber when I had my Nokia 8210 and thougt it was a good size, now I have a Huawei P30 pro and is wondering if I should step up in size as my eyesight get worse. There is always a good size for you but that varies with use and time. There is not a normal size.

That's true that your preference for phone sizes may change over time. I used to only by 5-5.5" phones and now I have an S10 which is, what, 6.1" I think? I still prefer smaller phones but I also think I dislike wider phones. So if a phone is a bit larger but not as wide, it still may be easier for me to hold.

tedmingo

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that not having the fastest power hungry SoC and getting this much battery life is awesome. I wish it was a tad bigger but I can live with the size. My biggest disappointment is that it does not use WiFi 6, even though the chip supports it. Wonder why? I really don't care for 5G as it is mostly marketing hype and I use less than 2GB per month from cell towers.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have to say the battery life is absolutely staggering. Where I used to have to charge my 3XL during my workday because it got down to 30% by around 4oclock, I left work yesterday at 7pm with my P5 still at 65%.

The other thing that contradicts what people are saying is the speakers. I was on a call yesterday and coworkers a desk over from me asked why I was using speakerphone on my ear. I said it was the earpiece. They said it was so loud they could hear everything my friend was saying. They joked to take the conversation into another room. On the same situation, notifications are significantly louder on the P5 than were on my 3Xl. Overall Im super happy with what this phone does regarding what I need it to do.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have to say the battery life is absolutely staggering. Where I used to have to charge my 3XL during my workday because it got down to 30% by around 4oclock, I left work yesterday at 7pm with my P5 still at 65%. Thats about 11 hours off the charger.

The other thing that contradicts what people are saying is the speakers. I was on a call yesterday and coworkers a desk over from me asked why I was using speakerphone on my ear. I said it was the earpiece. They said it was so loud they could hear everything my friend was saying. They joked to take the conversation into another room. On the same situation, notifications are significantly louder on the P5 than were on my 3Xl. Overall Im super happy with what this phone does regarding what I need it to do.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
you know, I feel the same exact way. I've noticed between the last six of months with my Pixel 3XL that battery life has degraded. I can't get through a full work day on one charge. I usually leave it on my laptop charging during the day. Which has gone annoying. I cannot wait for the bigger battery in the Pixel 5.

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from the P2XL. I've pursued large phones since the huge HTC EVO and then the Note 2. Smaller phones look 'cute' to me. Awh, isn't it adorable?

This P5 has the same size display as my current P2XL, it's just a cute size to hold.

Will I get used to this size or end up with the Note 20 Ultra? I do love Pixels, just wish there was a larger one.

I agree the screen size is the same, but screen resolution is lower. 2 XL is 2880x1440 versus P5 at 2340x1080. I didn't realize how much that would affect how much information I would see on screen from side to side. The end result is smaller text and changed format of some sites I view. Not sure yet if it will cause me to return the phone.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
you know, I feel the same exact way. I've noticed between the last six of months with my Pixel 3XL that battery life has degraded. I can't get through a full work day on one charge. I usually leave it on my laptop charging during the day. Which has gone annoying. I cannot wait for the bigger battery in the Pixel 5.
That's exactly why I'm upgrading. Very disappointed in how quick the battery degraded. Totally unlike prior phones.

The other thing that contradicts what people are saying is the speakers. I was on a call yesterday and coworkers a desk over from me asked why I was using speakerphone on my ear. I said it was the earpiece. They said it was so loud they could hear everything my friend was saying.
It's encouraging to hear about the volume of the top speaker, but how is the quality when on phone calls?

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It's encouraging to hear about the volume of the top speaker, but how is the quality when on phone calls?

It may be slightly muffled to me but I typically use speakerphone when on calls. Also, I hate talking on the phone so I try to do it as little as possible. That being said, I think Im just going to bite the bullet and pick up a set of Pixel buds and call it a day.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It may be slightly muffled to me but I typically use speakerphone when on calls. Also, I hate talking on the phone so I try to do it as little as possible. That being said, I think Im just going to bite the bullet and pick up a set of Pixel buds and call it a day.
Me too, I'm typically on speakerphone when I'm on phone calls, or my pixel buds for hands-free ease of use talking.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep yep, I totally agree, sounds like a beautiful trade off, and that's why I can't wait for the phone myself!

Yay! I too am tempted by the Pixel 5. We'll see what happens when I can actually get my hands on the demo unit in a store...

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, I sent back the Pixel 5 yesterday. It was just too small. I've been with Nexus/Pixels for so long but just can't take to small phone. I bought a Note 20 Ultra and it felt right the second I held it. Maybe another year for Pixels.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I received my Pixel 5 on 10/29 and am returning it 10/30. Very disappointing coming from a Pixel 4 XL owner. Camera isn't noticeably better, battery was getting hot and draining quickly out of the box and definitely not worth the higher price. I was primarily interested in switching due to the re-introduction of biometric unlock vs the facial recognition (due to Covid and wearing a mask all the time) and the upgraded camera but it's certainly not an upgrade and Google has really dropped the ball on this phone imo. I have 2 pixel 2 XL's and a Pixel 4 XL on my plan and have been happy until the 5. Hopefully they'll come up with better hardware/processor soon - or an answer to the facial recognition (it's annoying to have to go through a keyed pass code to unlock while wearing the mask). My experience may be a one-off but I'm not impressed.
Yeah it's not really worth getting for us 4 XL owners. The 6 needs to bring back Soli because that has so much potential, and I'm annoyed they dropped it so soon.