So Far, So Good. Only...

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Another great thing I noticed was "screen attention" setting. My Pixel 3 XL was running android 11 and didnt have this feature, so I guess its native to later pixels? I love the screen not going dark after a minute of timeout. I realize i could set the timeout longer but this way I dont have to!
Oh, crap, it has that feature? Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you are!! I'm always having to reactivate my screen's brightness and I don't want to have my screen time out for 5 minutes cuz that'll just suck the battery dry! Nice, nice, nice, something else to look forward to!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from the P2XL. I've pursued large phones since the huge HTC EVO and then the Note 2. Smaller phones look 'cute' to me. Awh, isn't it adorable?

This P5 has the same size display as my current P2XL, it's just a cute size to hold.

Will I get used to this size or end up with the Note 20 Ultra? I do love Pixels, just wish there was a larger one.

I have the N20 Ultra and this thing is like holding a ham sandwich to your ear. One handed operation is not user friendly.

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Google finally got it right. This phone is everything it should be and still has the best camera. I tried to drain the battery yesterday and could not kill it. I made the right decision getting rid of my S20 and coming back to the Pixel

I am also coming from a S20 and still prefer the pixel. The 90hz is not really noticeable compared to the 120hz of the S20. I'd say that 90hz has 95% the fidelity of 120hz to the naked eye. Also, a lot of reviews kept saying that the back felt like cardboard (negative connotation) but I think it feels more like really smooth stone or matte ceramic. It definitely feels premium in the hand. I usually wear a case, but as far as naked phones go I actually prefer the hand feel of the Pixel 5 over the S20.

These were my only two concerns with leaving my S20...the build quality and downgrade to 90hz. I do not do gaming on my phone so I couldn't care less about the mid range chip in the Pixel 5.

I am a long time google fan. I had every Nexus phone except the last one, the Nexus 5x remake of the original Nexus 5. I left google phones when the Pixel launched and have been on every Galaxy S device since. (I buy a new phone every year). Needless to say, I am SO glad to be back on stock android. All I wanted were symmetrical bezels small-ish bezels and a decent battery. Took you long enough, google.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am also coming from a S20 and still prefer the pixel. The 90hz is not really noticeable compared to the 120hz of the S20. I'd say that 90hz has 95% the fidelity of 120hz to the naked eye. Also, a lot of reviews kept saying that the back felt like cardboard (negative connotation) but I think it feels more like really smooth stone or matte ceramic. It definitely feels premium in the hand. I actually prefer it over the S20.

These were my only two concerns with leaving my S20...the build quality and downgrade to 90hz. I do not do gaming on my phone so I couldn't care less about the mid range chip in the Pixel 5.
Awesome is awesomeness that sounds good to me!

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I just finished coping over my P2 XL...The only thing that stands out is the back thru a clear case looks like cardboard...I think Ill get another case.(So much for the sage)

Does anyone now where the coil is located? I use a magnet in my case for my car mount and if I can would like to keep it clear of the coil. I may never bother with the wireless charge, but just in case. I do have a couple of charging pads laying around, that I stopped using after either the N5 or N6 which ever had Qi charging.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Another great thing I noticed was "screen attention" setting. My Pixel 3 XL was running android 11 and didnt have this feature, so I guess its native to later pixels? I love the screen not going dark after a minute of timeout. I realize i could set the timeout longer but this way I dont have to!
Whoa! What? Thanks for the tip

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I am also coming from a S20 and still prefer the pixel. The 90hz is not really noticeable compared to the 120hz of the S20. I'd say that 90hz has 95% the fidelity of 120hz to the naked eye. Also, a lot of reviews kept saying that the back felt like cardboard (negative connotation) but I think it feels more like really smooth stone or matte ceramic. It definitely feels premium in the hand. I usually wear a case, but as far as naked phones go I actually prefer the hand feel of the Pixel 5 over the S20.

I am a long time google fan. I had every Nexus phone except the last one, the Nexus 5x remake of the original Nexus 5. I left google phones when the Pixel launched and have been on every Galaxy S device since. (I buy a new phone every year). Needless to say, I am SO glad to be back on stock android. All I wanted were symmetrical bezels small-ish bezels and a decent battery. Took you long enough, google.

I'm one of those that think the back feels like a textured plastic, because it is a textured plastic. Doesn't feel close to stone or ceramic at all - it doesn't use those materials, and doesn't feel like that. I definitely don't think it feels premium. I don't know why they bothered with the aluminium metal build, when they could have just made it all of plastic, saved a bit of coin and it'd feel the same.

The phone feels hollow to me, but I think that's because of the cheaper vibration motor they're using. Previous Pixel's had quite a nice vibration motor when when I'd type, it'd get a really nice 'sharp' vibration when typing. Now it feels more loose.

The more I use the phone, the less I like it to be honest. The only thing it improves on from previous Pixel phones is the better battery life.

MatthewGavin

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I am very impressed with the phone. For me, it is blazing fast and suits my needs perfectly. I didn't know what to expect from the size of the phone. Eugene opened the box, I surprised to see the size was smaller than I thought it would be.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am very impressed with the phone. For me, it is blazing fast and suits my needs perfectly. I didn't know what to expect from the size of the phone. Eugene opened the box, I surprised to see the size was smaller than I thought it would be.
Haha see that's exactly what I want to hear! Lol I can't wait for mine in about a month or so.

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm one of those that think the back feels like a textured plastic, because it is a textured plastic. Doesn't feel close to stone or ceramic at all - it doesn't use those materials, and doesn't feel like that. I definitely don't think it feels premium. I don't know why they bothered with the aluminium metal build, when they could have just made it all of plastic, saved a bit of coin and it'd feel the same.

The phone feels hollow to me, but I think that's because of the cheaper vibration motor they're using. Previous Pixel's had quite a nice vibration motor when when I'd type, it'd get a really nice 'sharp' vibration when typing. Now it feels more loose.

The more I use the phone, the less I like it to be honest. The only thing it improves on from previous Pixel phones is the better battery life.

OK, sure it doesn't actually feel like stone or ceramic but that is in part because it's not cold and dense. Purely from a texture standpoint, it does feel like matte ceramic in my very humble opinion. The comparisons to cardboard paper are harsh and pointless for the 80%+ of people who wear cases on their phones. I agree, the phone does feel hollow...I noticed that if I tap it with my fingernail it has a hollow sound, whereas my S20 felt dense. If the Pixel 5 were more dense, I think it would feel a little more premium, but I just don't think density alone and out of context should be a gauge of build quality or premium feel. Also, it may be covered in plastic, but the frame is aluminum and you can tell. You can also tell it's a little more hollow where the center was cutout for the wireless charger. This does take away from the hand feel.

If you're comparing this to the Pixel 4...yes the vibration motor isn't as good and it doesn't have a "premium" glass build. Compared to my old S20 it's noticably lacking the in-screen fingerprint reader, 120hz, a brighter screen, smaller selfie camera cutout, and the telefoto camera. If you want cutting edge hardware-wise, Galaxy or OnePlus is the way to go. For everyone else I would recommend the Pixel 5.

Honestly, this phone reminds me of the old Nexus 5. It's not quite bare bones, but it's just the essentials of what a phone geek wants/needs at a semi-reasonable price.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

You don't like a phone. What you say I don't find true. The call quality and speaker phone is good, not just adequate. Maybe you did get a bad unit.