Downside of carrier vs unlocked from google

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Besides some carrier bloat. I can get the pixel 6 for free from t-mobile. I'm assuming carrier bloat and maybe a slight delay in updates? Anything else that would be different??

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Actually I think I'm getting the pro. 149 down then I get 140 lump credit and the 760 in bill credits split between 24 months. Comes out to me paying 41 cents a month! I can't pass that up. And that's from trading in my OP 8t+

Correction. I would be paying nothing for it. They are giving me a total of 900 for my OP 8t+

That is crazy

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Actually I think I'm getting the pro. 149 down then I get 140 lump credit and the 760 in bill credits split between 24 months. Comes out to me paying 41 cents a month! I can't pass that up. And that's from trading in my OP 8t+

Correction. I would be paying nothing for it. They are giving me a total of 900 for my OP 8t+

That is crazy
I would jump on that

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Besides some carrier bloat. I can get the pixel 6 for free from t-mobile. I'm assuming carrier bloat and maybe a slight delay in updates? Anything else that would be different??

I would have considered at t-mobile as a 2nd phone but 128GB only...no way I would ever consider a 128GB phone with no SD. With current phone using 150GB so no way I would ration apps like that just to get. Carrier bloat is overblown, how hard to uninstall 3-4 apps???

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I would have considered at t-mobile as a 2nd phone but 128GB only...no way I would ever consider a 128GB phone with no SD. With current phone using 150GB so no way I would ration apps like that just to get. Carrier bloat is overblown, how hard to uninstall 3-4 apps???
You know, I get it. But the chance to unload my OP 8T+ and get a pixel 6 pro with little to no out of pocket, I couldn't pass it up. The 149.99 that I had to put down I get 140.00 credit on my bill and my ongoing bill credit exceeds the device payment by 41 cents a month so that leaves 9.99 + tax+ shipping.

This a secondary phone for me as my Fold³ is my primary so the 128gb is tolerable for me. IF I was paying for it I would have went for either 256 or 512 as that is what I always lean towards.

As for carrier bloat, I was just getting that out in the open before someone responded with that. I can care less as I know it is minimal and either can be disabled, Uninstaller or hidden.

phillymade

Mar 31, 2011
glennsilvasy.blogspot.com
I see why you went this route, it's a hard deal to pass up especially if this is not your daily.

But.....

I made the mistake of getting the TMO variant of the OnePlus 6T when TMO first carried OP. Never again for me. It had features missing that the unlocked variant had and the updates were not as often as the unlocked variant. Ended up flashing it to the unlocked software to get some of the features back and be able to get software updates.

Also as others have mentioned, 128gig is not enough storage, so for these reasons I m out from the TMO variant. I passed on the good deal they have to get the unlocked straight from Google.

This is my experience, I'm sure others will disagree.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
You know, I get it. But the chance to unload my OP 8T+ and get a pixel 6 pro with little to no out of pocket, I couldn't pass it up. The 149.99 that I had to put down I get 140.00 credit on my bill and my ongoing bill credit exceeds the device payment by 41 cents a month so that leaves 9.99 + tax+ shipping.

This a secondary phone for me as my Fold³ is my primary so the 128gb is tolerable for me. IF I was paying for it I would have went for either 256 or 512 as that is what I always lean towards.

As for carrier bloat, I was just getting that out in the open before someone responded with that. I can care less as I know it is minimal and either can be disabled, Uninstaller or hidden.

Oh yeah, agree great deal and I would do same for a 2nd phone as well.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I see why you went this route, it's a hard deal to pass up especially if this is not your daily.

But.....

I made the mistake of getting the TMO variant of the OnePlus 6T when TMO first carried OP. Never again for me. It had features missing that the unlocked variant had and the updates were not as often as the unlocked variant. Ended up flashing it to the unlocked software to get some of the features back and be able to get software updates.

Also as others have mentioned, 128gig is not enough storage, so for these reasons I m out from the TMO variant. I passed on the good deal they have to get the unlocked straight from Google.

This is my experience, I'm sure others will disagree.
Yeah again if this was going to be my primary phone I probably wouldn't but, this will be a toying phone and a phone to use when I don't want to carry my fold³.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah again if this was going to be my primary phone I probably wouldn't but, this will be a toying phone and a phone to use when I don't want to carry my fold³.

Even it was to be your primary phone, that's a killer deal. With how ridiculously expensive phones are these days, I'd do that all day long even as my primary device. If I could get a deal like that and all it meant was that I had to use the cloud storage that I already use, I'd be all over it. Good call.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
there is no TMobile bloat on tmo sold Google devices. never has been.

That is true for the Pixels on Verizon as well. I think my Pixel 3xl came with the Verizon messaging app, which I use, and the My Verizon, which I also use. They are not only available to disable, but you can completely uninstall them. That's the great thing about Pixel... no carrier bloat.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
AT&T (my carrier) doesn't have any good deals unless you upgrade your plan to something more expensive that in the end you won't even take advantage of. Decided to go straight with unlocked. Been doing so for years now.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
For anyone inclined, it's possible to un-install just about any carrier or mfg installed app with ADB

https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/adb

Yeah, it's a bit technical and not for everyone, but an option. Also T-Mobile will unlock any phone after 40 days (I assume they lock Pixels they sell to their network, but I could be wrong). Other than that, you just have to deal with that bright magenta startup screen w/their logo.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
How did you get it for free at tmo? I have the OP8T+ as well and they only offer $450 trade in on both the 6 and 6 Pro.
See attached screenshot of the breakdown
b09f03d9209d3c9cb0757f2ff1bd8933.jpg

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

I believe Oneplus offered two versions, T-Mobile and unlocked. T-Mobile had control over their OP devices on their network. Whereas the international unlocked version was like a google pixel, with updates comming directly from google. So one doesn't ever have to worry about getting a T-Mobile pixel that isn't exactly the same as the one from the google store and that will be locked to t-mobiles update schedule.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888