Preferred Care Option

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Google store is offering preferred Care... $9 monthly or $200 2 years. Curious to see which option you chose and has anyone filed a claim in the past? (If so, how was the experience)

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I never get protection plans but have been lucky since the Nexus 6p. I have had every generation pixel and no issues, however, I have always used cases and screen protectors.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I did not opt for it when ordering and will not opt for it when shipped. If in a year it does not fail chances are good for many more (other than battery). And accident coverage is free with my Visa Platinum card, so long as I pay my phone bill via the same card. Only gives me up to 600 for a replacement if damage, but it's free.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I got the $9/mo plan, since it gives up to 3 years of protection, rather than the 2 years for the $200 one-time payment. I have used it in the past (I think when it was Nexus Protect), which came in handy for my Nexus 6P -- they sent me a replacement quickly when my first one went into bootloop, and then when I cracked that replacement's screen a few months later, they sent me a Pixel XL!

To me, $9/month is totally reasonable for the peace of mind it gives me. I also don't like to use a screen protector, so this gives me extra reassurance.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I got the $9/mo plan, since it gives up to 3 years of protection, rather than the 2 years for the $200 one-time payment. I have used it in the past (I think when it was Nexus Protect), which came in handy for my Nexus 6P -- they sent me a replacement quickly when my first one went into bootloop, and then when I cracked that replacement's screen a few months later, they sent me a Pixel XL!

To me, $9/month is totally reasonable for the peace of mind it gives me. I also don't like to use a screen protector, so this gives me extra reassurance.
I bought the same plan for my P6Pro. I've never bought a protection plan for any of my phones but considering these have glass backs which increases the likelihood of at least one cracked or shattered side and the cost, I thought it would be a good idea. I certainly won't mind if I never have to use it.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
For a front glass it appears to be a twenty minute job to replace. Approx. $180 for the part at this time, includes glass and FPS.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Thank you for this response. So it seems like it's definitely worth it. They took care of you no hassle?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I always get the $9 protection plan. Over the years I've used it several times for accidental damage. Once I even dropped my phone getting into my car and then backed over it, smashing that sucker flat. Each time Google has express shipped a replacement after my phone call and an email showing them a picture of the problem. From my own experience, I wouldn't be without it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I always get the $9 protection plan. Over the years I've used it several times for accidental damage. Once I even dropped my phone getting into my car and then backed over it, smashing that sucker flat. Each time Google has express shipped a replacement after my phone call and an email showing them a picture of the problem. From my own experience, I wouldn't be without it.

Egad, that was adding insult to injury!:'( Did it then get struck by lightning, then get an anvil dropped on it?:p

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I always get AppleCare and now Google Preferred Care. Just the peace of mind is worth it to me.

I totally agree. My Pixel 5 was the first time I got Preferred Care but I have yet to file a claim. I agree with you that the peace of mind is well worth it!