Just went 7 Pro from S22+.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Picked up my 7 pro yesterday. Loving it so far but a few, to be expected, challenges coming from samsung. I forgot how different they are. My last pixel was the pixel 5 and I loved it, except for the size as it was just too small.......and speaker in screen of course. No more bloatware and added "features" I never use. Having trouble with the fingerprint sensor though. It suuuuucks.
I swore off samsung because of their customer support a while ago but went back for some stupid reason. Just the other day my still under warranty galaxy watch 4 bricked because of samsungs software update, as well as many others. Samsung admit the update is bricking watches but yet are still not honoring any warranty. So, *#%@ samsung. I don't know how that can't be illegal, but it is what it is. Sooooo, since the 7 pro was $300 off and already cheaper than the s22+ its replacing I am getting rid of the s22+ and will break even. I have officially broken up with Samsung. Wish the pixel watch had a larger size to go with the 7 pro, but at the same time I don't particularly care for the pixel watch pebble design. Looking at the Mobvoi tickwatch pro or the garmin venu 2 plus.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The S22+ is a great phone. I actually prefer it over the p7 pro and the S22 ultra. I sold the ultra as a result. 7 Pro is also a great phone. But the build and feel in hand of the S22+ is just hard to give up IMO.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
The S22+ is a great phone. I actually prefer it over the p7 pro and the S22 ultra. I sold the ultra as a result. 7 Pro is also a great phone. But the build and feel in hand of the S22+ is just hard to give up IMO.
S22+ my flat screen lover.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Picked up my 7 pro yesterday. Loving it so far but a few, to be expected, challenges coming from samsung. I forgot how different they are. My last pixel was the pixel 5 and I loved it, except for the size as it was just too small.......and speaker in screen of course. No more bloatware and added "features" I never use. Having trouble with the fingerprint sensor though. It suuuuucks.
I swore off samsung because of their customer support a while ago but went back for some stupid reason. Just the other day my still under warranty galaxy watch 4 bricked because of samsungs software update, as well as many others. Samsung admit the update is bricking watches but yet are still not honoring any warranty. So, *#%@ samsung. I don't know how that can't be illegal, but it is what it is. Sooooo, since the 7 pro was $300 off and already cheaper than the s22+ its replacing I am getting rid of the s22+ and will break even. I have officially broken up with Samsung. Wish the pixel watch had a larger size to go with the 7 pro, but at the same time I don't particularly care for the pixel watch pebble design. Looking at the Mobvoi tickwatch pro or the garmin venu 2 plus.

Congratulations on the new phone! I'm really enjoying mine, and can't wait to really put the camera through its paces on my next trip.

If the style of the Pixel Watch is not for you, consider the Fossil Gen 6 or the more recent Fossil Gen 6 Wellness Edition. I have the former, which has a really nice dress watch appearance, and behaves much like the Pixel Watch after the recent Wear OS 3.0 update. The latter also looks pretty snazzy, but as the name implies, is geared more toward the active/athletic type.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I made the same switch. If I would can advise anything, I would tell you to swap the data from the S22 to your pixel then back up all the app information on the pixel and then do a reset. After I did my reset on my I ended a fresh install or backup of all the apps that I had saved. Man the phone is like night and day. I definitely recommend it

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
First 24 hours and going well. Still a learning curve forgetting one UI and used to stock, but enjoying it! It is running great and all set up. Have a clear case on it now but ordered the bellroy as well. Black on my black pixel. Fingerprint sensor improved after a re learn, but still not as good as Samsung's. But what is better, of course, is the camera. No one with children should ever buy a Samsung blur fest camera. With Samsung, 80% of pictures are blurry. With pixel, 80% are clear as a bell. When is the next pixel drop? Anyone know what's coming and\or when?

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
First 24 hours and going well. Still a learning curve forgetting one UI and used to stock, but enjoying it! It is running great and all set up. Have a clear case on it now but ordered the bellroy as well. Black on my black pixel. Fingerprint sensor improved after a re learn, but still not as good as Samsung's. But what is better, of course, is the camera. No one with children should ever buy a Samsung blur fest camera. With Samsung, 80% of pictures are blurry. With pixel, 80% are clear as a bell. When is the next pixel drop? Anyone know what's coming and\or when?
Next is Pixel 7a. Google have two years gap for each flag ship. Hey! We can always try other phones while we wait.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

This article mentions the next Feature Drop is due in December: https://www.phonearena.com/news/feature-drop-to-bring-pixel-7-features-to-pixel-6_id142972

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Congratulations!! My husband loves his 7 Pro. His free Pixel watch will arrive today so that will be fun to set up.

I gave up on Samsung after the S10+. I just have too many issues with the microphones. My S3 had issues and I never had one again till the S10+ and that also has microphone issues.

I prefer the simplicity of the Pixel phone and my 6 Pro is my favourite phone I have owned.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm another S22+ convert to the Pixel 7 Pro. The smoothness of this phone surpasses the S22+ and I couldn't agree more with the superior camera. The lag on the camera was the most annoying part about it for me. Not to mention the horrible battery life on it. I've been on my phone all day from 8am to 5:30pm and it's only at 52%.

The biggest challenge for me is learning the placement of the power and volume buttons. Fps is 90% perfect. I use Smart lock when it's connected to my watch and when I'm at home. So pretty much anytime I have my phone, it's unlocked.

I have the Tab S8, Galaxy watch 5 and Galaxy buds 2. I downloaded the APK for the Galaxy Wearable app and I'll have to manually update the app. Otherwise I lose the noise cancelling features of the Buds 2. I only use my Tablet for watching videos and playing games.

My standard launcher has always been Nova but the swipe up gesture on Nova doesn't take me to the default home screen. I was running the beta so maybe that was the issue. But I went back to the stock Pixel launcher and have been loving using it more and more. I absolutely could not use the stock Samsung launcher.

The only thing I would change on this phone is the placement of the brightness slider.

Zorrak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
P7P coming from a Galaxy S21. So far I like it a lot and I'm trying to give Googles UI a real try... For some reason I thought Googles own UI would have the most customization. Might end up trying Nova Launcher or one of those.

Some things I Don't Like
Can't move/remove the google search bar and as far as I can tell you can't remove, change, or get rid of the date/weather in the top left area? while keeping "At a Glance" on. I added a weather widget so showing the temperature on the homescreen twice seems redundant and a waste of space.
No Double Tap to Wake. Was using Single tap and 1/2 the time I picked up my phone it would trigger.
Also picking up the phone, if I hit the FPS area accidently it shows a message that Replaces where the battery % is so then I either have to wait to see the % or unlock the phone.
Auto Brightness and Night Light are not great. Night Light is hard to read in the dark and I find myself turning the brightness up. Samsungs Auto and Blue Light filter were great. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here
Swiping is still not fixed for me, reminds me of a car with very touchy brakes or gas. At the same time it is very fast. With recent apps up when I try to swipe 1 app over it flies to the end most times.
Speaking of Recent Apps, when you open that, on the bottom there is "Screenshot" and "Select". I really wish this is where "Clear All" would be too instead of having to scroll all the way Left.
My Ear can pull down the notification menu, Plus More! Ridiculous. One day after a call I was walking around with the flashlight on.
Would like to set Holding the Power button for Shutdown/Restart. The only choice is the Assistant.
Rather a flatscreen but for a curved one they did it good.
Expected this but worth mentioning, the S21 screen seems better
Charging is Very slow. I admit I'm not use to this big of a battery either. My Samsung 25W charger will not even activate fast charging. Bought a Google 30W and it charges a little faster on that

Some things I Like
The Standby Battery is fantastic compared to my S21
The Battery life in general is Great
Hold for me and call screening stuff is real nice to have
Finger Print Scan has been good for me not as good as the s21 but I think its fine. Heard a lot saying it was bad. It is annoying to light up a dark room like you have a Flash bang!

this thing is gigantic the regular Pixel 7 is already a good size I wish they stop limiting the smaller phones which are not that small to begin with

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
P7P coming from a Galaxy S21. So far I like it a lot and I'm trying to give Googles UI a real try... For some reason I thought Googles own UI would have the most customization. Might end up trying Nova Launcher or one of those.

Some things I Don't Like
Can't move/remove the google search bar and as far as I can tell you can't remove, change, or get rid of the date/weather in the top left area? while keeping "At a Glance" on. I added a weather widget so showing the temperature on the homescreen twice seems redundant and a waste of space.
No Double Tap to Wake. Was using Single tap and 1/2 the time I picked up my phone it would trigger.
Also picking up the phone, if I hit the FPS area accidently it shows a message that Replaces where the battery % is so then I either have to wait to see the % or unlock the phone.
Auto Brightness and Night Light are not great. Night Light is hard to read in the dark and I find myself turning the brightness up. Samsungs Auto and Blue Light filter were great. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here
Swiping is still not fixed for me, reminds me of a car with very touchy brakes or gas. At the same time it is very fast. With recent apps up when I try to swipe 1 app over it flies to the end most times.
Speaking of Recent Apps, when you open that, on the bottom there is "Screenshot" and "Select". I really wish this is where "Clear All" would be too instead of having to scroll all the way Left.
My Ear can pull down the notification menu, Plus More! Ridiculous. One day after a call I was walking around with the flashlight on.
Would like to set Holding the Power button for Shutdown/Restart. The only choice is the Assistant.
Rather a flatscreen but for a curved one they did it good.
Expected this but worth mentioning, the S21 screen seems better
Charging is Very slow. I admit I'm not use to this big of a battery either. My Samsung 25W charger will not even activate fast charging. Bought a Google 30W and it charges a little faster on that

Some things I Like
The Standby Battery is fantastic compared to my S21
The Battery life in general is Great
Hold for me and call screening stuff is real nice to have
Finger Print Scan has been good for me not as good as the s21 but I think its fine. Heard a lot saying it was bad. It is annoying to light up a dark room like you have a Flash bang!

this thing is gigantic the regular Pixel 7 is already a good size I wish they stop limiting the smaller phones which are not that small to begin with

Yeah, I've never been a really big fan of the Pixel Launcher. I think the inability to get rid of the Google search bar or the At A Glance widget is due to Google trying to promote Google Assistant. I always use Nova Launcher, which gives much more flexibility.

If you don't like the accidental screen wake with the single tap, then it might be worth turning off the Tap to Check Phone feature -- if you're picking up the phone in the first place, it's probably just as easy to hit the Power button, rather than tapping on the screen to wake.

I agree that when Night Light turns on, that combined with Auto Brightness can make it a little dim, so it may require manually turning up the brightness a little. Google might have been tuning it more towards using it in a dimmer environment at night.

I haven't noticed any swiping issues on my 7 Pro -- do you have a screen protector on?

I've occasionally noticed that the screen will turn on if I pull the phone away from my ear only a little -- it does seem a little too responsive in that respect.

If you go to Settings>System>Gestures>Press and Hold Power Button, you can turn the Hold for Assistant toggle off. That makes the long-press of the Power button bring up the Power menu.

Regarding smaller size -- I hope the ASUS Zenfone 9 (which is fairly compact) does really well, which might make Google take notice and consider shrinking down either the non-Pro or "a" series phones.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So glad you are loving your Pixel 7 Pro! What colour did you get? I too am seeing the Black Friday deal of $300 off! It's very difficult to resist!

Hopefully an ensuing update will fix your fingerprint sensor issues. I too have a Pixel 5 and am used to the snappiness of the rear-mounted sensor. Keep us posted!

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only convert. Zorrak, I am using lawn chair 2 launcher. It is a pixel based launcher so it looks the same but also offers all of the customization to remove google search and at a glance etc. Can also use icon packs and some other tidbits. I like the look of the "wide widget" setting that stretches widgets to the edge of screen. Lawn chair 2 is not quite as deep as nova but allows me to keep the pixel feel while still being able to adjust the things stock pixel launcher locks you in to.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I still haven't found a launcher that will allow you to swipe up and return to the default first screen on the launcher.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I still haven't found a launcher that will allow you to swipe up and return to the default first screen on the launcher.

Have you tried Nova?

Under gestures default page
d3d295ae091d7de6f775e5637fd6aa47.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Next is Pixel 7a. Google have two years gap for each flag ship. Hey! We can always try other phones while we wait.

As correctly mentioned above, the flagships come out every year in the fall. The "a" line gets released in the late winter/early spring.

Although I think all companies should stretch out the timeline to every 2 years. It's getting to be kind of silly to release a new phone every year, especially since half the time they're only minor iterations.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried Nova?

Under gestures default page //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221126/d3d295ae091d7de6f775e5637fd6aa47.jpg

I tried that myself, and the Home swipe still only brings me back to the last homescreen I was on. That's the case even if I change to 3 button nav.

If I do a Home swipe gesture a 2nd time, it will sometimes bring me to my default homescreen, but that can be very finicky -- it has to be a very short swipe up from the little bar at the bottom.