Right bud draining faster than left

HighwayBob

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Screenshot_20220801-154919.jpg

This started happening about a week ago and it's really annoying. I can't seem to get through one session at the gym before the right one drains enough to shut down. Any idea about a cause or solution? No other issues with these at all since I got them in 2020.

Thanks!

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
do you use the buds one at a time or both? If one, do you use the right ear more often? If that is the case, it has used more charging cycles. more charging cycles used, the faster it will drain because of age.

HighwayBob

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
I tried a reset and that did nothing.

On the Google support forums it was suggested that I take the left bud out of the case for use first (out of habit I always take the right out first). When I did that the behavior changed and instead of the right bud draining quickly now it's the left doing it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Something wonky is going on, because I just noticed similar behavior with my Pixel Buds 2nd gen, except it's my left bud that's draining quickly (while the right bud is remaining at 100%). I also reset my buds, and it didn't help.

I've also been having more problems recently with the buds connecting even when they're still in the case, which is a problem if I'm trying to use the phone's own earpiece when answering a call. If the buds are actually connected without me being aware, it may seem like no one is on the other end of the call.

I doubt it's an aging battery issue, because I don't use my buds very much.

I sent feedback to Google about this. In the meantime, I wonder if I'll have to bust out the Buds A I just got with my Pixel 6a.

HighwayBob

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm still seeing the same behavior. I posted on the Google support forums and basically got no real information. I notice a difference in charge between left and right of about 25% after 90 minutes of use and the bud removed from the case first is always the one that drains the fastest.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm still seeing the same behavior. I posted on the Google support forums and basically got no real information. I notice a difference in charge between left and right of about 25% after 90 minutes of use and the bud removed from the case first is always the one that drains the fastest.
Contact Google but I'm thinking your going need new buds

HighwayBob

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
I see no obvious way to contact Google for support for something like this other than to use the Pixel buds app developer support contact email listed in the play store.

HighwayBob

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
I am chatting with support now. Not hopeful - whoever I'm dealing with doesn't seem too bright. I'll post an update when done.

HighwayBob

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
She wanted to send me a replacement until I pointed out that they're not under warranty, which she confirmed. Although they wouldn't be able to send a replacement anyway since they no longer have these in stock.

They are giving me Google Store credit and the rep said she can't tell me how much it will be since the request has to go up to a higher tier of support. I'm not expecting much at this point.

I pointed out that the Google support forums have other reports of this problem from users but I have never seen a solution. It can't be related to the battery's ability to hold a charge dur to age since the problem follows whichever bud gets pulled from the case first. No other troubleshooting steps are available.

HighwayBob

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
We'll see. I still have no credit - they are asking me to prove ownership, which I can't sine they were a gift. Now they want me to open the case and take a picture of the markings showing the case number and serial number next to a hand-written piece of paper with the sam info written on it.

I pointed out that I can barely even make out that there are markings inside the case lid and there is no way I have found to photograph the markings - there is very little contrast between the case and the markings and they are positioned in a way that makes it impossible to get a good shot.

I am now waiting for their response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty