Anyone skipping this iteration of Pixel?

fury2g

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I've been going back and forth, back and forth, but have decided to skip the Pixel this year. Anyone else make this decision?
My rational is 100% cost. Maybe i'll pick up one on swappa in a few months.

Anyone else skipping this year's Pixel? Why?

jd78

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I can see how some may not want to be "early adopters" and wait for the second Pixel, but I don't believe the cost factor is going to change. Google will probably continue to sell a flagship quality phone at flagship prices.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can see how some may not want to be "early adopters" and wait for the second Pixel, but I don't believe the cost factor is going to change. Google will probably continue to sell a flagship quality phone at flagship prices.

I am inclined to agree. At least, Google integrated a payment plan.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
yeah, I know a lot of people don't like the pricing, but let's face it, pretty sure if you waited one year the pricing will still be the same. I figured, if I waited, my Nexus 6P will sell for less, plus I won't enjoy the latest google has to offer. To me, it's just opportunity cost, might as well sell my Nexus 6P for more this year, and enjoy the latest tech an year earlier.

so far, from reading the reviews, I believe I made the right decision.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

This. Like anything else tech related, the prices will only come down when all mfg's start to feel slower sales or lack of interest. This year was suppose to be a down year market wise, but seems most are devices are selling really well.

That aside, am waiting for Black Friday. Though doubting Google will be offering much in the way of discounts for something so new. But given the back order time frames that are posted on the forum, another 5 weeks will be right in line.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I am skipping this year not because of cost but because i already own a Nexus 6p. I think my Nexus can hold on for one more year.

I got my wife a pixel which i can play with for a while so i am good with it

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
If someone does not care about warranty then Swappa is a good way to save a few bucks down the road.

I assume Google will keep warranty the way it has been in the past... Original purchaser only which = buy 2nd hand, no warranty..

I am not skipping the Pixel...

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If someone does not care about warranty then Swappa is a good way to save a few bucks down the road.

I assume Google will keep warranty the way it has been in the past... Original purchaser only which = buy 2nd hand, no warranty..

I am not skipping the Pixel...

This actually was not the case if you bought nexus protect with the 5x or 6p. Nexus protect went with the phone, so if it swapped hands the phone would still be covered.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I never buy the add on coverages so no clue about Nexus protect.., If that's the case then ONLY buy used if it has that coverage which would raise the sale price I assume..

Last edited:

fury2g

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I love swappa. I've sold a lot of phones on there. My guess is that after the Pixel is release I may be able to get a 64GB Nexus 6p for around $300 bucks on swappa. :)

mikerelvasr8

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm skipping it. It's too expensive and it's lacking key features its rivals have: wireless charging, waterproofing, expandable storage, ... I know the phone is packing some great features as well as hardware, but you'd expect more from it at that price point

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You know, I hate to bring up the price again but for that price, I just don't feel it has enough features to top what I already have on my S7. Yes, it runs TW but I've lived with TW for a long time now and kinda prefer it to stock android. As long as I can debloat, and I can, stock Android doesn't draw me in anymore as I feel like it lacks features and this version that the pixels are running feels like something different, not basic, but it is very very geared towards the assistant, which I don't want to be forced to use. And no 64GB option just sucks.

jd78

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
You know, I hate to bring up the price again but for that price, I just don't feel it has enough features to top what I already have on my S7. Yes, it runs TW but I've lived with TW for a long time now and kinda prefer it to stock android. As long as I can debloat, and I can, stock Android doesn't draw me in anymore as I feel like it lacks features and this version that the pixels are running feels like something different, not basic, but it is very very geared towards the assistant, which I don't want to be forced to use. And no 64GB option just sucks.

Price may be a valid argument in your scenario, but most people aren't going to switch from one 2016 flagship to another. The price is completely in line with its competition and based on the reviews is a compelling option for someone that has a 1+ year old phone looking to upgrade.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Price may be a valid argument in your scenario, but most people aren't going to switch from one 2016 flagship to another. The price is completely in line with its competition and based on the reviews is a compelling option for someone that has a 1+ year old phone looking to upgrade.

Agreed, not arguing that. Just for me it's not worth it. If I still had my G3, yeah I might be considering the Pixel.

PalakMi

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Way overpriced, going with an axon 7 since it has the best hardware (I don't care about camera quality) and it will have CM official support, and it's daydream capable.
So I'll skip this year's pixels, and see if they get pricing right (and for god sake include ff sprakers in the next time)

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

The competition offers more for that flagship price though.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The competition offers more for that flagship price though.

They also lack more....

1. No direct updates
2. No timely security patches
3. No assistant
4. No unlimited storage of video and photo

The price is either fair for what you get or not depending on the person.. it's easy to skew the argument in either direction....

I think it's fairly priced but that's me...

Tiko7523

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I am skipping but its more due to the fact its not on my carrier (AT&T) I don't see the value of paying $900 for the Pixel XL. When all the other flagships are going to get Android N in the 4th quarter. I think its a great effort tho by Google & i am interested to see how the next one will be hopefully not as dull of a design.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm desperately looking for reasons for not buying it, because of the high price, but there aren't many. It seems like a very good device, alas. :(

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87