Is waterproofing really that important to you?

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
We all want waterproof phones, and some folks are balking at the Pixel due to its lack of water-resistance, but is that feature really that important to you?

If you have a waterproof phone, how many times have you gotten it wet? I get that it's nice to have in case of emergency, but I've had my own phones for 10 years now and have literally never gotten any of them damagingly wet.

Thoughts?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm VERY careful with my phone, so the Pixel not having this feature did not stop me from buying. HOWEVER I really would have been much happier if it DID have it!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Waterproofing wasn't a thing until this year. Never needed it in the past. Don't need it now.

Sad to say but NOTHING is a thing until Apple does it. ;) So many things Android, or BlackBerry or whomever did first, but then years later Apple "invents" it. lol! (Apple fanboys don't hate I have an Iphone 7 Plus!)

HzO and Liquipel have been waterproofing phones since 2012!

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Waterproofing wasn't a thing until this year. Never needed it in the past. Don't need it now.

It wasn't an option until this year. I'd say that in many ways people who paid for accidental coverage would highly value water proofing with the higher cost of this phone. However waterproofing still isn't a replacement for accidental coverage and if you opted for it before you'd probably still want it now, waterproofing or not. Honestly I'd rather have had a more durable polycarbonate body than waterproofing. My Lumia phones and my Nexus 5X have taken a betting and the phone is in excellent condition, I always go caseless. I fear for my Pixel if I keep it. I'm careful with my phones but when you keep one for 1-3 years... Things happen, plus I have 3 dogs and a social life and job that involves techy nerds so my phone is always out.

I don't get why metal and glass are used to make phones "sexy" when people will then just cover them up with ugly cases.

Ryank09

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I try and keep my phone safe, but unfortunately I work at a pool and accidents happen. Its not mandatory but its a nice additional feature

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
only had water insistence once after all these years. so it's not a must for me, but I definitely would love to have the function just in case accident happens.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have never broken a phone via it getting wet, I have however broken a few screens...

So no it is not important to me at all, granted it certainly would have been nice but not in anyway a deal breaker.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
It's like buying a car without air bags. You're OK as long as you don't run into anything.

Phones get dropped and get wet. I agree with many of the reviewers that flagship devices at flagship prices should be on par with water protection.

jd78

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the S7 Edge and the waterproofing is fine, but none of my previous phones had it so it was never an issue. I did take the opportunity to try the S7 Edge at a waterpark, so it allowed me to capture things I would not have previously. Even with a case, the fact that its built it gives better peace of mind. Its not deal breaker for me, but its probably the single biggest thing I think the Pixel is missing.

jd78

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
It's like buying a car without air bags. You're OK as long as you don't run into anything.

Phones get dropped and get wet. I agree with many of the reviewers that flagship devices at flagship prices should be on par with water protection.

While I don't disagree, no reviewer really made it that big of a deal until the iPhone joined the party.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
That's where my argument against practicality falters. If they're going to be charging that much (especially unlocked — holy hell!), then it should absolutely have all the feature of the other phones in its class and price range. To use your analogy, it's like paying for a Bentley, but getting a Mercedes. Almost, but not quite the total package!

May 3, 2015
Visit site
While I don't disagree, no reviewer really made it that big of a deal until the iPhone joined the party.

The galaxy and the iPhone were the first mainstream phone that used weather sealant on components tho. The s5 was "waterproof", but it was just sealed, and annoying. This gen of devices are waterproof without any plugs.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

I get that, but it's like saying it's not an issue until it's an issue. Dumb phones were just fine until the iPhone came out. Standards change over time (hopefully going up). That's a good thing.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I would say there was a good amount of hype around the S7 being water-resistant. Though you are right, and @pkcable said it too — once the iPhone does it, everyone took notice.

It's like that South Park episode. I just wanna run around like "Samsung did it!"

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
in the past waterproofing for me had been an insurance policy on bricking my phone. I had the s5 and liked it at that time because, mainly I could talk in the rain. so if i was on the phone I didnt have to hang up or shelter the phone. As someone who doesnt mind being wet and work outside I also didnt have to worry about the phone getting wet in my pocket.

The bonus was that I could also take pictures in the pool/ocean. WIth the s5 I may have had wet hands but would not have put it underwater to record. When I got the N7 I actually used the spen to record underwater pics and video. Not something I would do all the time, but it does create those family moments that are hard to replace. Pretty exceptional for a phone. Now with my n7 going bye bye seen and my pixel xl on the way, I bet my water sports will be cut off. Which is fine, like I said not soemthing I would have made a habit of.

I am disappointed it is not better, but as was stated, we did not have waterproof phones for years and somehow made it. I like that I can at least feel moisture is not that big of a deal.

Maybe google plans on releasing the hydrophobic coating after the fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38