Fingerprint Scanner--ease of use?

petrosil

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering how people like the location of the fingerprint scanner? Is it easy to find with your finger? I imagine if the phone is sitting face down on the table it would be very convenient to press it as you're picking it up, but what about when pulling it out of your pocket?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Based on my wife's and my experience with it, I think it depends on the size of your hands. We have xl's and my index finger finds it easily and naturally. She's not as happy with the placement because she has to move her finger into an "unnatural" position to hit it. So I really think the best thing to do is head to the store and see how it works for you.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I find it easy to use, but I'm familiar with it being on the Nexus 6P. If you've been using the front-facing fingerprint reader, it may take some getting used to. If you take it out of your pocket, you can just hold the phone in a natural way like you're going to look at something on the screen, and your index finger will be there in the right spot. That's how it works for me.

petrosil

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys, I'm seriously considering the XL and look forward to seeing it in person. I think my hands are large enough to reach it easily. I guess if I put it in my pocket upside down, my index finger could be in an ideal position to press it.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering how people like the location of the fingerprint scanner? Is it easy to find with your finger? I imagine if the phone is sitting face down on the table it would be very convenient to press it as you're picking it up, but what about when pulling it out of your pocket?

I have a 6p and have for a year. It's way better on the back.

JusticeCalibur

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, I'm seriously considering the XL and look forward to seeing it in person. I think my hands are large enough to reach it easily. I guess if I put it in my pocket upside down, my index finger could be in an ideal position to press it.

The regular pixel placement of the finger scanner is perfect for me. Feels very natural.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
My take is that I originally thought that it was much better to have on the back (Nexus 6p). It's where your index finger sort of rests when holding and was normally very natural.

Then I got the one plus 3 with it on the front...and boy is it just so much more versatile on the front. There are more scenarios (all in my opinion) that fair better with it on the front. Pulling out of pocket is just as easy, sitting on the table you can let it sit there and unlock it, sitting in my car mount it's more accessible, I've found that I don't have to shift my hand as much to reach on the front.

I just tried it in a Verizon store earlier today and the phone seemed great. The sensor was fast and accurate, although not as fast at the one plus. It was easy to find as well. Also, the phone looks and feels much better in person than it seems in pictures. Although that huge security lock thingy makes it impossible to tell for sure. But yeah first impressions were great.

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I got my XL in yesterday and I'm still getting used to the fingerprint reader on the back. Honestly, so far, I don't like it all that much, and would prefer it on the front.

If there were other ways to wake the phone, or if there was something like Samsung's Always On Display, then I don't think I'd mind nearly as much. Don't get me wrong, it's not like reaching over to the side button to unlock the phone is a huge chore or anything. But it makes checking the time or looking for email notifications just that much more of an effort.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I came from a nexus 6p where it was in the same location. I really like where it is and it works well for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non