Pixel curved screen and tempered glass problem

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
bestskinsever.com

OK so I put one of these on and hope it looks better when it "cures" because what I have here isn't crystal clear and I'm sure if it looks like this tomorrow it's going to drive me crazy.

Couple hours later it looks much better, it's impressive how it dries out like that. Still doesn't feel nice like tempered glass but this might be the best we can do on this phone.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I have the XL. This product is AMAZING!!!!!! Its perfect.......They give you three, I only need one. Its real glass, not plastic junk.

XL https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5552974

REGULAR PIXEL https://www.amazon.com/3-PACK-Tempe...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5552974

I got the one for the regular Pixel and like Clocks says it does have a small halo, not nearly as big as shown by maxburn, and I can tolerate it for now. I have always used the Mr. Shield products before and they seemed to be sized just right to prevent the halo, but not so on this one.

Alan Westend

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
Just got my Pixel a couple of weeks ago and carefully selected case and hard glass screen protector to preserve my valuable purchase.
The glass screen was dreadful showing a halo all round. The supplier did not quibble and refunded. The carphone warehouse where I got the phone recommended the Zagg so I went and did some research on it. The same problem, there are lots of unhappy people, actually with most of the different brands.
This leads us to the conclusion that the slightly curved edges to the smaller pixel phone are essentially incompatible with a totally flat hardened screen.
Google must have been aware that this would be a problem, so what protection do they recommend. (Glass).

inffy

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Just got my Pixel a couple of weeks ago and carefully selected case and hard glass screen protector to preserve my valuable purchase.
The glass screen was dreadful showing a halo all round. The supplier did not quibble and refunded. The carphone warehouse where I got the phone recommended the Zagg so I went and did some research on it. The same problem, there are lots of unhappy people, actually with most of the different brands.
This leads us to the conclusion that the slightly curved edges to the smaller pixel phone are essentially incompatible with a totally flat hardened screen.
Google must have been aware that this would be a problem, so what protection do they recommend. (Glass).

I just don't get how this is still something new to people. Every device that has these 2.5D screens will have either a HALO, undercutted glass or ones that don't stick well.

There just isn't a single one that would be perfect. I am still waiting Intelliarmor Pro for my Pixel XL but I don't have really high hopes for it. They promise it's perfect but I am not convinced.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I just don't get how this is still something new to people. Every device that has these 2.5D screens will have either a HALO, undercutted glass or ones that don't stick well.

There just isn't a single one that would be perfect. I am still waiting Intelliarmor Pro for my Pixel XL but I don't have really high hopes for it. They promise it's perfect but I am not convinced.

I loved the IntelliArmor Pro for my Nexus 6. About as close to perfection as I could have hoped for.

Orzly just introduced one that looks to be similar in aesthetic (full screen coverage, with a black or white border trim), but with a different approach. Awaiting more feedback on the 'dot matrix grid' before I buy in (some report it diminishing diminish the VR experience a bit).

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I use this glass protector from yootech. It's cheap, comes in a 2 pack, and I don't have any halo effect. It was a touch iffy around the camera up top at first, but I got it to stick down and it's been good for a couple weeks now. There is a slight boarder that's not covered, but I have a small bumper cover that covers most of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5608482

Ordered this as well. I've had other youtech screen protectors and I've always liked them.

slowmyke

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Here's a few shots of the yootech screen protector. I'm using a spigen clear bumper case. Nothing fancy, but the combo of the 2 cost me less than $20 and I've got a spare screen protector to boot.

Edit- can you see all 3 photos? I only see 1, but I'm a relative noob when it comes to posting photos on forums....

Attachments

• 1813.jpg
    1813.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a clear Luvitt case and have ordered the 3 pack screen protectors from eBay. Pictures next week, I have the case but no screen protector yet!

slowmyke

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Yootech looks like it has great coverage (I only see one picture too).

Here's the picture of the coverage at the top of the phone. This is where I initially had an issue getting the edge stuck down fully. I worked at it for a bit and haven't had an issue since.

Attachments

• 1812.jpg
    1812.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 71

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Orzly's full screen protector extends all the way to the edges of the Pixel, not just the lit screen, using an opaque frame to cover the bezels. Early reviewers described it as having the same problem as many of the other products in that the transparent portion was ever so slightly smaller than the screen. They say they have fixed this (from an email I sent to support):

Thank you for your e-mail. It sounds like those reviews are of the earlier screen protector we produced as the one we sell now is a perfect fit and no portion of the viewable screen is blocked.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Prote...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5618096

slowmyke

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Orzly sounds interesting. Post some photos if you get one. I'd be curious to see how well they dealt with the curved edges. If they don't get it exact, I imagine the cover is pretty useless.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Should be here Tuesday. Intelliarmor came out with the same kind of protector too. At least I know that the Orzly has been modified to fit the screen correctly.

They told me that only the opaque portion of the protector has adhesive and that its edges have a slight curve.

The only other detail is that there are "dots" under the clear part to keep the protector from direct contact with the screen. Something about improved visibility. Reviews say they are unnoticable except when using VR headsets......

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Should be here Tuesday. Intelliarmor came out with the same kind of protector too. At least I know that the Orzly has been modified to fit the screen correctly.

They told me that only the opaque portion of the protector has adhesive and that its edges have a slight curve.

The only other detail is that there are "dots" under the clear part to keep the protector from direct contact with the screen. Something about improved visibility. Reviews say they are unnoticable except when using VR headsets......

It came today. Despite the email assuring me that they had resized the transparent portion of the glass to fit the viewable screen, it was too narrow by at least a millimeter. Literally 3/4 of the distance from the menu clock to the left edge was obscured when the right edge was lined up.

I'm asking the company if I received the older design somehow. Got it through Amazon, which might explain that. Otherwise, stay away. Will update when I hear back.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Orzly's full screen protector extends all the way to the edges of the Pixel, not just the lit screen, using an opaque frame to cover the bezels. Early reviewers described it as having the same problem as many of the other products in that the transparent portion was ever so slightly smaller than the screen. They say they have fixed this (from an email I sent to support):

Thank you for your e-mail. It sounds like those reviews are of the earlier screen protector we produced as the one we sell now is a perfect fit and no portion of the viewable screen is blocked.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Prote...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5619839

It came today.

WARNING: Still too narrow. Almost 3/4 of the screen to the left of the menu clock was obscured when the right side border was lined up with that edge of the screen.

I'm asking the company to comment as to whether I might have gotten an original unit. Otherwise, this protector is essentially worthless.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a Tech Armor wet apply one on mine, and it stuck down just fine. I haven't tried a TG one though. It definitely doesn't feel as good as TG

Bonnie Moore1

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone else has given you guys a solution yet, but Zagg came out with a tempered glass screen protector that feels and looks magnificent. Only a few months late, but ya know.