Camera vs Google Camera apps

venture996

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that I have two camera apps on my phone, Camera (which I think is the Pixel camera app) and Google Camera (not sure if I have that because I used it on my old phone, or if it also cam on my Pixel XL). Can anyone recommend which one works best with our Pixels?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
When I set up my Pixel XL, I deliberately did so as a "new" phone and did not allow it to automatically import settings or apps from my Nexus 6P. I have only the "Camera" app so my guess is that that is the the one that is designed for Pixel and I have no doubt it will work better than any other.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's an oddity... the Pixel's stock camera is the Google Camera... the same app, lock stock and barrel, that they stuff on the 6P and 5X.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That's an oddity... the Pixel's stock camera is the Google Camera... the same app, lock stock and barrel, that they stuff on the 6P and 5X.

There is nothing on my Pixel XL called "Google Camera". My camera app is as below:

Screenshot_20161209-113013.jpg

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing on my Pixel XL called "Google Camera". My camera app is as below:

That's the Google Camera.... they just call it 'Camera' (no Google, like their other apps). By the way, version 4.2.035 should be dropping soon... just some bug fixes. I got it on my 6P this morning.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Check in your installed play store apps. It's the Google camera.

I assure you, I have nothing called "Google Camera".

I have the one above, plus Camera Zoom FX and Manual Camera, both of which I installed for unusual features of which I occasionally have need.

I wouldn't be surprised if those of you who do have "Google Camera" updated from a previous phone and that app came over with your old apps. As I said above, I deliberately did not do that when I got the Pixel XL because I did not want non-compatible apps finding there way onto my new phone.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I assure you, I have nothing called "Google Camera".

I have the one above, plus Camera Zoom FX and Manual Camera, both of which I installed for unusual features of which I occasionally have need.

I wouldn't be surprised if those of you who do have "Google Camera" updated from a previous phone and that app came over with your old apps. As I said above, I deliberately did not do that when I got the Pixel XL because I did not want non-compatible apps finding there way onto my new phone.

The camera app that you have installed... the stock, system camera app... that is the Google Camera. If you have a Nexus or a Pixel, that's your stock camera app, no exceptions. It just shows up as plain old "Camera" in the app list. But if you look at the package name, or the backend entry on the Play Store when it updates.... that's the Google Camera.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The camera app that you have installed... the stock, system camera app... that is the Google Camera. If you have a Nexus or a Pixel, that's your stock camera app, no exceptions. It just shows up as plain old "Camera" in the app list. But if you look at the package name, or the backend entry on the Play Store when it updates.... that's the Google Camera.

Yeah, that's all well and good - but the original poster seems to have two separate apps, "Camera" and "Google Camera".

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that I have two camera apps on my phone, Camera (which I think is the Pixel camera app) and Google Camera (not sure if I have that because I used it on my old phone, or if it also cam on my Pixel XL). Can anyone recommend which one works best with our Pixels?

Can you go into the App Settings and get some more information? As I mentioned before, the 'real' Google Camera won't come out and call itself that anywhere on the phone.