Navigation bar Burn-in

mwest316

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have owned my Pixel XL since November, and have burn in from nav-bar. As in, when on a gray screen, white screen or even my lock screen can see the shadow of where the nav-bar was. It has lightly been brought up here and there, I tried the amoled burn in app but that doesn't really do anything. How can I make this go away? I tried to ignore it, but once you see it.. It would be like if I had a hairline crack in the screen or piece of dust or hair under my glass protector, it just doesn't go away.. I really don't want to switch to Nova, or use the navbar app to change colors etc, I want to keep this stock pixel launcher as long as possible, because more and more icons are now becoming circular from their developers. I guess I just haven't used amoled in so long because I went over to Iphone for 2 years, and before that I had an LG G5 that never had this problem, I didn't realize the burn in would show within a few months. Yes I keep my screen bright, and no I don't use adaptive brightness. I like my screen to be bright, and maybe that is the reason, but you would think that a 900 dollar phone would have been better prepared for burn in? Other than this, my Pixel XL has been flawless, and the best Android experience I have ever had.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have owned my Pixel XL since November, and have burn in from nav-bar. As in, when on a gray screen, white screen or even my lock screen can see the shadow of where the nav-bar was. It has lightly been brought up here and there, I tried the amoled burn in app but that doesn't really do anything. How can I make this go away? I tried to ignore it, but once you see it.. It would be like if I had a hairline crack in the screen or piece of dust or hair under my glass protector, it just doesn't go away.. I really don't want to switch to Nova, or use the navbar app to change colors etc, I want to keep this stock pixel launcher as long as possible, because more and more icons are now becoming circular from their developers. I guess I just haven't used amoled in so long because I went over to Iphone for 2 years, and before that I had an LG G5 that never had this problem, I didn't realize the burn in would show within a few months. Yes I keep my screen bright, and no I don't use adaptive brightness. I like my screen to be bright, and maybe that is the reason, but you would think that a 900 dollar phone would have been better prepared for burn in? Other than this, my Pixel XL has been flawless, and the best Android experience I have ever had.
Wow that is inexcusable. Have you contacted Google about this? Their customer service live chat is great. Tell them your issue and they will have you send the phone to them and send out a new phone to you. Question is will this happen to the new pixel? That's a big issue!

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
That's insane. I keep my brightness at about 1/4 max and I keep adaptive brightness on. I hardly ever use my phone in bright areas such as outside so I keep everything low. I would suggest contacting Google or Verizon, if you have them as a carrier, and get a warranty replacement.

mwest316

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried the GMD Immersive yet, I might have to do so. I compared with my son's Google Pixel XL that he got for christmas and definitely burn in on my end, he has same settings as me as far as brightness with no issues.. bummer

mwest316

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Verizon support, they had me download the verizon tech coach app so they could scan my phone, obviously to make sure it was not rooted i am guessing? The only bummer is, before they can issue a replacement I have to factory wipe my phone so they can ping it as he said to make sure it was 100 % working condition. The good part is, they have 73 128 gb Pixel xl's in stock for warranty issues and can have me one at my address Tuesday, then I mail this one back to them. (Crazy that they have that many in stock, and people are still waiting for their Pixel XL to arrive, but maybe these are all refurbished?) I paid for navbar pro and have been using that all day, but if I get on a grey or white screen on my phone I can clearly not only see the navbar burn in, but the status bar as well. There is also a strange shadow effect on the left part of the screen going all the way down the phone if I am on a grey backdrop like IMDB app uses. I better go ahead and do this replacement before it gets worse.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That's the downside of AMOLED, screen brightness at max, and burn in will happen very quick. I have the 6P with no burn in but brightness was low. I never needed it that bright for indoors.

mwest316

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Lesson learned for sure. I will be using lower brightness with auto brightness enabled and more than likely the immersion mode ap after I get my replacement in..I have just always been used to using a bright screen unfortunately

thecarp1975

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a screen burn in utility run automatically for 90 minutes every night while sleeping. I don't have ANY burn in and have had my phone since Oct and I keep my brightness at 60% or higher.

Mungus99

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Burn in here too. Went thru the Google chat RMA setup. Because I bought it from a VZW retailer, my only​ eligible for standard replacement. There's no way I can be without a phone for work. Had them cancel the RMA

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Utilities that supposedly fix burn in are snake oil. An AMOLED display 'burns in' when pixels begin to degrade and lose their ability to produce light. Typically, this means that the blue pixels dim (blue OLED sites have the shortest lifespan).

The only way to 'fix' that would be to disable the pixels that have degraded and then crank the color everywhere else until those degrade to match... Which would be stupid.

Now there is also image retention, which is temporary... And this sort of can be helped by a utility as it usually doesn't show whatever caused the ghost image to begin with (usually the nav bar)

Now, this is just anecdotal of course, but every AMOLED phone I've owned in the last three years showed permanent ghosting of the nav bar... And they showed it early... A couple of weeks. All Samsung sourced displays by the way. But they never got any worse and I could only see it if I went looking for it. After a few months, I sort of expected it on phones and stopped caring.

My 6P that has been in daily use for two years has a little nav burn in that you can only see when playing one of those gray full screen YouTube videos you only watch when you want to see nav bar burn.

My thoughts? Stop looking at full screen videos designed to help you see burn in and enjoy your phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome