What would be worth an upgrade?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ah no but I see how that could be what you thought. The scratches are there because I don't like using cases. Every time I try one it comes off in a day at most. Usually a few hours. And then I'm back to using the phone with no protection.

I actually don't like to use my phones without a case. Sure they look nice without, but most every phone I've had in the past few years have been so slippery that I drop them. And with no case there's no cushion in a drop either, so I don't think I'd ever go careless again. My first few phones had that soft touch material on the back (like the original Incredible and the Rezound from HTC). Those I could get by without a case. But the first phone after I switched from HTC, the Galaxy S3 was slippery as hell and it was always slipping from my hands, so I put them in cases going forward.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't like the dust that gets trapped on the screen when I use cases. It just builds up around the edge of display because it has no where to go

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I noticed when taking my case off to clean phone. I had like a small paint chip in one spot . My phone has always been in a case. I never really been to concerned since I don't sell my old phones when I update. So never thought about getting it replaced for that reason alone. Its been awhile that I known that :)

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I used to upgrade every six months or so. Not that much innovation coming out these days IHMO to pony up $700 or so that often.
I'm fine holding onto my devices for longer periods, maybe 2 years or more. The new phone smell goes away way to quickly and I find myself asking what I could have used that cash for something else.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Got my wife an S8+ over the weekend while hers is being replaced by Google. She HATES it. It's beautiful and so is the UI. They spent a lot of time on the look and feel of it all. But I don't like it either. It's a little convoluted. The truth is, all the Samsung account stuff and proprietary apps get in the way. Hey text messages moved over, but only could be seen in Samsung's messaging app...etc, etc.

She wants the Android experience. NOT the Samsung experience. It's the same argument over and over. Motorola won over many by removing the nonsense and giving people what they wanted. I think Samsung would have almost zero competition if they followed suit

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Got my wife an S8+ over the weekend while hers is being replaced by Google. She HATES it. It's beautiful and so is the UI. They spent a lot of time on the look and feel of it all. But I don't like it either. It's a little convoluted. The truth is, all the Samsung account stuff and proprietary apps get in the way. Hey text messages moved over, but only could be seen in Samsung's messaging app...etc, etc.

She wants the Android experience. NOT the Samsung experience. It's the same argument over and over. Motorola won over many by removing the nonsense and giving people what they wanted. I think Samsung would have almost zero competition if they followed suit

I think it would certainly help. I might even consider it, but my issues with Samsung has been hardware related. Doesn't matter if it's phones, TVs, media players, etc. I've never had one that was working correctly or at all by the first year, many making it just past the warranty period before they died. I love the look of their hardware, but it always seems to let me down. I know plenty of people who have no issues with them, but I and my family haven't had such luck. No one owns anything Samsung anymore because of it. My old LG TV that I bought in 2008 is still going strong, my brother's Samsung TV that he bought within a month of mine had to have a main board replacement a year after he bought it, and then it up and died about 6 months later. I don't know why but we don't have any luck with them. I wish it weren't the case, but I'm not going to keep throwing money away in the hope I get a good one.

lewwill

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
New to this forum, coming from Moto X Pure. Pixel XL 128 Gb on order. My cat dumped a glass of water on my Pure and it is finished. Temporarily using my old Droid Maxx. Looking forward to the Pixel.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
New to this forum, coming from Moto X Pure. Pixel XL 128 Gb on order. My cat dumped a glass of water on my Pure and it is finished. Temporarily using my old Droid Maxx. Looking forward to the Pixel.

I actually miss my Droid Maxx. My nephew has it now. Before one of the updates, I was able to get 2 days of battery life with a decent amount of SOT with that phone. The update knocked about 1/3 of it's battery life out. But it still wasn't bad, just not as good as it originally was. I think the combination of the large battery and 720p resolution made it's battery life possible. I wish these companies would make display resolution user selectable, similar to what they do on PCs and laptops. Keep it at 720 or 1080 most of the time, and ramp it up for something like VR.