September security

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I just did a search for update on my XL yesterday and it pulled up the Sept security update.took forever to install the 50+ MB for some reason .. I haven't done a full app by app factory reset since long before 8.0 so waiting till I must do it and then try and remember all my passwords or change most of them

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Never could get it. Had to side load it when Google posted the OTA.

i say this all the time and most get the update this way.
before checking for update connect to wifi and put your phone on charge.

google initially release the update to be only dowloaded via wifi.
its only after 2 weeks or so they turn the flag off the wifi requirement.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
i say this all the time and most get the update this way.
before checking for update connect to wifi and put your phone on charge.

google initially release the update to be only dowloaded via wifi.
its only after 2 weeks or so they turn the flag off the wifi requirement.

I guess I'm not one of the most. I couldn't tell you my historical record but i got this update, last months security update and Android 8 all without being on a charger or being on WiFi, and there was no delay in getting any of them. I do know that almost all of the updates I've gotten over the past 4 or 5 years have been when I'm not on a charger.
But I would be very interested in seeing your evidence that most get it this way.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have done almost every update there is over the last 5 years or more without being on the charger. It is not required.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
got mine yesterday on my pixel on Sprint. Has someone gotten the September update on Sprint mind sharing the build number?

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Got it 2 days ago and, unfortunately, it didn't make the (very slight but perceivable in comparison to Nougat) stutter go away. Kind of disapointed in that respect.

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm not one of the most. I couldn't tell you my historical record but i got this update, last months security update and Android 8 all without being on a charger or being on WiFi, and there was no delay in getting any of them. I do know that almost all of the updates I've gotten over the past 4 or 5 years have been when I'm not on a charger.
But I would be very interested in seeing your evidence that most get it this way.

Never got an update while on a charger. On Project Fi. Thinking of moving to Cricket and hoping the updates are regular with them.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You guys are lucky (and smart to buy pixel). I'll be lucky to get the September security update on my LG V20 by Valentines day. In the meanwhile my Android 2 watch gathers dust. It's also dangerous to make phone calls in the car now since I **** bluetooth off.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

try it on your next security update. if u are above 80% u might still get it the charging require,ment is assuming that many might be below 80%

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
try it on your next security update. if u are above 80% u might still get it the charging require,ment is assuming that many might be below 80%

I can tell you for a fact that for September i was at 34%. I know because i had used my phone a lot more than i normally do that day and when i noticed it I thought about not taking the update because it was going to be a while until i could charge my phone and i didn't want to end up with a dead battery.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Not to mention that your whole idea of needed to be on WiFi and on a charger revolves around Google's servers knowing the level of your battery's charge, if you're on a charger, and whether or not you're on WiFi. If Google was collecting that information do you really think no one would know or that the entire internet wouldn't be absolutely revolting over it?