No MMS on Cricket after upgrading to 8.1

Oct 31, 2017
Visit site
My MMS has now stopped working since upgrading to 8.1. I have attempted to restore to default but that doesn't seem to help any. I have also attempted Textra, same problem, and checked the APN settings on multiple sites but also no changes in the stuck MMS messages I have hanging out.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Thanks in advance.

Rodawg71

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
My MMS has now stopped working since upgrading to 8.1. I have attempted to restore to default but that doesn't seem to help any. I have also attempted Textra, same problem, and checked the APN settings on multiple sites but also no changes in the stuck MMS messages I have hanging out.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Thanks in advance.
In the APN settings, scroll down to MMS Port and see if you have 80 there...

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Completely power down the phone (hold power switch until you get a menu, then power off). Remove from case if necessary, then open the SIM door and remove the SIM and put it aside. Power the phone back up, wait for it to come completely up, unlock with your PIN, then shut down completely again by holding the power switch and choosing the appropriate menu item. Once it's shut down completely, reinsert the SIM, put the case back on, power it up. If that doesn't fix it, there's a good chance that Cricket needs to give you a new SIM. In some areas they just give it to you, other areas they charge $10, there's no rhyme nor reason to it. Hopefully it doesn't come to replacing it, usually the remove, reboot, reinsert, reboot trick works.
Good luck!

gyoung345

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue with 8.1.0 beta and ended up wiping my phone and going back to 8.0.0. I just got the notification for the official 8.1.0 update on my Pixel XL and updated, figuring that the issue would have been fixed. It wasn't.

I can no longer get MMS to work. Messages to multiple parties or images will fail when sending. I did find a thread that stated that the system would add an APN entry to the phone. There are 2 APN entries every time the phone reboots. The only difference is that one has an MMS Proxy and one does not. The MMS proxy is the correct one. However selecting that entry does not enable MMS. You have to delete the APN entry with no MMS proxy before MMS will work.

Unfortunately, every time you reboot the phone the APN entry returns and MMS no longer works. Deleting the APN entry with no MMS proxy once again fixes the issue.

Is there a way to prevent the phone from adding this incorrect APN entry?

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
problem solved!
solution: I had 2 APN on the phone. I deleted the one that had nothing listed for MMS and it works again.

To get to the APN: Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Network (it will say Cricket below it) > Advanced > Access Point Names

Last edited:

BAWILLIS

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site
FOUND SOLUTION...

I tried deleting the extra APN, but once you reboot, you'll be right back where you started. The additional APN gets added back.

This problem essentially comes down to which party is responsible for the APN settings that are auto-loaded into the phone...google or cricket.

I contacted google support and they stated that this is a carrier issue. (Which makes sense, because how would google know what the carrier specific apn settings would need to be?) So I contacted Cricket, they wouldn't listen to me.

What I figured out by looking at another 8.1 pixel xl that had Straight Talk as a carrier was that there were also 2 APN's. Only, this device worked without any issues.

Upon closer inspection, one APN was specifically for IP4(inactive) and one was specifically for IP4/IP6(active). The IP4 one was missing entries for mms proxy and mms port. So I added those in and saved. Even though the IP4 was inactive...its missing entries were causing issues. But after adding the mms proxy and port back in, everything worked. I rebooted and the settings stayed in place.

That's the only long-term work around I've found so far.

But I'm pretty sure Cricket needs to fix the auto APN settings that it sending out to the phones.

iJed DV

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
FOUND SOLUTION...

I tried deleting the extra APN, but once you reboot, you'll be right back where you started. The additional APN gets added back.

This problem essentially comes down to which party is responsible for the APN settings that are auto-loaded into the phone...google or cricket.

I contacted google support and they stated that this is a carrier issue. (Which makes sense, because how would google know what the carrier specific apn settings would need to be?) So I contacted Cricket, they wouldn't listen to me.

What I figured out by looking at another 8.1 pixel xl that had Straight Talk as a carrier was that there were also 2 APN's. Only, this device worked without any issues.

Upon closer inspection, one APN was specifically for IP4(inactive) and one was specifically for IP4/IP6(active). The IP4 one was missing entries for mms proxy and mms port. So I added those in and saved. Even though the IP4 was inactive...its missing entries were causing issues. But after adding the mms proxy and port back in, everything worked. I rebooted and the settings stayed in place.

That's the only long-term work around I've found so far.

But I'm pretty sure Cricket needs to fix the auto APN settings that it sending out to the phones.

Which do you have selected as active? The IP4 or IP4/IP6?

tcpokim

May 4, 2018
Visit site
Has anyone had success fixing text messages permenantly?? My pixel 2 is a week old and I can't get or send group texts. Except once I got one.... But it was from an iPhone user on ATT... coincidence?! The other dozen or so won't download. I spebt an hour with Google support and 2 hours with cricket support.... They tried updating my apn... All kinds of things. Nothing worked. I tried the IP4/IP6 trick... nothing

Anyone find an answer?!? I hate to return this phone but thankfully at least I have that option for a few more days.

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had success fixing text messages permenantly?? My pixel 2 is a week old and I can't get or send group texts. Except once I got one.... But it was from an iPhone user on ATT... coincidence?! The other dozen or so won't download. I spebt an hour with Google support and 2 hours with cricket support.... They tried updating my apn... All kinds of things. Nothing worked. I tried the IP4/IP6 trick... nothing

Anyone find an answer?!? I hate to return this phone but thankfully at least I have that option for a few more days.

I end up with 2 VPNs and have to delete one every time I reboot. I think it's a Cricket thing and have no idea how to fix it.