Date and time widgets not updating

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Since update to 9, widgets on my Pixel will not show the correct time. I've restarted the phone and uninstalled and reinstalled the widgets and they just don't work. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions appreciated.

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Lol, yes I did. Didn't mean to post twice, thought it didn't go through the first time. I did contact the developer but haven't got any response yet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I deleted that other thread to reduce confusion.

It's not unusual for major system updates to cause problems with existing 3rd party apps, especially if the developer didn't spend time with the Developer Preview version of the OS to iron out any bugs. Hopefully the dev will pay attention here and send out a patch update.

Lance Hollingsworth

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Been on Pie for a couple of days. NONE of my widgets are updating. I have a date and time widget, Dark Sky widget, calendar widget, and Yahoo sports widget. None of them have updated in 3 days. You are not alone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Been on Pie for a couple of days. NONE of my widgets are updating. I have a date and time widget, Dark Sky widget, calendar widget, and Yahoo sports widget. None of them have updated in 3 days. You are not alone.

My Dark Sky widget is updating fine. It could be a data restriction or battery optimization issue. Go to Settings>Apps, select any of those apps, then Data Usage, and make sure background data is turned on. If you have Data Saver turned on, then make sure Unrestricted Data Usage is also turned on. Alternatively, go to the Advanced menu, tap Battery, and make sure its background battery use isn't restricted.

Lance Hollingsworth

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
After I posted yesterday, I thought about battery optimization. I un-optimized the widget apps and rebooted. Worked fine for the rest of the day. I think I'm good to go now.

galaxys4user2

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! My fix was similar:
Settings>>Device Care>>Battery>>find the widget or app you're having issues with>>tap on that app or widget>>disable "Put app to sleep"
It wasn't refreshing because Android was "putting it to sleep immediately when not in use"!!
Thank you again... I wouldn't have found the fix without you mentioning un-optimizing!