Pixel XL Case by Google; height and alternatives

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Never been a fan of cases, but since my new 128 GB XL (expected to arrive tomorrow) cost a small fortune, I figure it's high time I took the plunge.

Browsed third party cases, but I think most of them are ugly, with some sort of terrible design, logo, or ridges on the back. I like the simplicity of the Google-branded case (that's still "Coming Soon"), but reading the specs I see it has a height of 19 mm.

Can this be right? Will this case actually add over a centimeter to the phone's height?

Does anyone have a suggestion for an understated case for my new phone? Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops. Just realized there are two sub-forums and I posted this in the non-XL one. Apologies. (Why two sub-forums? There must be a lot of accessories that'll work for both models or have versions for both models.)

Last edited:

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... Per the specs on the store

Pixel XL
Length: 154.72 mm
Width: 75.74 mm
Height: 7.31 mm at bottom to 8.58 mm at top

Pixel XL Case
Length: 156 mm
Width: 79 mm
Height: 19 mm

I can no more see them making the phone (even with a lip) a full cm thicker than I can see them providing only 0.64mm protection on the top and bottom. Something's screwy with the measurements, and we probably won't really know what to anticipate till someone has the case in hand.

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
The XL and non-XL Google-branded cases are now available (in grey/gray only) through the store. I've ordered a gray one and will report back once I get it.