My Only Disappointment was the presentation itself

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
...was the presentation itself. This is where I, reluctantly, have to concede that no one can touch Apple.

I tuned in hoping to watch a smooth, well thought out presentation. For a big device, and more importantly a brand new iteration of Android, I expected a lot. Maybe too much.

Instead, what I saw was more like a poorly put together high school group project. Firstly, not one of presenters showed any ability work a crowd or display a shred of charisma. They were hesitant, awkward, and seemed to be figuring it out as they went along. The way they continuously "passed the baton" to each other only made things worse. Especially after they started it out with a very well-edited video/commercial, the rest of the presentation seemed especially poor in contrast.

Secondly, and maybe even more importantly, was the venue choice. Tune in to an Apple release - it's a huge, grand auditorium with a massive screen and stage. Like them or not, they really sell you on what they're releasing. Last night looked like an over-packed hotel ballroom with a bed-sheet projector set up. At least from the web feed, it looked sloppy, dull, and uninspired. Was no larger room in Hong Kong available? Did Andy Rubin not want to foot the bill for a nicer place?

This is not to say I'm not happy with the phone. I am, and will likely be buying it day one. But presentations like we saw last night, in my opinion, are a reason, justifiably or not, that put the marketability of Google a step behind Apple.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: My Only Disappointment...

I totally agree. It was....boring. It was exciting, but wasn't.

Then again, consider that they canceled the original version and moved the whole thing to a new country and within a weeks time. It looked and felt thrown together because it was.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

I was embarrassed for the guys when the facial recognition unlock and the quick text didn't work.

The presentation was awkward though. I felt like they stopped for applause and didn't get any too often.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

I was embarrassed for the guys when the facial recognition unlock and the quick text didn't work.

The presentation was awkward though. I felt like they stopped for applause and didn't get any too often.

haha yup, I was totally embarrassed for those guys too. Then again, it possibly the market that they were in. Also, no one clapped during the Motorola RAZR announcement. It was pretty dead quiet too.

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

Completely agree, was having similar thoughts last night during the presentation. I'm happy with the phone and will also be buying it immediately. In fact as soon as it is announced that Verizon is accepting pre-orders I'm going online and securing my phone. The thing is I was already sold before watching the presentation, the only way I wasn't going to buy it was if the phone was shown to not work that well. If I had been just a regular person looking at the presentation to sell me then I probably would have looked elsewhere.

I'm wondering if the postponement and change of venue might have played a part? Even if it did, they still didn't have great people presenting the product and I doubt the changes had an impact on who presented the phone.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it wasn't great. I joined a little late, but it looked like they were starting off the ICS portion with ROBOTO. Really? The first thing they want to show us is a font? And how many times did they practice the facial recognition bit?

Thanks, Robrecht

Laughing Man

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
You have to remember Google is ran by engineers and computer scientists. Their presentations are going be more focused on that than marketing which is what Apple prefers to focus on. Not to mention Apple focuses on one OS or a specific hardware (iPhone, iPad, MacBook). Google is more about Android in general, not necessarily Nexus. Nexus is simply a developer phone that is designed to showcase what they have been working on. Their intended goal was to show off ICS and what developers can begin to do. That's why they talked about APIs.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, it wasn't great. I joined a little late, but it looked like they were starting off the ICS portion with ROBOTO. Really? The first thing they want to show us is a font? And how many times did they practice the facial recognition bit?

Thanks, Robrecht

LOL, yea a font? really? I too was like...okay guys....it's just a font. Who cares, move on..

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, Robrecht

i can just see it now---

a giant picture, in some apple fan site, of Mattais (spelling?) on the giant LED screen with a "sorry didn't recognize you" red bar underneath his face...and then the "FAIL" banner applied over it all.

it was so awkward.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

You have to remember Google is ran by engineers and computer scientists. Their presentations are going be more focused on that than marketing which is what Apple prefers to focus on. Not to mention Apple focuses on one OS or a specific hardware (iPhone, iPad, MacBook). Google is more about Android in general, not necessarily Nexus. Nexus is simply a developer phone that is designed to showcase what they have been working on. Their intended star was to show off ICS and what developers can begin to do.

Yeah, I get that. But at the end of the day they still have to sell phones. There are no excuses. When Apple puts on a show, they really sell you their product. I can't speak for other people, but I really didn't get that from Matias and Co. I know they are innovative guys that have done a lot for the OS, but come on...sell it to me. Put in a little effort.

Laughing Man

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I get that. But at the end of the day they still have to sell phones. There are no excuses. When Apple puts on a show, they really sell you their product. I can't speak for other people, but I really didn't get that from Matias and Co. I know they are innovative guys that have done a lot for the OS, but come on...sell it to me. Put in a little effort.

It's Samsung and the carrier's job to sell the phones. It's up to Google to develop it and provide the tools for developers. Samsung's portion of the presentation was a lot smoother than Google's.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

I am NOT embarrassed that the first 5 rows of seats weren't seeded with Google or Samsung employees. Watching an Apple presentation where they have shills in those rows rip-roaring at every gesture by the Apple presenters is downright silly.

The Samsung/Google was a press release for the press. The press had their hands on their keyboards or camera shutters, not clapping them together.

For those of us that have seen many press releases this seemed more real. More like a normal press release than a religious revival meeting.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

It's Samsung and the carrier's job to sell the phones. It's up to Google to develop it and provide the tools for developers. Samsung's portion of the presentation was a lot smoother than Google's.

Samsung's portion was awful. They told us next to nothing about the phone and then posed for some awkward pictures.

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

I mean I get they are engineers and scientists as well, but these companies are not lacking for money. They can do a better job with marketing the products and hire people that do a little bit better with presentations.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm sure if it was in San Diego as planned, there would have been more people in the audience. There were a lot of people that had already made plans to attend the event in San Diego. Not too many people aren't able to up and jump to Hong Kong on a week's notice. Especially if they already had made prior arrangements.

kev24k

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Apples events feel like cult meetings or religious fanatic ceremonies. People shouldnt jump up and down screaming as if they were a tween at a justin beiber concert just because their cellphone can copy paste. I think its awkward when people are practically crying in the stands because apple introduces a "new" feature.

I dont think anything beyond clapping and thinking "wow thats really cool" is normal behavior for a feature in a cellphone (unless it can cure cancer or similar).

SunSdk1020

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

First the Location looked like a glorified supermarket
Second the screen was horrible and the broadcast. not even HD
Third they had major failures with the Face unlock and the text thing.

Conclusion
Galaxy Nexus is amazing and im getting the first day BUT the keynote was horrible.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

Not to over generalize but from my experience Google SE's are at the top of the EGO pyramid - they smoke their own exhaust and while to some this poor performance might be humbling I somehow doubt these two "GOT IT".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty