Can i charge overnight?

Dcronin05

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I was curious though is it still true that you will shorten your battery life if you leave it plugged in more than it needs?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I was curious though is it still true that you will shorten your battery life if you leave it plugged in more than it needs?

I would think to a certain extent since it charges to 100% then drops to the mid 90s then starts charging to 100%. Though I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to wake up in the middle of the night and unplug your phone. On top of that you will have less life then when you go to use it.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I would think to a certain extent since it charges to 100% then drops to the mid 90s then starts charging to 100%. Though I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to wake up in the middle of the night and unplug your phone. On top of that you will have less life then when you go to use it.

True. And hell, my GN wold drop down 8 percent in only 10 minutes. Not even touching the damn thing.

JStormz

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
If i charge and unplug before bed i lose barely any power, normally at 95% or more in the morning. Although im always within reach of a charger at work so its no big deal to me

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I find charging nexus a royal pain in the azz.. last night plugged into wall outlet phone was at 30% and charging I started Netflix streaming a 2hour movie on 4g my battery died will being on charge that is just wrong.

Dcronin05

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this as well. When I'm in my car I plug my phone in while I'm streaming music and the phone barely stays even. It even discharges a little sometimes.

CELLPFAN

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I just got the impression that all phones will automatically stop charging when hits 100%. Since it stops charging I suppose it will lose some battery somehow.

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I charge mine overnight every night. Did this with every phone I have owned and never had any issues. Phone is fully charged when I get up and lasts all day.

Gasaraki

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that the Nexus doesn't seem to stop charging even when it hit 100%. My Droid X did. The charge symbol would disappear but the Nexus would still have the charging symbol even when at 100% Currently my Droid X battery is like new. I doubt the battery will last as long on my Nexus.

Run L1ke H3LL

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I find charging nexus a royal pain in the azz.. last night plugged into wall outlet phone was at 30% and charging I started Netflix streaming a 2hour movie on 4g my battery died will being on charge that is just wrong.

I've noticed this as well. When I'm in my car I plug my phone in while I'm streaming music and the phone barely stays even. It even discharges a little sometimes.

Are you using the Samsung charger that came with the phone. I remember reading of problems with people using other cables etc.

Jackseric

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
How many amps does the charger you are using put out? The stock GN is a 1amp output. The one that came with my Droid X was 850ma. I've purchased some that range from 500ma (same output as plugging into a computers usb port) all the way up to the 1amp (1,000ma) that the Samsung charger puts out. The lower ones dont put out enough to keep up with charging AND powering things like streaming movies or running navigation. In my experience, anything less than 1amp is unacceptable.

I was excited the other day to see a 2amp charger for the first time. Dont know if thats too much or not, but I see potential there! :)

Jackseric

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and if youre looking for a car charger... those low profile, dual-port Griffen chargers at places like Meijer and Walmart are fantastic! They put out a full 1amp on BOTH usb ports at the same time. Itz incredible for long trips when my wife & I both want to plug in our DXs or GNs.

They're the exact same as the $25-30 Insignia version at Best Buy... but only $13 when labelled with the Griffen Brand. Ive been running one in each of my cars since a week after the DX launched, and have never had an issue with any of them. :)

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

If your using a non-OEM USB cable the phone is going to recognize USB(charging) as if plugged into a computer and not AC(charging) home outlets, cig lighter (DC), etc. thus leading to slower and underpowered charging.

Last edited:

Jackseric

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
If your using a non-OEM USB cable the phone is going to recognize USB(charging) as if plugged into a computer and not AC(charging) home outlets, cig lighter (DC), etc. thus leading to slower and underpowered charging.

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe the cable has much to do with it. I believe the difference is in the power output. 500ma on a usb port. Most of the cables we use are cheap monoprice cables and I have no issues at all. Check the output on the device you're plugging your cable into...

herbmmm

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and if youre looking for a car charger... those low profile, dual-port Griffen chargers at places like Meijer and Walmart are fantastic! They put out a full 1amp on BOTH usb ports at the same time. Itz incredible for long trips when my wife & I both want to plug in our DXs or GNs.

They're the exact same as the $25-30 Insignia version at Best Buy... but only $13 when labelled with the Griffen Brand. Ive been running one in each of my cars since a week after the DX launched, and have never had an issue with any of them. :)

How do I find out how much power my car charger puts out? Its the original shipped with my Droid Incredible.

Jackseric

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
How do I find out how much power my car charger puts out? Its the original shipped with my Droid Incredible.

Most of the chargers I own have it written somewhere on the charger. It'll say something about output. If not, maybe a multimeter would tell you? That makes me wonder if there isn't an app in the market that would tell you... if not, someone should write it & give me some of the money! ;)