2 noob questions

asdf12321

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys.
Please help this total newb out with these 2 qustions. I have a stock, unrooted device if that matters:
1.- I understand the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a slot for an SD card, but instead has a folder called "sdcard" which acts as one, and it's contents are displayed in windows explorer when one conects the phone via USB to a PC. The issue is that not all sub-folders inside my sdcard folder are displayed on my PC: there are a few that seems to be hidden. Can anyone please tell me how to "see" those folder in windows explorer?
2.- Can anyone please tell me how to reboot my phone? I don't mean power cycle nor a data wipe, but the equivalent of taking out and reinserting the battery.
Best regards.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys.
Please help this total newb out with these 2 qustions. I have a stock, unrooted device if that matters:
1.- I understand the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a slot for an SD card, but instead has a folder called "sdcard" which acts as one, and it's contents are displayed in windows explorer when one conects the phone via USB to a PC. The issue is that not all sub-folders inside my sdcard folder are displayed on my PC: there are a few that seems to be hidden. Can anyone please tell me how to "see" those folder in windows explorer?
2.- Can anyone please tell me how to reboot my phone? I don't mean power cycle nor a data wipe, but the equivalent of taking out and reinserting the battery.
Best regards.

(1) Check to see if USB debugging is checked. That'll hide some/all of your folders

(2) You mean pulling the battery out? You can do that. You can also power it off, hold down all volume keys and the power key to get to the bootloader, select reboot with the volume keys, and power it on that way. That should have the same effect IIRC.

stimpy01234

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
(1) Check to see if USB debugging is checked. That'll hide some/all of your folders

(2) You mean pulling the battery out? You can do that. You can also power it off, hold down all volume keys and the power key to get to the bootloader, select reboot with the volume keys, and power it on that way. That should have the same effect IIRC.

If you want to get to the boot loader you need to press all three buttons... the up and down on the volume rocker and the power button

For some reason there is no restart on ICS in stock mode

asdf12321

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a Blackberry background, I'm not used to not rebooting several times a day.
A+ for both your answers. Thank you kindly.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If you want to get to the boot loader you need to press all three buttons... the up and down on the volume rocker and the power button

For some reason there is no restart on ICS in stock mode

Yes. Hence "all volume keys" ;)

Should have made it clearer though.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
OK I'm a noob too, so I just want to make sure I "get" this.

Power off/power on cycle is not a true reboot.(yes/no?)
To do a full reboot: Power off, hold down volume keys+power?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
OK I'm a noob too, so I just want to make sure I "get" this.

Power off/power on cycle is not a true reboot.(yes/no?)
To do a full reboot: Power off, hold down volume keys+power?

Yes. That puts you into the bootloader. Rebooting from there should give you a true reboot. If not, just pull out the battery, wait 30 seconds, put it back in, and reboot.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
OK, so to follow the "noob" thread, how often should i expect to do a complete reboot (restart bootloader, right?) on a Gnex? My old blackberry was a once a day minimum, simply due to very limited memory.

So far its only done a random reboot once, and I do it if I uninstall something (not sure if that's needed or not).

Is a reboot on the Gnex nessisary that often? or only if something crashes or goes wrong?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It depends on your own issues respective of your own device. I love wiping cache and dalvik, and further, I'll battery pull without exercising a lot of patience ;-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

stimpy01234

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
It depends on your own issues respective of your own device. I love wiping cache and dalvik, and further, I'll battery pull without exercising a lot of patience ;-)

Why do you need to boot into the bootloader to complete a full reboot? :confused:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Bc you can't reboot otherwise unless you turn it off and start it? I have no idea I just know what you can do, not why you can or can't do it lol

stimpy01234

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Bc you can't reboot otherwise unless you turn it off and start it? I have no idea I just know what you can do, not why you can or can't do it lol

one of a bunch of stupid things which are missing in ICS ...
:(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo