Wifi calling with T Mobile/ GN

Lemmes Ghost

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Got the Nexus from Google Play store today!

Popped in a T Mobile sim for service.

Anyone know if I can use their wifi calling on this phone or how to set that up?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I wish!
Wifi calling needs baked into the phone OS, and uses closed source stuff hackers and modders can't work on. I'd kill for it on my G Nex, as my dungeon office gets crackly on a call sometimes.

Lemmes Ghost

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
OK, I've read up about possibly using Google Voice and Groove IP to do wifi calling.

The only draw back is while at the office, it's a cave on the inside. Can only get calls on the perimeter. My business associates don't have my google voice # nor is it in our company directory. What I would like is to be able to receive calls to my mobile number using GV and Groove IP to work via wifi.

If I use the call forwarding feature in the Nexus phone app/settings (for all calls) and flip this on to forward to my Google Voice number when I'm in meeting rooms in the center of the office and turn on wifi and get the google voice number to ring to my phone via Groove IP ? (having provisioned to have the GV # forwarded to Google Chat as they instruct)

I'm still a little new so wondered if anyone has tried this.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Got the Nexus from Google Play store today!

Popped in a T Mobile sim for service.

Anyone know if I can use their wifi calling on this phone or how to set that up?

Its not going to happen from T-Mobile. The "T-Mobile WiFi calling" service requires their proprietary app setup, which they will only do for phones they sell directly.

You could use Google voice

Google Voice is not a VOIP service, it is a call forwarding service. The only way to use it for VOIP is to configure it to forward to Google Talk, and use a 3rd party app to intercept it and use on your phone.

OK, I've read up about possibly using Google Voice and Groove IP to do wifi calling.

The only draw back is while at the office, it's a cave on the inside. Can only get calls on the perimeter. My business associates don't have my google voice # nor is it in our company directory. What I would like is to be able to receive calls to my mobile number using GV and Groove IP to work via wifi.

If I use the call forwarding feature in the Nexus phone app/settings (for all calls) and flip this on to forward to my Google Voice number when I'm in meeting rooms in the center of the office and turn on wifi and get the google voice number to ring to my phone via Groove IP ? (having provisioned to have the GV # forwarded to Google Chat as they instruct)

I'm still a little new so wondered if anyone has tried this.

You'd have to set up conditional call forwarding assuming your plan supports it.

pcwizpcwiz

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I miss my WiFi Calling too coming from a T-Mobile SGSII to the GN.

In a pinch you could use Netalk (free app maybe spelled NETTALK) to make free calls over WiFi but it doesn't do anything to allow you to receive incoming calls or texts.

If you are concerned about missing texts or sending outgoing you could use a free service like Pinger or Textfree where you can send/receive texts for free over WIfi to a new free number.

It's funny because on old phones the WiFi calling seemed to be just an app like on my LG G2X but now it's really baked into the OS, but with all these custom ROMS there has to be someone smart enough to figure out how to bake it in.

I also miss the pay service T-Mobile Caller ID where it gives name/number on CID for all calls just like a landline.

anon(1042122)

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Can't we use a different rom on Galaxy Nexus to trick T-Mobile WiFi Calling app to be installed?
I loved my Blackberry when I was overseas and making calls over UMA as if I was still in states.. I could tell everyone "call me on my cell".. Is Galaxy S2 the only option? (It costs $650 while Galaxy Nexus costs only $350)..

I really don't want to use a 3rd Party VOIP or SIP or other stuff.. Plain UMA, turn off Mobile Network and Turn-On WiFi, dial as usual..

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've read several posts where Tmo has recently changed their wifi calling technology. Supposedly now its going to be much easier to port to non tmo branded phones.

anon(1042122)

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Is there a list of all phones that support wifi calling with T-Mobile? Both with and without app. We know that almost all blackberry devices support this. T-Mo website states "Available on select phones" but does not offer a list or compatibility.

Also found this,
List of T-Mobile Phones That Have UMA WiFi Calling - Dead Zones
Smart Wi-Fi : Products : Devices : Smartphones

This is for UMA rather than WiFi calling w/app..

UMA is WiFi calling using an app

IMS (the newer version of WiFi calling) is built into the Android system

wowsher

Jul 5, 2011
www.ordner.us
I think there are actually 3 generations of this the way I understand it:

UMA which is the oldest and the most integrated into the OS allowing 3g/wifi handoff (my blackberry 8220 flip has this)

Wifi calling by kineto (home | Kineto) which is an apk (my g2x has this). No handoff between 3g/wifi the connection will just drop.

IMS which is the next generation they say will/is built into Android

I am hoping this is true so I can get this feature back on my Nexus.

wowsher

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think there are actually 3 generations of this the way I understand it:

UMA which is the oldest and the most integrated into the OS allowing 3g/wifi handoff (my blackberry 8220 flip has this)

Wifi calling by kineto (home | Kineto) which is an apk (my g2x has this). No handoff between 3g/wifi the connection will just drop.

IMS which is the next generation they say will/is built into Android

I am hoping this is true so I can get this feature back on my Nexus.

wowsher

The Kineto app is what enables UMA, so they're one in the same. This is what I had on my HTC Sensation 4G. Take a look at this document:
Kineto Wireless is the key innovator and leading supplier of Smart Wi-Fi solutions for mobile operators. The
company?s solutions enable mobile operators to turn more than 200 million existing public and private Wi-Fi access
points into seamless extensions of their mobile networks. With Smart Wi-Fi, subscribers can receive all their
mobile services over Wi-Fi instead of the macro network, boosting indoor coverage and improving the mobile
data experience, while securely offloading the mobile network. The company?s Smart Wi-Fi products and services,
based on the 3GPP UMA/GAN standard

wowsher

Jul 5, 2011
www.ordner.us
The older one t-mobile called UMA (on the phone) was GAN-preferred and the newer one they call "wifi calling" (again on the phone) is GAN-only. Still two generations of calling but thank you for the link as I was not aware they were both part of the GAN spec and considered different implementations of UMA (which I now understand is just a blanket description of voice access over external ip to the phone providers core network).

Anyhow always looking to learn new things.

thank you
wowsher