Received Unlocked Galaxy Nexus Today

wr1020

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
As the title states i received my Nexus today and it is my first Android phone. I'm loving it so far and i'm glad i made the jump from the iphone. I'm currently with AT&T and had a question about porting my number. I'm waiting for ATT to send me the email for verification to unlock my current iphone then i plan on selling it. I planned on going with the prepaid $30 Tmobile plan and porting my current number over. If the service isn't that great in my area and decide to go with straight talk would i be able to port my number again? I'm hoping Tmobile works out but if it doesn't i don't want to lose my number. I'm in the Los Angeles area so i think the coverage will be fine, ATT's coverage sucks out here so who knows. If someone can clear this up for me i'd appreciate it, thanks.

Last edited:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You should have no problem transferring the number back and forth. You might want to ask anyone who has T-Mobile in your area how the reception is first though. I use them here in NY but there are quite a few dead spots during my commute that drives me nuts when I am listening to Pandora.

BTW, SimpleMobile leases from T-Mobile so if T-Mobile reception becomes an issue where you are SimpleMobile is not a solution. :)

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can port your number to Straight Talk. I just took my # from T-Mobile Monthly 4G to ST and it worked fine, ported in a few days. Be sure to give them all of the appropriate account information in the port request. I accidentally left out the PIN on my account and they had to call me back a couple days later to verify.

jtaclas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Another option will be to port your number over to google voice. Then you can have any mobile number and jump from carrier to carrier. GV works really well w/ android and is seamless. Although lacking MMS, I noticed recently that MMS sent to my GV number is now emailed to me. There are discussions here regarding GV so you might want to read up before AT&T frees your iPhone.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Another option will be to port your number over to google voice. Then you can have any mobile number and jump from carrier to carrier. GV works really well w/ android and is seamless. Although lacking MMS, I noticed recently that MMS sent to my GV number is now emailed to me. There are discussions here regarding GV so you might want to read up before AT&T frees your iPhone.

MMS sent to a Google Voice number will only go to your email if its coming from a Sprint customer. Been like this for a while, and there really haven't been any changes to GV lately.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jtaclas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
MMS sent to a Google Voice number will only go to your email if its coming from a Sprint customer. Been like this for a while, and there really haven't been any changes to GV lately.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ahh I see... FROM a sprint customer. Yes you're right it was from Sprint.

Last edited:

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
See this is what I did with my Sprint acct. I left them and had my number ported to GV. The number that is on my gsm chip from Tmo is a different number. With the nexus and Google Voice it's dead simple to have the phone dialer use GV directly. This way If I decide to go to Straight talk in the future, the number everyone has for me can stay the same. Now if you don't like GV's messaging app there is a way to use a third party messaging app but you need to root for that. Another thing is you can set GV up so that any voicemail you get from it can be directly played in the dialer.

SecularRhyme

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
See this is what I did with my Sprint acct. I left them and had my number ported to GV. The number that is on my gsm chip from Tmo is a different number. With the nexus and Google Voice it's dead simple to have the phone dialer use GV directly. This way If I decide to go to Straight talk in the future, the number everyone has for me can stay the same. Now if you don't like GV's messaging app there is a way to use a third party messaging app but you need to root for that. Another thing is you can set GV up so that any voicemail you get from it can be directly played in the dialer.

I'm trying to do just that with my Sprint number and it just keeps telling me that porting is not available, just Sprint integration. I did used to use the Sprint integration, but turned it off to try and port. Did you have any issues like this? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez