Does anyone actually use the recent apps button?

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I think I've used it like twice. I have my home screens organized so everything is no more than two taps away. So it just seems like the button could have been put to better use like the one x. I think even a screenshot button would be more useful than recent apps.
Maybe I'm just missing something here. What do you all think?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I also use it more than I thought. If I wanted to have to go back to the home screen every time I wanted to open an app I would be using an iPhone

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I use it often. It may be psychosomatic, but clearing six or more apps seems to reduce occasional lag.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I never use mine. Drives me insane and wish it were used for something else. I miss the old school menu button still tbh

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't get it either. Couldn't we just long press the home button and get a grid of recently used apps? Seems like a wasted button to me too. Better served as search or even reprogrammable within the OS.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Central Forums

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Recent applications is kinda useful to view some information in 2 separate application. I know it sounds stupid... But i find it useful when you cant copy number or text.. I just use recent apps to verify information. Lol.. Before 4.2 it was actually better because page stayed in the background you could still see through tint.. Now it just shrinks everything in small preview windows.. But if you zoom on particular info and then launch recent apps it will display zoomed so you could clearly see what you need between two applications.

yaatzek

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I also find it useful. Before gnex I had samsung s1 and s2 and there to enter recents I had to long press home button, and believe me this one is way better. From those devices I've also got used to menu button which was missing for me on stock rom... that's way I've moved to cm and have full control over the nav bar :D

anon(1019781)

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes! It's incredibly useful. If you want to see something that's NOT useful, look at Windows Phone's 3 button arrangement. Instead of the recent apps button, they have a search button. Be thankful Android got rid of the 4-button arrangement it used to have.

I don't get it either. Couldn't we just long press the home button and get a grid of recently used apps? Seems like a wasted button to me too. Better served as search or even reprogrammable within the OS.

The purpose of the recent app buttons is speed. You want to quickly switch apps, not wait to long press the home button every time. With the way it is now, I can jump between 3 different apps without waiting.

Last edited:

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

I hated having to long press the home button, and i do use the recent apps button although it still isn't as good as using Wave launcher.

Also, it's a little off topic since I don't know if you're interested in custom roms , but Cyanogenmod has the ability to edit the soft buttons. I added a persistent search key, but you can take off the recent apps key if you like.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355923425083.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355923425083.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 52

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I just used it :) I use it a lot I find.....a lot of the time I use it just to swipe away recent apps I have used.......other times to go quickly back to a recent app....I use it a lot now that I think about it in this way.....say I am writing a tweet, a FB status update or an image to Instagram, say as I am typing that post and I forget the custom tags I have in another app, I would then go to that app, copy tags , go to recent apps and my tweet or whatever is there waiting to be finished....

Jeprokz

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I use it quite often as well. I use it especially when i'm switching constantly between 2 more apps because i'm trying to multi-task lol...