help me justify a google TV

Lancer033

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a 42" HDTV
Cox DVR
PS3

Most of my DVD collection is ripped to an external hard drive connected to the PS3 so I have DVD/Blue Ray/digital movies along with Hulu+ and Netflix, and if i have to Sony's movie store (only used it once, but it works). I can also watch youtube and surf the net, but the browser isn't that great so i don't and don't know how much i would anyways.

With that capability in the PS3 i can't really justify buying a Google TV even though i think the idea is really good.

Am i right in thinking that my Cox DVR won't interface with Google TV? That might be the only thing to push me over the edge.

Am i missing something that Google TV does?

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
COX DVR box... you can use it, but GTV will not be able to control the DVR function. Works great if you want to move to dish. Your PS3 does every thing GTV would do for you. The one thing my revue provides for me is seemless integration with my whole AV system.

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
You shouldn't need to be "talked" into it.

It will work with your current DVR setup and you will be able to control some DVR functions. What you want be able to do is search DVR'd items using the search function and you will not be able to schedule future programing via the search feature.

The only justification you need: Think of all the dumb things you've purchased over the years that cost you $100+.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The main reason I bought my Revue was that I got tired of needing to power on my XBox 360 to watch TV, the Revue is much more energy efficient than the XBox and it's silent. If you don't have any problem with frying bacon on your set top box there may not be much in it for you unless you're interested in the GTV apps or just like toys.

I wasn't willing to buy a Sony GTV model for a variety of non-GTV-related reasons, but Vizio has thrown their hat into the GTV ring as well (I don't know if any of their VIA+ models are available yet). I like the idea of it in the TV better than an outside box even better (mostly because Yahoo Widgets are a complete waste) so if you're in the market for a new TV anyway GTV-enabled devices will limit your selection somewhat but it may be worth looking.